Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

My gaming group is a huge fan of dominion... generally we play as 2 or 3 player games...

They are not as "geeky' as me, so I tend to go for more gateway type games, and generally try and avoid anything with sci-fi themes etc...

My closest gaming friends are huge football fans (American)... so that lead me to consider Blood Bowl Team Manager... the card game... on the other hand, I keep hearing great things about summoner wars.

While Summoner wars is likely/arguably a better game... it is limited to two players, and doesn't have the football theme.

Any thoughts on which of the two I should get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is by far the superior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you asked them which game they're more interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Summoner Wars is a much better game, but it's best played with 2 players (you CAN play it with 4 but it seems tacked on, and you'd have to make your own rules to play with 3.)

With that said, Blood Bowl Team Manager is really a card game, where Summoner Wars is deeper, having a resource management system and spatial tactics.

Both have dice/cards/luck, and I enjoy both, but for two I would take Summoner Wars every time.

For a fun combination of these two games, have a look at Battleball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
i own both...both scratch a different itch...unfortunately for me i cant pick one or the other (obv since i own both 8) .) but i honestly feel like you cant go wrong with either since they are both very easy to learn and easy to teach. id tell them what each is and let them decide which to pick up first tho. but ill say it again...both games are great and worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like BB team manager and our whole group did as well. Fun game to play. Our gaming is a social event so 2 player games just arent our thing.

I think it boils down to how many people you are regularly playing with. If its just 2 then summoner wars is great. If you have 3-4 people regularly then I would say team manager is the better choice. ( team manager plays fine with 2 as well )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is a great game with 2p. It is still a great game with 4 but it can last 2-3 times as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
Summoner Wars is a great game with 2p. It is still a great game with 4 but it can last 2-3 times as long.

i was gonna write the same thing lol def takes a bit longer but can be quite a bit more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Summoner Wars thumbsup

Note:
I found Dominion kind of dry.
I haven't played Blood Bowl Team Manager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
+1 Summoner Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Summoner Wars, but I can whole-heartedly recommend Team Manager!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love Blood Bowl Team Manager. As others mentioned, I think your decision will be more based on if you need a game for more then 2 players. Probably both good games (never played Summoner Wars)... but I will confirm that BB:TM is a great pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.