Thumb up
2 Posts

Takenoko» Forums » Variants

Subject: Uses for blank tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Porter
flag msg tools
It's a shame the two blank tiles (and one blank improvement token) included with this game aren't printed on the back, but this could easily be rectified with a scanner and a bit of sticker paper (or double sided tape and high resolution printer paper). There is also plenty of scope for cutting many new improvement tokens from the remaining card stock after punching out all the game components. A craft knife, ruler, and steady hand is all that's needed.

Can anyone come up with some good variant tiles to play with or with new "improvement" tokens?

My initial thoughts:

1. Improvement: Delicious Bamboo - Panda can eat two pieces in one turn from this tile.

2. Barren land: Nothing will grow on this tile. It cannot be irrigated, and does not count as Yellow, Pink, or Green for objective purposes. This adds a competitive element to the game, since its only real benefit is when used to prevent an opponent achieving the plot objective you suspect they may be planning.

3. Versatile Soil: Bamboo of any colour will grow here. The choice is made by the player to place the first piece of bamboo. For the purposes of plot objectives the tile is considered to match the colour of whatever bamboo is growing on it at the time. If no bamboo is growing on it, it can be considered ANY colour for plot objectives.

One problem with adding new tiles, of course, is that they will look different, at least in shade/colouring if not design, even if using printed backs on sticker paper. This will make them easier to spot when they come up on the tiles draw pile, and may influence someone to take the draw action. I suppose if one of the new tiles is positive (Versatile Soil) and one is negative (Barren land) the player would have to take a calculated risk when deciding whether to draw tiles or not (i.e. Is the card I can see, with the new back, barren or versatile?).

I have experimented with colour and the following tile back is virtually indistinguishable from the original when printed on high resolution paper. I gave it a few trial runs and messed with brightness/contrast to get it just right.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
flag msg tools
I really like the artwork you made for the improvements and tiles. Perhaps for your "barren land" addition, you might change the name to "Zen meditation garden" with a rock garden image--it sounds more thematic that way.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.