Hide
12 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Variants

Subject: Killing some Cards FTW! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lazy McCrow
msg tools
After buying KoT a month or so ago, I've been lucky enough to play it daily - almost every lunch break as well as a few extended evening sessions.

We've played with 4 - 6 players (started with 4 but now generally have max. capacity ) and it's gone down really well with our group.

Certain members of our group were quick to judge various cards in the deck as 'over-powered' or 'broken' but we continued playing with a complete deck in order to develop a more informed opinion.
As the games went on - the cards under scrutiny began to draw more and more moans and groans when they appeared - even from those of us who had defended them from the 'OP'/'game-breaking' accusations and finally after about 30+ plays, we agreed we should try some kind of drafting system, just to mix things up a little - and to keep the fun alive for the whingers

We opted to simply run through the deck giving each card a 'YAY!' or a 'NEIGH!':- any cards with a majority of 'NAYs' was ejected from the deck.

Suprisingly, there was very little argument about the details of which cards were kicked, (although there WAS a motion to kick 'Shrink Ray' which was voted down and has subsequently been re-discussed)

Since removing the cards (listed below) from the deck, we have played probably another 10 to 15 games and there has been no discussion about reintroducing the exiled cards at all.
This is because all of our games have been much closer (fewer uncontested runaway VP victories), more consistent in game length and ultimately, we currently agree; more FUN!

To clarify, I am NOT suggesting that the following cards are 'broken' - All our group love the game in its original form - It is simply that we have had MORE FUN as a group playing with the following cards removed:

Evacuation Orders X2: This card was only used a handful of times and served in all cases to simply prolong the inevitable. We recognise that removal of these cards reduce the value of other cards - such as 'It has Child'

Wings & Jets: I understand there is already much discussion about Wings and Jets - Our group are all simply happier that no-one else gets to buy them. They haven't always proved game-winning, but both had often appeared to give their owners an unassailable advantage.

Fire Breathing: Not many strong objections to this card, but taking it out hasn't reduced our fun yet.

Parasitic tentacles: VERY contentious card. True - you need to be able to stay alive and max. out energy to make the most of it, but there are several cards which allow you to do this. it seemed undervalued to all of us. Not only that, but it changed the way that people played the game: I am certain that this is by design - but what it effectively does is make people reluctant to purchase cards and given that general consensus is that the more cards in the game - the merrier, we decided it was a fun-reducer and subsequently had to go.

Healing Ray: Another quality card, but seemed a little OP when used in combo with certain others. Smiles drooped when it showed up

Energy Hoarder: I'm probably being flippant, but I seem to remember that the general consensus was that this card was a bit dull.

Complete Destruction: Our initial excitement over the first occurrence of 'Complete Destruction for the win' was soon overrun by a spate of victories using this under-priced card - either on its own, or in conjunction with cards like 'Stretchy', and 'Telepath' or 'Smoke cloud'. I personally love this card - it is yet another example of the genius of this games' design, BUT we decided that all it really does is encourage anyone on 11 VPs or more to play a kind of single-player Yahtzee until they hit the magic combo. This is good fun for the player who is using it for the win, but not so much for everyone else: Certainly we all agreed Complete Destruction felt under-priced and given that it also seemed to reduce player interaction, there have been no complaints since it was removed.

Just to conclude - I'd be the first to admit that by removing these cards we have more than likely 'broken' the effects of some of those that remain, but until we start having less fun with the game, I doubt we'll be replacing them.

So as gutted as I am that I can't find anywhere to buy the additional promo cards that were released (any ideas?), I am also suprised that we seem to be having more fun by actually removing some great cards from the deck. I'd certainly be interested to hear from other KoT players if they think our decisions were wise, or if / how they will end up kicking us in the ass.

The only other issue that had come up for our group was that no-one was ever prepared to spend to energy to flush the three cards/clear the deck: It felt too much like 'taking one for the team' when there was clearly no 'team', but since reading the simple 'Wise King; variant on this forum, we are keen to try it. Also - the removal of the cards that would generally warrant a 'card - wipe' now mean that people are generally less interested in the idea of flushing the cards to avoid another player buying one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have the extra cards offered here on BGG?
you basically only pay for shipping, but there is no combined shipping for a double order

check the forums for a link to the BGG store that sells these, I don't have it handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I want to get this game so bad! Richard Garfield is the man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't get Energize either. You spend 8 energy to get 9 energy. Compared to Friend of Children which is spend 3 to get a Keep that gives you an extra energy when you gain an energy. I think Energize should be spend 1 energy to get at least 2 energy. Also note Energize is one of two cards that cost 8 to play and the other is Mimic. Energize just doesn't match what other high cost cards provide. If it had a decent heal component, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I guess I don't get Energize either. You spend 8 energy to get 9 energy. Compared to Friend of Children which is spend 3 to get a Keep that gives you an extra energy when you gain an energy. I think Energize should be spend 1 energy to get at least 2 energy. Also note Energize is one of two cards that cost 8 to play and the other is Mimic. Energize just doesn't match what other high cost cards provide. If it had a decent heal component, maybe.

I have rethought this being used in combination with Friend of Children. I'm still not sure it's worth 8 energy, but it definitely has more potential than I had first thought.

EDIT: It's not worth the 8. I will house rule it to 1 for 2 energy or simply remove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I guess I don't get Energize either.
It's a little bonus for someone who gathers tons of energy, to reward that strategy. If it shows up when someone already has 8 energy, that would be boring, but I don't imagine that happens that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that if you're going to get rid of those cards, you should also remove some of the building cards to keep the deck balanced. People seem to complain that you don't see enough powers, so if you're going to remove some of them you should remove some buildings to even it out, maybe ones that have multiples in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, by "building cards" I mean the cards that just give victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Energy Hoarder might be more interesting in a game with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Y
msg tools
I used Energy Hoarder once, and I won that game, although not in the way I had originally intended.

My strategy was to try to stock up 18 energy for 3 VP a turn, and then when there were multiple VP cards available for purchase (since other players tend to avoid them in favor of ability cards) cash the energy in for a massive amount of points and try to win that way.

I only made it to 12 (for 2 VP a turn), but I managed to keep it there for several turns before Metamorph and another card that was too good to resist came out. So I bought both cards and used Metamorph to get back the energy for the Energy Hoarder card once I dropped below 6 energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lakers4evr wrote:
I used Energy Hoarder once, and I won that game, although not in the way I had originally intended.

Sounds like that game went quite long. Were other players gathering energy or healing a lot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.