Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks

I was wondering if any of you have some recommendations for games for those of us with very limited gaming space? My regular gaming space will just hold a 17x22 map oriented 'landscape'-wise, or two Panzer Grenadier mapboards in 'portrait' orientation. It's difficult to get access to a bigger table that will accommodate 22x34 maps, so with that in mind, can you recommend any games on 17x22 maps?

Thanks in advance

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
CNA

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Victory Point Games may be your best bet. They have plenty of games covering many topics on 17x11 maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Corps Command: Totensonntag- a "fast playing game on the First Battle of Sidi Rezegh, running from November 19 to 24, 1941", has a 17x22" map. I've not played my copy yet, but it's one of those games which will sit on the shelf until it gets its moment; ie. a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the suggestion of Victory Point Games. They have a wide selection of games that are small in footprint.

Another suggestion I have is LNL's World at War: They Untold Stories or Nations at War: White Star Rising. They both use geo=morphic maps and most scenarios use only one or two mapboards that would fit in your space.

GDW also produced the Series 120 games that would fit and had a variety of subjects.

An important consideration though is what subject matter do you prefer? That wsould narrow down the choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently several issues GMT's C3i magazine has included a small stand alone game - The Drive On Metz (second edition), Battle for Moscow (second edition), Jena 20 all of which has a very small footprint.

MMP also published Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges, a small game about Operation Market Garden.

A lot of scenarios in the SL/ASL/ASLSK family only uses one or two mapboards (8"x22").

Valor & Victory, a print-n-play Squad Leader like game uses map boards that can be printed on a single sheet of legal sized paper (8.5"x14"), and most scenarios available uses only one map (some needs two).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might try Field Commander: Rommel, or Field Commander: Alexander.

but that's a killer limitation, leaves out a lot of great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
vulcan558 wrote:
Hi folks

I was wondering if any of you have some recommendations for games for those of us with very limited gaming space? My regular gaming space will just hold a 17x22 map oriented 'landscape'-wise, or two Panzer Grenadier mapboards in 'portrait' orientation. It's difficult to get access to a bigger table that will accommodate 22x34 maps, so with that in mind, can you recommend any games on 17x22 maps?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Old SPI folio games (and the DG Remakes) are exactly the form factor you seek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Fasulo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a review of a game that fits perfectly, (2) 11 x 17 maps, low counter density, lots and lots of nail biting action, and tactical.

http://wargamer.com/article/3148/board-game-review-death-rid...

It has a sister game called Hafid Ridge which is the same size and even smaller in counter density. You will like them.

Regards,
Chris Fasulo
Grognard Simulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo
The Battle for Hill 218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. VPG and WaW are already on the radar, and I've also shortlisted GMT's Ran and Saints in Armor as they use 'half-maps', and the subject matter is interesting. I will be checking out all your other suggestions too - I was looking at the Folio series a while back, I hadn't realised they were on smaller maps

The restriction is a real pain, but to circumvent it I would need to totally rearrange my (very small)'den' and buy a large new table/pc desk - it's really more grief than I can be doing with at the moment, with a baby on the way and plenty of baby stuff to buy. It does help that smaller games are usually a little cheaper too

Thanks again for all the suggestions, a few of these will be appearing on my (very small) table soon!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm open-minded on subject matter and system, although I tend to play on the tactical/grand tactical scale most often, I'm open to strategic stuff as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
A lot of scenarios in the SL/ASL/ASLSK family only uses one or two mapboards (8"x22").

Every month, I feel the call of ASL growing stronger. I'm sure I'm going to snap sooner or later shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grim
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
Maneouvre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Quartaroli
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you might try Decision Games (I) folio series. Also they can be harder to find but magnetic counter holders, plus a paper map and a sheet of metal lets you go vertical! they work well with counter stacks up to about 5 high.

Just a couple off off the top of my head.

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest a laptop and VASSAL? You can play Fire in the East on your lap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about VASSAL. It's something I need to look into a bit further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't resist:

Surviving the Gulag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anybody own GBoH Chariots of Fire? By my estimation, if there are 3 mapsheets and 3 full-map battles, the other six scenarios are half-map. Is that correct? And is it any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you try and find these: Arcola: The Battle for Italy, 1796 and Hundred Days Battles. They were originally published by OSG, then re-published by Avalon Hill. The AH maps were mounted, and measured only 11" x 16.5". Very good Kevin Zucker designs, too.

Another excellent title in that same AH small format series was The Legend of Robin Hood. Not a wargame per se, but definitely a great game and worth seeking out, especially for somebody trying to play in close quarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges

Edit: Also, print-n-plays are often (sometimes?) on smaller maps. You like or have a passing interest in the Napoleonic era?

Espinosa
Montebello
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiery Dragon has a line of wargames, called Counterstrike, that have a small footprint. I believe the maps are mostly 11 x 17 inches.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19704/counterstike-war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich, a little thinking out of the box how about wall space? I have a corkboard wall and have a metal board & have the magnetic clips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Rich, a little thinking out of the box how about wall space? I have a corkboard wall and have a metal board & have the magnetic clips.

That Galicia setup looks very cool.

But posting something like that without providing a link to shops is just cruel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nice things about the games in Vae Victis was their small form factor, all 17x22. Of course now they're even smaller....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
sherron wrote:

That Galicia setup looks very cool.

But posting something like that without providing a link to shops is just cruel.

This is interesting, although again I would need to furniture shuffle - I can't even begin to describe how small this room is. Who sells the counter holders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.