Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a Euro that can play well with 2 with the theme of winemaking. I understand Vinhos is excellent, but perhaps too long and complex for my wife to be interested in. I need something in the complexity level of Lancaster, Stone Age, Magnum Sal, Hamburgum, etc. I would also like a real winemaking process theme, not just a game with glasses of wine in it (no pasted on theme!).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
This one would fit your needs, but I haven't tried it with two players - I can definitely say it works great with 4!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is likely Grand Cru. About the complexity level you're looking for. We didn't like it 2 player. We felt the auction system was kind of broken with only 2, but we seem to be in the minority on that, and plenty of other folks don't see it as a problem at all.

Your other best bet is Vintage which came out this year. It looks pretty interesting, and about the right level of complexity, but I haven't played it, so can't comment. I'm sure others can though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vino

Not bad, typical Euro with bonus of lovely components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Vino is minimum 3 players, and Toscana isn't really about making wine per se. Wine could be replaced with just about any commodity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
...[SNIP]... and Toscana isn't really about making wine per se. Wine could be replaced with just about any commodity.

Which is a typical characteristic of an Euro.
Although I have to agree. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Grand Cru might fit the bill, but I will need three players. I looked at Drakkenstrike's video on it and think it will work. My 8 year old daughter is a gamer and she can play this without a problem. Lots of helpful advice. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
rahdo wrote:
Your best bet is likely Grand Cru.
Your other best bet is Vintage which came out this year. It looks pretty interesting, and about the right level of complexity, but I haven't played it, so can't comment. I'm sure others can though

I was going mention Vintage myself and glad to see it has been mentioned. Having played both Grand Cru and Vintage, the choice would depend on what you want out of a game.

Grand Cru starts with the players in debt and trying to build their economic engine (ie winery) to get out of that debt. But rather than doing so slowly, the game has an acceleration and one might be caught unawares when the incomes suddenly accelerate ending the game.

Vintage has a simple and advanced game, but most BGG gamers need not bother with the simple game. Due to the few turns in this game, it does reward efficiency and not wasting tempos as one produces port.

I would place Vintage a lower in complexity compared to Grand Cru but both are playable in a 90-120 minutes which sounds like it would appeal to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Grand Cru
But I´d say it´s a little heavyer then Stone Age, even though it can be played in little more than one hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.