Subject: Successful Flee attrition question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you successfully flee, do you have to discard half your cards (rounded up) from your hand and then Lose the same amount of cards? Or, do you just Lose the amount of cards? The rulebook makes it sound like you discard and then lose, while the Unofficial Community FAQ makes it sound like you just do the Lose portion.

Thanks for any clarification.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can discard from three sources, if you Flee successfully:

1. Your hand
2. The top of your deck
3. Any card you like from your discard pile (except zombies, but this goes for options 1 and 2 also)

Each card you trash this way counts as one of the cards you have to lose.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
You can discard from three sources, if you Flee successfully:

1. Your hand
2. The top of your deck
3. Any card you like from your discard pile (except zombies, but this goes for options 1 and 2 also)

Each card you trash this way counts as one of the cards you have to lose.

Cameron

Your answer for number 2 is not correct. You can discard cards from the draw deck, BUT if you draw zombies they ARE DISCARDED (so here you have to gamble whether you would like to run the risk to lose a valuable swag card , but you can also get rid of pesky Zombies...)

Quote from the second printing Rules, section Flee, lose cards to attrition

"discard cards .... (Zombies discarded go to the Zombie discard)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
When you successfully flee, do you have to discard half your cards (rounded up) from your hand and then Lose the same amount of cards? Or, do you just Lose the amount of cards? The rulebook makes it sound like you discard and then lose, while the Unofficial Community FAQ makes it sound like you just do the Lose portion.

Thanks for any clarification.

Michael

I am not sure whether you got the amount of cards that need to be discarded correctly. It is NOT half your hand you lose, it is half of the attrition value of the ENTIRE horde. So, with a large horde, you could even lose more cards than you have in your hand.

Be sure to use the second printing rules, which can be found in the download section. They are better than the first printing rules (which were a pain in the back). Also, there are quite a few very helpful play-aids in the download section, this one perfectly clarifies which number of cards you have to discard and from which source you can pick them in any given situation:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71914/fight-flee-chart

(...and don't forget to thumb and/or tip after downloading)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Your answer for number 2 is not correct. You can discard cards from the draw deck, BUT if you draw zombies they ARE DISCARDED (so here you have to gamble whether you would like to run the risk to lose a valuable swag card , but you can also get rid of pesky Zombies...)

Quote from the second printing Rules, section Flee, lose cards to attrition

"discard cards .... (Zombies discarded go to the Zombie discard)"

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that you cannot willingly choose to discard zombie cards, but yes, if you discard from the top of your deck you may get lucky and discard zombie cards that way.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications. I am going by the latest rule book from the files section:

Quote:
If you fled successfully, discard cards equal to half the Attrition value of the entire Horde, rounded up. Lose cards from your hand (no
Zombies) or your draw pile (Zombies discarded go to the Zombie
Discard) or Swag cards (no Zombies) from your discard
This makes it sound like if you have cards in your hand then you must discard half the attrition value in cards and THEN lose half the attrition value in cards from either your hand, draw pile or discard pile. Which would make a difference if you wanted to keep a card in your hand for your next turn.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely confusion with terms here. My interpretation (which may well be wrong) is as follows:

Lose = cards returned to supply (the zombie deck is the zombie "supply pile")
Discard = cards put in personal discard pile

With these definitions attrition means losing cards equal to the attrition requirement (value of horde, unless successful fleeing when it is half the value of the horde). Zombies can never be chosen for attrition (but can be lost blindly from the top of the deck).

As far as I know discarding (as defined above) is irrelevant to attrition.

Is that how others see it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure but you might have been/be getting this rule passage wrong. What is says is:

You have to loose half the attrition value in cards (in general) THESE cards can be picked from the discard, your hand and/or the draw pile, so for example if you were to lose 5 cards, you could pick 2 from the draw pile (Zombies go to Zombie discard), 2 from your hand (no zombie) and one from the discard pile (no Zombie)

They way you described it you discarded half the attrition value from your hand and then lost half the attrition value from your hand/drawpile/discard, which is NOT correct, although there is some ambiguity in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginarley wrote:
There is definitely confusion with terms here. My interpretation (which may well be wrong) is as follows:

Lose = cards returned to supply (the zombie deck is the zombie "supply pile")
Discard = cards put in personal discard pile

With these definitions attrition means losing cards equal to the attrition requirement (value of horde, unless successful fleeing when it is half the value of the horde). Zombies can never be chosen for attrition (but can be lost blindly from the top of the deck).

As far as I know discarding (as defined above) is irrelevant to attrition.

Is that how others see it?

No the rules of this game are still ambigue in the second edition and the definition of terms is not always precise. If your definition was true you indeed have to DISCARD half your attrition value first and THEN loose half the attrition value again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
No the rules of this game are still ambigue in the second edition and the definition of terms is not always precise. If your definition was true you indeed have to DISCARD half your attrition value first and THEN loose half the attrition value again

That was kind of my point - the terms are not clearly used in the rulebook either. The first "discard" should say "lose" in order to be consistent shouldn't it?

ETA:

Quote:
If you fled successfully, discard lose cards equal to half the Attrition value of the entire Horde, rounded up. Lose cards from your hand (no
Zombies) or your draw pile (Zombies discarded go to the Zombie
Discard) or Swag cards (no Zombies) from your discard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I am not sure but you might have been/be getting this rule passage wrong.
I just copied what is in the actual rulebook, which is why I was asking the question about whether you have to discard THEN lose cards or do you just lose cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginarley wrote:
Mixo wrote:

That was kind of my point - the terms are not clearly used in the rulebook either. The first "discard" should say "lose" in order to be consistent shouldn't it?

[/q]

Oh, we absolutely agree on your point - it was my mistake, I wanted my passage to begin with

NOW

not

No

So I perfectly agree with you that the rules are still ambiguous and that the terms used in the rules are not always clearly defined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Oh, we absolutely agree on your point - it was my mistake, I wanted my passage to begin with

NOW

not

No

So I perfectly agree with you that the rules are still ambiguous and that the terms used in the rules are not always clearly defined.

Funny how one letter can change a sentence eh, all good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when you loose cards either when loosing a fight or fleeing, is it always the value of the cards compared to the attrition value or is it the number of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose a NUMBER of cards equal to the attrition value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thx...another rule played wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.