Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Prati
Italy
Genova
Genova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the discard pile public ?
In particular a player can check what cards have been discarded ?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see why not. I don't think it's mentioned in the rules at all.

So unless your happy for whoever has the better memory to have the advantage the. Yeah let the discard pile be open.

Side note : in the online implementation it marks off cards that have been used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

In the WBC tournament we require discards to be made face up. I haven't had to make a ruling about players searching through the discard pile yet. My feeling is that would be going a bit too far and would slow the game down - but I acknowledge the argument that this favours players with better memories. On the other hand memory of cards played or discarded is an important feature in many card games.

While we're here, we also have players' money open at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it as hidden. When discarding for a develop, sell cotton, loan or link action you do not have to show what card has been chosen, but only that there was a card used.

So no, you can not look through the discard pile IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play discard face up, but I've never played a game where someone has wanted to look through the pile. I think I'd object if someone tried to.
Also remember that some cards are removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

The reasoning behind the visibility of cards played is that the rules do not distinguish between cards played and cards discarded - even when the card is not relevant to the action (eg shipping cotton or developing) it is still "played", not "discarded":

The type of card you play only has an effect on your options if you choose to Build Industry.

For what it's worth, I ran the tournament clarifications past Martin Wallace and he was happy with them. Of course people can use a house rule about visibility of cards played if they prefer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to favor hidden information in my games, but I cannot imagine having hidden card plays. These are not just "discards". They are actual card plays. Imagine playing something like Combat Commander with hidden cards. It's absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding cards face up favors the aspergers-ish too much as the other people will not be able to remember what cards have been played.

I would have to go all clearclaw and bring my pad and pen to game nights just to equal the playing field. Then who would seem to have aspergers... just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.