Railways of England and Wales» Forums » General

Subject: Could this expansion be played 2 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
qrak karq
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello,

I play railways mostly with my wife. We don't like much interaction in our games and we tend to build our railways not getting into each others way. The Mexico map is great nut it can get pretty nasty sometimes (we both can't imagine playing it with 3 players). Thus my questions:
What kind of 2 player experience this expansion delivers?
Does it take longer to play?
Is this much bigger than Mexico/eastern US?
Does the stock market variant work with just two?
And finally how does it compare to Europe expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
qrak_q wrote:
Hello,

I play railways mostly with my wife. We don't like much interaction in our games and we tend to build our railways not getting into each others way. The Mexico map is great nut it can get pretty nasty sometimes (we both can't imagine playing it with 3 players).

I can't imagine playing RotW this way. The game is meant to be nasty. But, the England map is big compared to Mexico so I can't imagine it wouldn't work for you looking for. If you play without the stocks, money is plentiful on the board as there are a lot of short links. Games don't last long on this board either.

The Europe map is highly optimized for nasty play. There are many choke points and dead ends so it seems like you should avoid it if you only plan to play "nice". With 4 players it is tight. With 5, it is (awesome) unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Baumer
Switzerland
Solothurn
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
in my oppinion with only two players the stock variant works even better, than normal play.

First of all, all 6 companies can be created, therefore the short links will be quite split, after 2-3 complete turns.

Both players may buy shares of every company - even the one YOU started with. So if you want to keep "your" company you have to buy more shares. While you do this, your opponent could do something completely different, and now you have all those shares for nothing.

Since the goal is having most money, you have to give yourself Dividend, but if your opponent has 3 shares of the company you control with 4 shares - would you really do it? maybe better create a new company...

I think the share system is so different from normal play, that you will have a good time, setting something up, the other player did not foresee and vice versa.

the map of England and Wales is quite different from the one in Eastern US, cities are much closer, there is no city cluster like NY-area. I prefer it above Mexico also, since it isn't as unforgiving. The field of play is a bit smaller than Eastern US, although the board as such is the same size.

can't comment on Europe because I don't have that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.