Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about what people are doing with more than one player on a side. How much communication/kibitzing is allowed? What happens if a player gets miffed that someone else is moving his blocks away from where he wants them? And do more than two players really slow the game down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one five player game. I believe the rules state full communication about cards is allowed between same side players. We allowed planning communication, etc. without problems. The only real purpose with playing with more than two is social interaction, allowing more time between moves for beer and pretzels. It's a pretty interesting two player game, dull for more. I didn't find that more than two players slowed the game down.

I would never bother playing with more than two players again. Not because my group had a bad time but simply the game is really just a two player game with tacked on rules to allow coop play. In addition 1812 is a very lightweight game, there isn't room for skill differences between same side players to really change the outcome. There are much better multiplayer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkirschenbaum wrote:
I'm curious about what people are doing with more than one player on a side. How much communication/kibitzing is allowed? What happens if a player gets miffed that someone else is moving his blocks away from where he wants them? And do more than two players really slow the game down?

Full communication is allowed. In the end though, it is the faction player's decision where to move blocks and what blocks get moved or removed during battles, and the rest of the players have to live with it.

Different gaming groups will of course act differently, but my experience is that having more players does little to slow the game down. There can be a bit more talking and communication, yes, but each player has a little less to think about too, so decisions can often get made quicker too.

I have to disagree with Robert. I played this game 2 and 3 player with a few people first, and then had a larger 5 player game, and those playing thought it was more fun as a 5 player game than as a 2 player game. But perhaps it depends what you're into - 1812 is a fast, light, streamlined wargame - it's meant to be a "beer and pretzels" game rather than a brain-burning in-depth simulation.

But how you play multiplayer depends on the group - there certainly weren't anybody getting "miffed" in my games - typically the militia players are happy to point out that it usually better for their units to die for the cause, and if one player says, "Don't move them, I have a special plan for them", the teammate would generally comply, and if they didn't, we just lived with it and moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with James. Multiplayer is a lot of fun.

To the OP, I'd say you want to avoid anyone trying to "direct" his/her entire said. There is a review/Session report from BGG con that mentions this, and also mention playing a LOT of games in a few hours, even tho it was always new players each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better multi-player.
The purpose of multi-player is to cause friction in moving and battling.
The militia player rolls command decision & wants to move.
His ally disagrees. Etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.