Steam» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for a new map to purchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Ives
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,
have played Steam several times with a group that is usually 3-4 players.

I'm looking for suggestions on a new map to get some variety in game play.

We usually play without auctions.

Any suggestions on Age of Steam maps that would work?
Or the official Steam expansion one?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Alexander
United Kingdom
Accrington
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive got the official map pack #1, which introduces a few new game mechanics which I like, also allows propor 2 player games as well as upto 7 player games if you have the extra player components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Age of Steam Expansion: The Zombie Apocalypse was always fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Zombie Apocalypse would not be my suggestion. It is made for AoS, I wouldn't know it would work for Steam. Besides that it is a rather mean map, only for very experienced players who like that kind of challenge.

For an overview of available Steam resources (including AoS maps that can be played with Steam), check this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/68626/the-ultimate-ste...
- Map exp.I includes a very good 2 and a 3 player map respectively. The larger map is more vanilla, but also gives the option of playing with upto 7
- Map exp.II is even better. It is about to be released as far as I know. It includes several very, very good maps in 3-4 player category.
- If you want just something that is freely available, then try Portugal for 3-4 players
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/43242/age-of...
A nice and tight map, good for a step up from the base map, without too many rule changes.

For an overview of available two-player maps, this is of course the best list :-): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74948/steam-two-player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
If your group is on the three-four player range and you are starting out I'm going to recommend you Portugal, the free map. It's more unique than the included maps, kind of harsher and a lot of fun, I wrote a review about it if you want to check it out. It's the first map I would recommend to people starting out.

The first AoS expansion Ireland/England was released to print for free and it plays wonderfully with Steam. I still have to add cube counts for the later but I have severly playtested Ireland and it works great. Beware, while England is kind of vanilla, Ireland is nasty. Note that I playtested them with auctions, Engineer is far more valuable in England than normal and it should probably switch places if you remove the auction.

I helped playtest Steam expansion 2 and it has one of the best maps I have ever played this game on, Great Britain, which is designed for 3-4 players. It also has China, which besidess being playable with 2, it allows free-for-all 3 and semi-coop 4 and California, which is for three. Unfortunatedly, I haven't played them yet (Well, I played China with 2 but that doesn't count) but it really looks something to look foward to.

There are other AoS maps that play well with 3 and 4 but maps that play 3 AND 4 well are rare, specially ones that don't crush newbies.

I haven't played Steam expansion 1 so I can't comment.

TL;DR:

Print Portugal
Get Map exp.II when availble
Print Ireland, it will open you a new world of pain and England if you don't mind another kind-of vanilla 4 player map. It's more interesting than the ones included in the base game but if you are going to get expansion 1 I wouldn't bother with it.

Iowa isn't worth it, if you are asking.

Also, the lists that Michiel linked to are really useful. I should know, one is mine =P

PD: You should really consider using the auction, it makes the game a lot better and far more tense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
General_Norris wrote:
You should really consider using the auction, it makes the game a lot better and far more tense!

The same can be said for playing Age of Steam instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ives
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.