GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: If getting this game just for solo playing, is it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love boardgames. Do you guys think it's worth it to get this game just for the solo play? Because I think it'll be tough to teach this boardgame to friends (I usually play 7 wonders with friends at school). I am quite competitive, very analytical, likes to think a lot and loves challenges. It's about 40 dollars online so I'm just asking for your opinions. Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My approach with solo gaming is you get out what you put into it. I have only played certain games by myself and find that I truly come away with an enriching experience. I like that when I play a game solo not only do I figure things out about the way I approach, and play a game, but how better to explain to new players how to understand it. I also really enjoy experiencing a game solo and accomplishing something that I never thought I would have been able to or overcoming a challenge that I had trouble with during the previous run through.

If you are skeptical about whether you will have just as much fun as when playing with a group you must look at it in a different way because both are different playing experiences. When you sit down to play a video game and you are going through a single player campaign do you find yourself engaged or getting bored wishing they had online co-op? I personally enjoy the time that I get to play games solo and love the games that offer it even more because you will always have the option to just enjoy it by yourself. Hope this helped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:
I really love boardgames. Do you guys think it's worth it to get this game just for the solo play? Because I think it'll be tough to teach this boardgame to friends (I usually play 7 wonders with friends at school). I am quite competitive, very analytical, likes to think a lot and loves challenges. It's about 40 dollars online so I'm just asking for your opinions. Thank you in advance!

I have played more solo games than non-solo games. I have all of the expansions. I don't take it out as often as I used to, due largely to set up time and space needed (especially with the expansions), but I am glad I have it.

You have to like the theme to like the game, although it does have strong game play and there is strategy involved, it is more immersion in the theme that makes this game interesting.

I usually solo play with 4 investigations. Adding a 5th investigator and the corresponding rules to scale up the game for more players can make things more challenging, although I think it's challenging enough already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply.

"If you are skeptical about whether you will have just as much fun as when playing with a group"

I don't think I'll ever be able to play a non-solo game haha so because it's made for more players, I was just curious if it's still fun playing as solo. I don't think I'll ever have the chance to Compare the two playstyles/experiences. Thank you so much for your comment, because it has really enlightened me. I especially like this one - "I also really enjoy experiencing a game solo and accomplishing something that I never thought I would have been able to or overcoming a challenge that I had trouble with during the previous run through."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your input. I have read reviews and watched videos and already am interested in its "dark" theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH was created for solo play after all, so yeah it works perfectly this way.

It's playing with other that seems unnatural for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's absolutely worth it, Daniel! After playing it with groups from 2-7 I bought myself a copy for solo play, simply because the game is that good. Sure, the setup time is lengthy, but once everything's on the table, you may also play several games in a row, or just leave it there until next day and play again (if you want).

Make sure you take a look at the file section and print yourself some flowcharts so the turns go more smoothly and you don't miss anything.

Have fun!

Regards
-Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:
Thank you for your input. I have read reviews and watched videos and already am interested in its "dark" theme.

This gives me the impression that you are unfamiliar with Lovecraft's work. If this is the case stop what you're doing right now, go and read a few of his stories, and then go and order AH.

You will make some errors your first few games, but once you've got the hang of it its a great solo experience. I personally prefer to play a single investigator game with a few variant rules for balance, verses the common four investigator game you see suggested here. I feel much more connected to a single investigator than I do a team, and it helps the tension if you fear for 'your' safety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
But that's why it's great for solo play, you can mess about with things to a certain degree to suit your own style, you play play 1 investigator, 2 or even 5 if you wish. You can have a campaign against the GOO's or just have a random outting if you wish to.

The ideal would be to have a study with a large table where you can leave the game out all the time, play when you wish & leave it to come back to later (I sadly don't have this myself but a few photos of the boards & such means I can save a game & come back at a later date.)

Great solo, but I prefer the interaction of 1 or 2 more players myself so we can soak up the theme and add to it ourselves.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer Mage Knight Board Game for solo play, but Arkham Horror is good too. Why? Mainly because 1-hero Arkham Horror isn't much fun - I play 2-4 investigators and it's always a struggle to remember what each was planning. It's doable, but you really do need to be comfortable with the game (and its many rules). Mage Knight plays well solo as you indeed play just the one hero and can focus on him/her.

Furthermore, I would only recommend it (AH that is) if you can indeed leave it set up over a longer period of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:

Absolutely. I agree with most of the others, Arkham Horror is one of the best games out there for solo play. Be warned though, a game can take many hours, especially the first few times you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Giampouras
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun solo! Many options and many tactics to follow. You lern the game better and it's easier to present it to other people. There are lot you have to remember but if you learn to play solo it would be easy to guide a group of players! And it has great replayability!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely worth it for solo play. I hardly ever get to play it with other people, but it's still my fav game ever. And it was originally designed for solo play anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
manfromtherock wrote:

Great solo, but I prefer the interaction of 1 or 2 more players myself so we can soak up the theme and add to it ourselves.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
And it was originally designed for solo play anyway...

It was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are buying this, it's recommended that you play it solo a few times to get the rules nuances down anyway.

So you can try just the base game and see if it catches your interest. If it does then you can SLOWLY acquire expansions.

If you intend to play this solo primarily you should end with maybe 1 large box expansion (Dunwich), and maybe a few of the smaller box expansions (Lurker and/or King in Yellow).

I'd also recommend not getting them all at once or getting many large box expansions unless you run with a large group of players.

I'd suggest running just 2-3 investigators to start with.

But really these are recommendations for any new game:
1) Read rules.
2) Play game solo to get a feel of gameplay.
3) Play with group until the base gameplay (strategy) is exhausted.
4) Buy expansion.
5) Goto step 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of variant rules for balance do you use when playing with a single investigator? Thank you for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again for their comments and input, it has been a big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:
What kind of variant rules for balance do you use when playing with a single investigator? Thank you for the help.

I usally play two investigators but have played one. Then I play like there's four players in terms of monster limits and gate limits--everything but the final battle. I have a Mythos every 4th turn* and skip the Upkeep if I don't have a Mythos. Lot's of people think this is too easy, so have a Mythos every third turn. But I win about above the time doing it every 4th turn which is about where I want to be.

*I roll a dice to determine mythos because I like randomness.

Playing one investigator is pretty iffy because some investigators are really strong and the game can be too easy and some are really weak and its going to be practically a lost cause.

Average characters would be: Carolyn, Lily, Wilson, Jim, Rita, Marie, Michael, William, Agnes, Lola, Mark, Kate, Ursula, Jenny, Zoey, Harvey, Monterey, Gloria, Normal, Ashcan, Finn, Skids, Tony. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH is my favorite game to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hankroyd wrote:
AH was created for solo play after all, so yeah it works perfectly this way.

It's playing with other that seems unnatural for me.

Especially when you can't stand most of the people you have around to play with.

The guy I usually play with isn't that smart. So he tends to do annoying things when we play. His favorite game is Elder Sign; a game which does not require much in the realm of intelligence.

Then on the other hand: I use to play with a few passive-aggressive nerds that would throw temper tantrums if they did not "win" the game.

Not a very promising lot to choose from. So, I'm considering solo or playing with some new people I met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say I got this boardgame thx to all the help from you guys and it's LOADS of fun playing solo. The first time playing, I think it took me like 5 hours to finish a game (2 investigators) because I constantly have to go to rulebook to confirm things (even with the fan-made guides), but the 2nd time it's a breeze. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Anytime! I just bought mine this year as well!

As an aside: Oh, I also noticed they have an online Arkham Horror forum here. Not sure how that works? I'm assuming you need a copy of the board game to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trakky wrote:
Just want to say I got this boardgame thx to all the help from you guys and it's LOADS of fun playing solo. The first time playing, I think it took me like 5 hours to finish a game (2 investigators) because I constantly have to go to rulebook to confirm things (even with the fan-made guides), but the 2nd time it's a breeze. Thanks again!

You're welcome! That's cool to hear you liked it.

I was just thinking about running a solo game again... maybe on Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.