United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yom Kippur War: DAR and Impressions

[Note: DAR = During Action Report]

Yom Kippur War (MMP) is part of the Standard Combat Series (SCS).

This warrants a word: the SCS games have a set of series rules in common, 7 well-illustrated pages with plenty of white space.

Most war gamers will recognize the basic IGO/UGO, ZOC foundation of the rules. ZOCs are kind of sticky (2 MP to enter, move through as many as you have MPs), retreats can be traded against step losses, and over-run combat and exploitation movement are standard features. Simple supply rules. No brainer, right?

Wrong. Each of the series games (I have Bastogne, Stalingrad Pocket, Rock of the Marne, and Yom Kippur War) add rules for the specific engagement (YK War adds 7 pages, not counting scenarios). MMP has done an outstanding job of modular design, with each game rule set both modifying the series rules and adding game specific rules that define the 'flavor' of the battle. I highly recommend you try one.

YK War starts with the Egyptian assault across Suez, moving through the massive Israeli counter-attack, and ends when the Super Powers impose a cease fire (a die roll that gets more likely as you progress through the 12 game turns). VPs are awarded for getting over the Suez, capturing key VP hexes. Both sides have aggressive conditions that collide violently ... no hunkering down on your gains and waiting in this game.

Throw in SAMs, Frogs, Hawks, air power, air-mobile assaults and the possibility for Soviet and US ground forces to come to blows, and you have a pretty interesting situation.

I've just completed the Egyptian turn 1 and overall, it goes well. Pushing past the Bar Lev forts is not hard. The plan is to concentrate on grabbing the southern part of the board where the most VP hexes reside, so main push is there. The Egyptian armor and mech forces have taken up defensive positions well away from the Suez, and next turn the slower infantry and artillery will follow.

It's not all fun and games for the attackers ... in a few turns several highly effective divisions of Israeli armor and infantry will arrive. The Egyptians don't dare venture out from under their SAM umbrella (12 hexes) but the SAM units cannot cross Suez, limiting maneuver. The IAF can slip through the SAMs with a little luck, and I envision the steady erosion of that protective capability as the game goes on.

Keep tuned, I'll post turn ends here as long as they seem interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.