Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can Specials be played even if you're NOT using their benefit (ie: wasted) so you can cycle faster to cards you think you're going to need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

Can Specials be played even if you're NOT using their benefit (ie: wasted) so you can cycle faster to cards you think you're going to need?

Yes, you can. For most cards, the effects are singularly positive or have "may" text on them so you don't have to do them, so there's no reason why you couldn't do this and be fully within the rules.

It certainly can be a good idea if you're trying to rush to get a truce card before the war swings back the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
mikecl wrote:

Yes, you can. For most cards, the effects are singularly positive or have "may" text on them so you don't have to do them, so there's no reason why you couldn't do this and be fully within the rules.

It certainly can be a good idea if you're trying to rush to get a truce card before the war swings back the other way.

However, Truce cards are movement cards. You can only play one movement card on a turn. If you want to rush to get a Truce card played, you need to use it as your movement card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but if he dumps his specials, he will draw more cards to fill his hand, increasing the chances he'll draw that truce card, or other, stronger movement or specials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Yes, but if he dumps his specials, he will draw more cards to fill his hand, increasing the chances he'll draw that truce card, or other, stronger movement or specials.

Quite right, I misunderstood the point of his comment. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On Consimworld, at Academy Games forum, Uwe Eickert said this in answer to the same question about throwing away Special Cards:

"2. You cannot just throw away or discard special cards. This is not in the spirit of the game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
On Consimworld, at Academy Games forum, Uwe Eickert said this in answer to the same question about throwing away Special Cards:

"2. You cannot just throw away or discard special cards. This is not in the spirit of the game"

Well I guess I stand corrected. To me the special cards are there to help you, not hinder you, so if it is hindering you, and you can play it but not take full use of it, in order to manage your hand better, then I don't see a problem personally.

This would not always be an easy rule to enforce anyway, as sometimes you play a card hoping you can use it but then the situation dictates that you cannot. And also it would just be easy a lot of the time to play the special card and then do something trivial where the action of the card is taken but it doesn't really change anything, just for the sake of getting rid of the card.

I've never played this way myself (so maybe I just agree with Uwe that it isn't in the spirit of the game) but I wouldn't jump on anyone's case for doing it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised because the hand is a limiting factor and it's completely driven by chance (card order determined by random shuffle). It seems to me in order to manage your game and not be played BY it that you should be able to cycle specials that aren't doing you much good for cards that might improve your situation.

The rules on the face of them don't say you can't. They say you can play up to two specials and a move card on your turn.

You're paying a price in burying specials because there's only four of them in each deck. So there's a definite drawback to doing it. I think it's very much IN the spirit of the game.

I wouldn't mind hearing from Jeph Stahl on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't discard Special Cards, as the rules state you play them to get them out of your hand.

There are a lot of the special cards abilities can be ignored at the discretion of the active player.
eg. don't move the maximum distance with forced march #12
eg. don't move the maximum number of armies with william harrison #10
eg. don't engage in battle with cards that affect battles
Some special cards specifically say 'may'. Others do not.
eg. playing publication ban#11 must be performed.
eg. adding units must be performed unless the situations doesn't exits

Also note that some special cards can't be played with water movement cards. These would have to stay in your hand when playing a water movement card.

All that being said, special cards add a benefit to the active player. Playing them and not using the ability doesn't sound like a generally good idea, as the replacement cards drawn at the end of the turn, won't be available until your next turn, which give the opponents a full round to act.

There is indeed a fair amount of hand management when it comes to special cards. The Americans must be careful when holding two special cards for the next turn as they might be forced to play a truce.

I hope this helps clarify,
Jeph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does and thanks Jeph. I haven't really studied the cards, but it looks like they're flexible enough to get out of your hand by playing them anyway.

On your third example are you saying you can play a card that affects battles and then NOT engage in a battle. It's almost like a discard at that point.

And on your last example when you say "adding units must be performed unless the situation doesn't exist"...are you saying that you can play this card and then NOT add the units because the situation (which you're creating) doesn't exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, For example the turn coat lets you replace a Canadian Militia for an American Militia in one battle. You could avoid this by not engaging in a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jstahl wrote:
Yes, For example the turn coat lets you replace a Canadian Militia for an American Militia in one battle. You could avoid this by not engaging in a battle.

Just to be clear and not to belabour the point, but could I "play" a special without it having to take effect as long as the "possibility" existed that it could?

It's damn close to a discard at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
but could I "play" a special without it having to take effect as long as the "possibility" existed that it could?

I don't think that reads right. If you play a special card and the conditions don't exist, you obviously don't apply the effects. But the card can still be played. But this is rare.

card = effects
War Hawks = may
William Harrison = may
Publication Ban = must (unless Rome is under enemy control)
Forced March = may
Kentucky Militia = must (if battle)
Hometown Support = must
Captain Aisquith's Sharpshooters = must (if battle)
Turncoat = must (if battle)
Mackinac Reinforcements = must
Fife and Drum = may
Napoleon Defeated = must
General Brock = must
Ambush = must (if battle)
Laura Secord = must
Billy Green = must (if battle)
Training = must
John Brant = must
Tecumseh = must (if battle)
John Norton = may
War Cry = may

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 7 of the 20 cards listed are actually "musts" that would invalidate the playing of the card if the conditions didn't exist.

The rest are either "mays" or "musts" that pertain to battles. In the latter case you've said those cards can be played even if the battles don't take place.

Therefore you can in effect play the majority of these specials as discards except for the seven that are straight "musts" with no other conditions.

I'm fine with that, but you can see where I was having an issue with whether you could discard cards or whether you had to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Jarvinen
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the resurrection but I'm still trying to clarify a point in my own mind about playing 'Special' cards.

I fully understand that you cannot just discard a card to get rid of it.

There are also some Special cards that cannot be played with Water Movement cards, which are explicitly stated.

But other than that, are there ANY Special Cards that cannot be played due to some 'condition'?

If not, I'm thinking it might be clearer to just state:
"You can always play one or two Special cards from your hand unless the Movement card played specifically forbids it."

(Note: the issue of whether you 'must' or 'may' apply the effects is a different question, and is not what I'm asking about.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that wording. You good with that Jeph?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.