Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham Cross-Over With A Game Of Thrones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Is George R. R. Martin an H.P. Lovecraft fan? I'm reading his epic A Game of Thrones. So far, he's referenced The One Who Must Not Be Named and the city of Ibben. There was another reference, as well, but I didn't write it down. Black Goat.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Is George R. R. Martin an H.P. Lovecraft fan? I'm reading his epic A Game of Thrones. So far, he's referenced The One Who Must Not Be Named and the city of Ibben. There was another reference, as well, but I didn't write it down.

Brian

Probably, who isn't? saurongoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't surprise me; GRRM is a great author and would know good literature
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that Hastur comes from Robert Chambers's 1895 book, The King in Yellow, and the names Hastur, Hali, and Carcosa come from Ambrose Bierce's short stories An Inhabitant of Carcosa and Haïta the Shepherd. And Carcosa is based off of the French city Carcassonne, which carries its own evolved etymology.

In a way, the Mythos is alive, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mythos shows up everywhere- just recently I heard an old Sherlock Holmes radio episode (from the 50s?) which was arguably "Mythos-tinged"...

Where did you first encounter the Mythos? For me it goes back to "Night Gallery" when I was a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never heard of The Mythos until I played AH four or five years ago. I may have heard references to it without knowing what I was listening to, I suppose.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 90s I listened to various Death Metal bands who 'sang' (growled) about Azathoth, Shub-Nigguroth etc as though this were a real branch of the Black Arts. But I could never find these gods mentioned in 'real' mythology, Sumerian or otherwise. Wasn't till the Internet came along that I found out HPL and his pals made most of it up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Trinh
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
Once you get to the Greyjoys in book 2, you'll see the Lovecraft references pretty clearly. They worship the Drowned God and their sigil is of a golden kraken (close enough).

I think there's a Dagon Greyjoy somewhere too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Don't forget that Hastur comes from Robert Chambers's 1895 book

Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
kungfro wrote:
Don't forget that Hastur comes from Robert Chambers's 1895 book

Fixed

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGH
hold on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pleier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I may have heard references to it without knowing what I was listening to, I suppose.

Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal; that all things appear as they do only by virtue of the delicate individual physical and mental media through which we are made conscious of them; but the prosaic materialism of the majority condemns as madness the flashes of super-sight which penetrate the common veil of obvious empiricism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ThereAintNoJusti wrote:
I may have heard references to it without knowing what I was listening to, I suppose.

Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal; that all things appear as they do only by virtue of the delicate individual physical and mental media through which we are made conscious of them; but the prosaic materialism of the majority condemns as madness the flashes of super-sight which penetrate the common veil of obvious empiricism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
And Carcosa is based off of the French city Carcassonne.

..which is also short for "meeple"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.