A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Mulling - Keep the HH and make it work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Hs

Pasadena
California
msg tools
The first game I played of AFoS, my opponent apologized to me and said he was going to try something out. In the police report afterward, I identified the thing that then steamrolled right over me and Quebec was none other than the elusive (scratch that) ... the ubiquitous HH.

Not fun.

There are many variants people are suggesting. I like the idea of the conscription cards. But I also think that only fallen territories should be able to be Governed away, therefore having cards to make useful the territory cards in hand would be good.

But people have also said that the only real solution to the problem is to make the Brit Thin Deck be a disadvantage (or not so advantageous). Besides the variant to not allow shuffling the discards until the end of the turn, I suggest:

Make the British NEED the HH. If the Brit player is going to go that route, have it that the British can have an instant win only if they take Quebec AND ALSO there are no French Fortified Villages on the board. Problematic?

I would go a step further, to even things out for the British, and say that for them to instant win it should be a "double-villaged" fortification that can't be on the board (along with taking Quebec). Since the time span of the game is supposed to be a long one, why couldn't a city as strong and important as Quebec be established? If a French player "improves" a village, they simply put another village token down on the spot (making it a "city"). The village marker doesn't add points, and in fact, robs the French of points because it doesn't count either in points or further doubling the space's VP. But it does give the French Player an option to create a second, or third, or fourth "Quebec" (if they're on a roll). A movable target. Making the HH more of a necessity in order to play whacka-mole to win. It's an option for the French, if they want to use it. And it plays on the French's role as a Settling Power as opposed to a Military Power.

Also, other changes -- the Governor can only remove fallen territories from a hand. But, as an option, for free it can be discarded, with any one or two territories from the hand, to the discard pile, and have the one or two cards replaced by cards from the draw pile.

And FINALLY, to add to a sense of "atmosphere" -- at the start of the game, Merchanting pays the full amount. But after the first Seige on a naval port (thus commencing the outbreak of full hostilities between the two sides), Merchanting only pays half (or 1/3rd). This represents the trouble of privateering against merchants that enters into international conflicts and the added cost of doing business during wartime. Ambushes and Raids don't set it off, only a seige. The British would do to hold off on beginning their seiges until building up a war chest, and maybe settling territories might not look like a bad option. And it might encourage the subtler raiding "attack." It allows there to be a bit of maneuvering by the sides before the knives come out. (Or the French could start the Seiging a Naval Port as soon as possible to subvert the English.)

Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of little tweaks you could try, but I would only try ONE at a time. Otherwise the game will become too easy for the french.

Here are my 3 ideas (I have not tried yet):
Fur are worth 3 money
Gaspe and Canso have a ship icon
Montreal have a settler icon and is worth 2 money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than 3 money per fur, I suggest making the Trader card itself be worth 1 or 2. However I sense that it isn't the French we need to boost, it's the English we need to slow down, so 2 money max per card in English money engine seems better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls