West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught two fellow BGG'ers (Gary Gray and J. L. Robert) BIOS: MEGAFAUNA today:

RED (Steve)
ORANGE (Gary)
GREEN (J.L.)

While my focus was on teaching the game, I wanted to develop marine species in the southern Tropics. Secondarily, I planned to have an amphibian species compete in the northern latitudes.

Gary opted to stay on land, and to develop family units where a predator child feeds on its herbivore parent. Gary also went for the large size advantage to deter predators and to win "size" herbivore niche contests.

J.L. had a balanced strategy that relied heavily on Roadrunner DNA. He stayed primarily on land, but later ventured into the oceans. He also sought to retain the most Genes not only to deny Gary and I, but also to win scoring round ties.

My RED had trouble keeping its amphibian species alive, and my marine species were surrounded by land at one point in the game. I managed to stay competitive by maximizing the Biomes around my homeland.

Gary's ORANGE family units spread about the map as he was able to chain his expansions and he kept his Roadrunner DNA down. The family unit strategy is risky because when a Biome went extinct, he'd lose 2 animals (1 herbivore + 1 predator) instead of the usual one animal.

J.L's GREEN adapated very well to the ever-changing map, but his expansion into the oceans was halted when I obtained Division of Labor (DoL) and was able to eject his herbivores from the seas because I prevailed in the detention contests (due to my DoL culture). Still, J.L. adapted once again and changed to a predator to feed on my herbivores.

As the earth continued to cool, a catastrophe rendered two of J.L's four species extinct, while I lost one of my three species; all three of Gary's species survived the solar flare event.

In the end, when the last period deck of cards exhausted, ORANGE dominated the map (despite mine and J.L.'s best efforts) with his family units, so Gary claimed the win. He played the best game, and deserved the victory.

GREEN came in a close second. J.L. did a superb job balancing his species and being flexible with his options; he earned runner-up status with a well-played game.

My RED ended up a distant third. While I did well in the marine environments, I failed to penetrate into the land areas as my amphibian species either went extinct or suffered too many animal losses. Some weak play on my part (e.g., rendering one of my own new predator species extinct when its [my] herbivore prey picked up a Roadrunner DNA card that my own predator species didn't have - oops) contributed to my defeat.

If you've read my full illustrated review of BIOS here on the Geek, then you know that I absolutely love this design - it's become a top favorite, and this fabulous session only reinforced that view. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the session report. Your review and session reports have greatly added to my own enjoyment of the game. I tried to push the game too much at the beginning and missed way too much of the experience. The deeper game elements didn't become apparent to me until I slowed the game down and started enjoying the experience. Your reports have definitely helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JV13 wrote:
The deeper game elements didn't become apparent to me until I slowed the game down and started enjoying the experience.

I think this is a fairly common reaction for people coming into BIOS 'cold'.

Not being willing to expend the time/effort to properly learn the game, or not having a teacher at the table, concerns me in that some players may write BIOS off without having had a chance to fully understand (and thus fully enjoy) it.

Thank you for the kind words and feedback (very much appreciated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.