Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am new to this game and was reading the rules and was wondering why you get to hold a card at the end of each turn? You are dealt 8 cards and there's one headline phase card and 6 action phases. Is there a good strategic advantage to holding the last card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't "get to" hold a card. You must hold any cards you still have at the end of your turn (usually 1 card).

Holding that card allows you 1 more slot for not playing an unfavorable event. Or you can hold a useful card for the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
What you wrote is exactly why. You have 8 cards. Under normal circumstances, you use 1 for the headline phase, and then 6 for the action phases, i.e. a total of 7. You have one card leftover and that is carried over into the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not "get to" as much as "often have to." There's a headline phase and six action rounds, so you'll usually play seven cards and have one left over. If you use a card like UN Intervention, you'll end without a held card. If you use the China Card, you'll end up holding one more card.

That said, it can be advantageous to hold cards. For example, a powerful card that requires prerequisites that have not yet happened, or that you want to use in combination with other cards you don't have. Or if you have two very nasty opponent's events and can only send one of them to the space race. If you hold the other, maybe you can space it next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Doubly ninja'd!ninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I sort my hand I try and do it by:

1. My cards/joint cards safe to play (usually)

2. His cards that are OK to play - I can mitigate the effect (play at end of turn or spend ops on damage repair?) or want to get rid of his event early.

3. His cards I do not want to play at all - space race and/or China card

4. His cards I don't want him to have for a while - keep

So holding a card is a crucial part of the game as well as often required anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
And what do I do in the following cases:
1) I have two cards at the end of the last Action Round of the turn (ie the China card was played), one of them being a Scoring card.
2) I have only a Scoring card left
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plumbum wrote:
1) I have two cards at the end of the last Action Round of the turn (ie the China card was played), one of them being a Scoring card.
?

You lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Plumbum wrote:
?

You lose.

OK. And what if I have two regular cards? Do I keep them both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plumbum wrote:
jaysachs wrote:
Plumbum wrote:
?

You lose.

OK. And what if I have two regular cards? Do I keep them both?

Yes, unless you've reached the Space Race spot that lets you discard a held card, in which case you can optionally discard one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Jay. One more question: if the China card wasn't played during the turn, am I obliged to pass it to the opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plumbum wrote:
Thanks, Jay. One more question: if the China card wasn't played during the turn, am I obliged to pass it to the opponent?

No, not at all. You only pass the China Card when you play it,or when a triggered event -- e.g. Nixon, Ussuri River -- specify you should pass it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.