Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Has anyone tried playing a game where you can choose your units yourself? I once played a computer game called close combat 2. That game allowed you to "buy" units from a force pool allowing you to customize your force for that specific scenario/objective. I really loved that feature as it added an exciting way to replay the same scenario and sort of an economic dilemma to each game.

Would a similiar system work i CoH? Maybe with the restrictions of say, max one tank, or only using units from a certain time period. Early war, mid war and so on. Of course the buying of units would take place before the game starts. I can see the risk of the scenarios to be tilted to unbalance in this way, what do you think?

Example: My objective is to hold a certain house. Now i could "buy" ONE tiger for ALL my points but that would probably not be very flexible, so i choose to buy two PaKs and two MG 42s + one sniper for the same amount of points. A variant could be to let the opponent see or not see the units i've chosen.

If this would work it would add greatness to the already great CoH series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several point buy system available for download from the files section, there is also an official version in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow countryman!

Ah ok, so that's what the point tables are for, i thought they were made for custom scenarios.

I still have one question though, how do you decide how much req. points each side will have for a certain scenario? Simply converting the existing scenarios to a point pool? I want to keep the balance in the scenarios.

Also, with the point buy systems in the link you provided it looks like big tanks are still quite cheap. Maybe that's a game balance issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
sylvestris wrote:
Ah ok, so that's what the point tables are for, i thought they were made for custom scenarios.

Erik, I think they're for custom scenarios and tweaking of existing ones, as those two are fairly similar IMO.

sylvestris wrote:
I still have one question though, how do you decide how much req. points each side will have for a certain scenario? Simply converting the existing scenarios to a point pool? I want to keep the balance in the scenarios.

Also, with the point buy systems in the link you provided it looks like big tanks are still quite cheap. Maybe that's a game balance issue?

Remember that the point buy system is still in beta. Academy Games, Inc. will hopefully update us on the progress of the system before long. I believe fans of Conflict of Heroes have lots of great stuff to look forward to in 2012.

However, I do think you can go ahead and use the beta list to tweak and exchange units in the printed scenarios just like you suggest, by using an equal number of points as in the printed version of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.