Subject: Plz recommend me sth different rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular gaming partner is my GF
At the moment i mostly play Puerto Rico and Carcassonne.
I purchased Ora et Labora but my GF isn't in love with it yet, but that might change.
Other games in my collection, which see some play in family:
See play: El Grande, Settler of Catan, Elfenland, Tikal, Bohnanza/Al Cabohne, Ligretta, Magic the Gathering (so no Dominion for me)
In collection: Go ( i will try that with GF), Löwenherz

So to this point i have no Wargame and no Ameritrash. The problem is i look for a game which lasts not much longer than 1 hour with two, because i want to get rid of Carc hitting my table too often.

If i need to test one of my games with two plz tell me and i am open for all types of recommendations which are different from my collection.

Right now my eyes are on "Euphrat and Tigris" and Command and Colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good 2p game is Lord of the Rings: The confrontation. It takes less than an hour (about 30 min) and is a really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Zooloretto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan, Balloon Cup and a few others, all on yucata for you to try out before you invest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You don't have any deckbuilders in your collection, do you? In that case: Dominion might be a good option. Plays fast, easy to learn, surprisingly deep and has lots of variety... (and is my wife's favourite game!)

If you want to go in more of a medium-to-heavy Euro direction (something more in Ora & Labora's class), Troyes works well with 2 players, and takes around an hour to play once you're up to speed... again, very different from everything you already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
At the moment i mostly play Puerto Rico and Carcassonne.
I purchased Ora et Labora but my GF isn't in love with it yet, but that might change.
Other games in my collection, which see some play in family:
See play: El Grande, Settler of Catan, Elfenland, Tikal, Bohnanza/Al Cabohne, Ligretta
In collection: Go ( i will try that with GF), Löwenherz

So to this point i have no Wargame and no Ameritrash. The problem is i look for a game which lasts not much longer than 1 hour with two, because i want to get rid of Carc hitting my table too often.

If i need to test one of my games with two plz tell me and i am open for all types of recommendations which are different from my collection.

Have you thought about getting a co-op so you and her can work together while playing a game? If that's something you're interested in, I suggest these:

Forbidden Island
Red November
Pandemic
Lord of the Rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dominion

I, too, am interested in lighter, but thematic games. Evo is neither a thematic game nor a wargame, but has just enough of both pasted onto a light medium euro to make me very happy. I highly recommend it in most people's collection. (It needs 3+ players though, unless you use the 2-player variant I posted up in the Evo forums section.)

Innovation is one of my favorite games right now for playing with 2 or 3 players, and while some may not feel its thematic, we do enjoy embracing the theme of it while we play. (I have developed Archery, hahahaha! And I have demands, oh yes I do! Uh oh, Gunpowder?!)

I've just been exposed to Jaipur and can see myself having a lot of fun with it. It's a little fiddly for what it is, but has a nice interactive feeling without being confrontational, so probably pretty good for couples.

Innovation is my favorite two-player game. It also utilizes mechanics I've never seen in any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for innovation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. don't go for anything heavier than ora et labora. Just don't. Le Havre frustrated my GF (and me), so it might be wiser to suggest a different turn. You might still grow to like it though.

I think Carcassonne is a solid and unique 2 player game. I understand you might want something different as well.

some ideas:

Kosmos 2 player line:

Rivals for Catan
2 player thematic euro, more thematic than original settlers and it's cheap in germany. This one comes with 3 decks where you can decide to play it like original (take that) or even more nasty, or less interactive with focus on building.

as you're in germany you might even find a copy of Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League somewhere around. 2 player kinda thematic pick up and deliver game with dice.

card game puerto rico - all play great with 2
San Juan - the simple, elegant one
Race for the Galaxy - the kompliziert one. More variaty than San Juan with steep learning curve (my GF swore for 4 days straight before she learned it)

Pandemic - easy to get a hold of in germany. family friendly cooperative game and unlike other stuff you have. plays 2 people nicely.

ameritrash:
Claustrophobia - 2 players confrontational
Arkham Horror - 3 hours of cooperative gaming. if you like to immerse into character this one is great, if not, avoid. Plays ok with 2, I like it best with 3. Rules are intimidating, but only one player needs to know them. Might be too different from what you play though.
Cosmic Encounter multiplayer negotiation chaos. needs 4, best with 5 players

Pegasus has some nice "nastier" games:
Junta: Viva el Presidente! negotiation game, 4 players (maybe also 3)
Revolution! blind bidding game. pegasus edition is beautiful

Queen:
Fresco family worker placement (lighter than PUerto Rico)
Lancaster worker placement with a bit of conflict. new stuff, looks interesting
Chicago Express and Paris Connection both stock market games for 3-4 players. PC is a light, almost abstract game, CE is easy to learn but quite tense and deep.

if you look for family games, check also Days of Wonder - Ticket to Ride: Europe, Small World

other 2 player games I've seen in germany.
2 de Mayo asymmetrical kinda wargamish (emphasis on kinda) short 2 player game.
Mr. Jack in New York lighter 2 player deduction game. New York version is said to be more balanced than original.

Friesematenten and expansion Friesematenten: Die Schattenmänner. I'm not sure if it's any good, but it's cheap and in german. Said to be better with 3, 4 but playable with 2. Also said to be chaotic.

As you're in gemrmany you can buy some cheap fillers from Amigo as well. I think they're mostly multiplayer.
Bohnanza (4-5 players trading game) No Thanks (3-5 player, anti-auction), Coloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First two that come to mind:
One of my favorites: Memoir '44
One I just ordered: Summoner Wars: Master Set

How about a train/network game for the collection?
One of my favorites: Ticket to Ride //multiple choices here
Read is good with 2p: First Train to Nuremberg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:

Euphrat and Tigris is only OK with 2; it plays better with 3-4 players. With 2 players, I believe to board is too large and there's too little interaction between players.

Here are some good simple games with some conflict that will play in an hour: Small World, Hellas, Tank on Tank

Commands & Colors is a great system and it usually plays in about an hour. There are several different games in the C&C series. It's best to see which period suits your girlfriend's taste. The more difficult games include more types of units and more special types of actions, but they're usually considered the "best" games in the series.

Simpler: Battle Cry, Memoir '44
More difficult: BattleLore, Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.