Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give me the dimensions of these units, both a single hexer and a double? Wondering how they fit and play out on Heroscape tiles.

I am thinking about making a move to pick up a big lot of these things if they turn out to play as well as they look. So, if anyone here has such a thing (big lot) I’d be open a discussing a trade.

Thanks,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thinking a little further, I might only want to collect the single based dudes. I like the scale of medium and small in DDM, seldom run a Large, and in this case, a Large is a hex eater, making movement problematic on a densely terrained set up like I typically run.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier/cheaper to pick up the single based figures? Do we know how many of the figs are large and for that matter, is the rarity skewed towards them, as if often the case?

Somebody?

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bud Sinigaglio
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
These miniatures fit perfectly on Heroscape tiles. If Heroscape tiles are 45 mm across, then the Combat Hex TMG minis are 40 mm across. The figures are 40-60 mm tall from the bottom of their bases. That is just an average. Some have spears that rise 70 or 80 mm and Gimli is barely 30 mm high.

The mounted units occupy 2 hexes and, as you would expect, are 80 mm long--exactly double the length of the single hex figures.

As with several other miniatures games, the larger units see less action. The cavalry (2-hex) figures in this game are not as space-consuming as the 4-square, large minis in DDM or SWM. The Cave Troll, Sauron, Treebeard, and Mordor Troll occupy 4 hexes and are a bit cumbersome on the battlefield. They are not nearly as annoying as the TIE Crawler in SWM though, that thing's base wiped out 9 squares and another dozen from its bulky shape.

The Base Set figures are still easy to find. Large lots go off on ebay every month. You can usually get them for about $1 apiece. Base Set included 120 different figures.

The Fellowship of the Ring set was next. This set started the spin-dials on the base; the sliders on the bases of the figures from Base Set were no more. One can still find some of these on ebay, but they are harder to find. Bigcoin runs the last known TMG ebay store. He still carries a majority of the pieces from most sets.

The mounted figures started in the Two Towers set. They are very difficult to find. 32 of the 84 pieces in this set were on horseback (2-hexes). One Cavalry and 2 foot soldier figures came in a booster, back in the day.

The Paths of the Dead pieces and especially the Return of the King figures are extremely rare out there. 27 of the 82 RotK figs were mounted--all rare.

The Base Set does represent Middle Earth quite well. Your collection could be up and running in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me this: You say the figs fit near perfectly on the HS hex. There is a raised area on each hex that the trees, for example, fit over, providing a kind of form to hold it lightly in place. The figures here look as if they might fit like that as well. It would be neat if they did.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrian
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this image, might help.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Zg1NISPoCIA/TPujUMch_qI/AAAAAAAAA3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cadrian, that helps.

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick and probably obvious question. If you only have your allotted APs for the duration of the battle, what happens when you run out of them? No doubt I am missing the replenish mechanism.

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Casa Grande
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob,

I believe, when a figure runs out of it's APs they are gone, they don't replenish. Some characters have a special ability that can replenish those points on a single figure as an action. I think Gandolf and Elrond can...

It's been a while since I've played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sean,

Yeah, they just aren't available anymore. I had mixed up the turn actions with APs.

R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm coming in late to this discussion (I don't visit BGG as often as I used to). Anyway, here's my two cents:

Bud Sinigaglio, nailed it with his analysis and dimensions. All my LotR stuff is packed away in my storage unit, so it would be difficult to go measure them. But they are awaiting the arrival of Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" movies later this year and next and hopefully a revivsl of all things Tolkienesque and Middle-Earthish.

I only got into HeroScape because some online buddies on the old (now defunct) Sabertoothgames Forums raved about how well our LotR Combat Hex minis fit onto the HeroScape tiles, thus transforming on battlefields from the 2D world of flat paper maps to the marvelous 3D universe of model Rail Roading and Games Workshop's (etc.) style table top games (WH & 40K).

Although I've only done limited experimentation with combining my Combat Hex figures with my HeroScape terrain, the ONLY DRAWBACK that I encountered is the fact that mini's bases are made of the same type of plastic as the tiles and therefore tend to slide. But if this bothers you, it can easily be remidied by flocking your hexes or a drop of Elmer's glue on the bottom of the figures to create a friction layer.

IMHO: The LotR Combat Hex game was intended to only replicate small skirmish battles between a few characters, much like Epic Duels and HeroClix. Most of the discussions I read about game sessions and tournament reports were oriented to the "Army" size of 1,000 - 1,500 points aprx. 10 - 15 figures, like a Chess match). Very few of us saw the potential for truly massive war gaming battles at the 2,500 - 3,000 point level. Maybe the kids couldn't afford that many toy soldiers, and those of us who got bit by the adiction bug got carried away in our OCD. I said all that just to explain why I think there never was a mechanic for replenishing the Action Points - there was no need for it in the small 30 minute encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evolution isn't over
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakelite wrote:

I looked at that image and thought 'Hey, that looks like my coffee table!'.

Then I realised it *was* my coffee table.

It's a small Internet.

I love using Heroscape terrain with LotR Combat Hex. However, it's usually a weekend's commitment to get it set up. Well worth the effort, mind you. I enjoyed that Helm's Deep scenario. The Uruks won easily, I seem to recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.