$30.00
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree, this game is a visual feast, fun to play, but doesn't have much depth to it. there's a bit of luck dependent too (especially the plot card points.. the emperor card worth so little, too)
fortunately with the game's simple setup we can easily add house rules to get rid of parts we dislike
anyway, this review is really well done. good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Ferrari
Italy
Bagnolo Cremasco
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

However, it must be said that the game does not have that much depth to it, this is not a game you will play over and over, endlessly discovering new strategies, it's a game that is fun, beautiful and passes the time pleasantly, especially with light gamers.

Great review, even if I have to say that, just why it's light and with not the depth of a brain-burning game (it has got all necessary depth according to me), I'd like to play it over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veenickz wrote:
doesn't have much depth to it. there's a bit of luck dependent too

this somehow scares me away from the game. It it all style over substance? Or does it have something you can sink your teeth into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just bought the game and played it for the first time, I can say that there will definitely be enough meat to the game to keep your teeth happy for a long time.

The game reminds me a lot of Ticket to Ride, in that you need to work off of a communal board and hope that you get what you need built (cultivated, eaten...) before another player comes along ruins your plans. The cards also give it a TTR feel, and knowing which type of card your opponents are collecting can help in building a strategy to block if necessary.

I would totally recommend this game for anyone who enjoys a lighter strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too enjoy playing this game and, like most people really enjoy the look of it. The "problem" I've encountered is that, in the games we've played (2 & 3 player), no-one ever lays an irrigation tile. Why would you waste turns doing so? There's plenty of water supplied by the central lake, the pond tiles and pond tokens. I suppose, to increase their use, you could remove some of these plot tiles and tokens.

Aside from this aspect, the only part of the game I don't like are the plot pattern objective cards. There's something soulless and selfish about their act. At least when the Panda goes munching, it's fun. In fact, I wish all the objective cards themselves were of a higher design/manufacture standard. They're not up the the same quality level as the rest of the game.

APART from these points, it is a good, lightish and unique game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muddy Boots wrote:
The "problem" I've encountered is that, in the games we've played (2 & 3 player), no-one ever lays an irrigation tile. Why would you waste turns doing so? There's plenty of water supplied by the central lake, the pond tiles and pond tokens. I suppose, to increase their use, you could remove some of these plot tiles and tokens.

I've seen a few posts saying that the irrigation channels don't get used. This is certainly not the case in any of the games I have played. In order for a tile to score a "tile objective" it needs to be irrigated and tiles far from the central pond often aren't. Hence channels are laid. The irrigated marker on certain tiles makes this slightly easier, but an "irrigated-marker" tile doesn't irrigate adjacent tiles, and channels cannot be run from it. Again, irrigation channels are the answer.

So as long as plenty of plot objectives are being used, there should be a constant need for irrigation channels. Unless I'm missing something.

We deal one card of each objective type to each player at the start of the game which ensures that all objectives get utilised to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.