J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just wondering which type of sleeves you would recommend to sleeve cards. (basically which ones you would pick) Standard or premium sleeves? (for example for Dominion, Thunderstone)

No need to specify any brands.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use standard sleeves, but recently may Mayday standard sleeves have become EXTREMLY sticky, while they are still brand-new, so that I unsleeved my complete Eaten by Zombies deck. I still shy away from the (IMO too expensive premium sleeves) Having said that so, I recently sleeved my BloodBowl TeamManager game using FFG's sleeve (premium) and am VERY satisfied with them. So in the future I might turn to premium sleeves (which would mean that I'd sleeve less games than usual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use FFG (the violet ones in this case). There is only one quality of them and I have never been disappointed. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the urge to use FFG sleeves, then again, you get Dominion in Germany for 24 Euros (current Amazon price, you are guaranteed to get it even cheaper). Sleeving 500 cards would need 10 packs of FFG sleeves - 24 Euros as well. So the price for sleeving the cards is basically an extra game...

With Dominion I am pretty happy that I sleeved the game as I play it often and the cards get shuffled extremely often, so If I hadn't sleeved my cards I would like be through my first two copies of the game.... BUT I sleeved them in cheap Mayday sleeves...

(and am still dreaming about the FFG sleeves ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I can understand the urge to use FFG sleeves, then again, you get Dominion in Germany for 24 Euros (current Amazon price, you are guaranteed to get it even cheaper). Sleeving 500 cards would need 10 packs of FFG sleeves - 24 Euros as well. So the price for sleeving the cards is basically an extra game...

With Dominion I am pretty happy that I sleeved the game as I play it often and the cards get shuffled extremely often, so If I hadn't sleeved my cards I would like be through my first two copies of the game.... BUT I sleeved them in cheap Mayday sleeves...

(and am still dreaming about the FFG sleeves ;-)
In Sweden Dominion is 289 SEK, 500 FFG sleeves are 10*25 = 250 SEK.

But the mayday standard sleeves isn't likely to cost less since they would be imported from the US. Maybe somewhere.

For these two games I think the standard sleeves are ok, mostly because Drakkenstrike sleeved his Thunderstone in Mayday standard sleeves (commenting price.)

And he don't seem like anyone lacking money or going with a bad alternative / not do what he consider the best as far as games go.

For a game like Race for the galaxy the game would be 250 + (3 * 189) = 817 and 300 FFG sleeves would be 150 SEK so it's an easier choice there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton Haerr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used standard and love them. Premium can be very thick, and the box is tight with just the standard Maydays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer this without specifying brands, because there are significant differences. What follows are my opinions. YMMV.

I've tried Mayday "standard" sleeves (100 ct per pack), but they felt like "penny" sleeves (I believe they are 40 microns thick), so I now only use Mayday "premium" sleeves (50 ct per pack) for Dominion (125% thicker, meaning they are 90 microns thick). However, their quality control has been inconsistent from batch to batch. I ordered packs a year or two apart, and the sleeves don't match in height--they're off by 1-2 mm.

I use FFG "standard" sleeves (50 ct per pack) for everything else (100 microns thick). In my opinion, their quality is superior to Mayday's (although Mayday does offer irregular sizes like for 7 Wonders).

The FFG sleeves don't split (as in break apart at the edges) as much as the Mayday sleeves do, so they seem to last longer.

I tried both brands before deciding to buy in bulk. I suggest you buy a pack of each brand (both standard and premium) and try them out before committing.

Thickness will affect the feel and play of the cards, how well they stack, and if you can put them back in the inserts. So, really, a particular brand isn't important nor is the designation "standard" versus "premium". Check the packaging for "thickness" in microns. For my tastes, 90 to 100 microns is the best. You may feel differently.

Good luck.

EDIT: Added thickness data and opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will sleeved Thunderstone cards fit back into the box, like Dominion? (0.04 sleeves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
Will sleeved Thunderstone cards fit back into the box, like Dominion? (0.04 sleeves)

I can't say, since I don't have Thunderstone. However, I was able to put the Dominion cards back in the insert when they were sleeved with the Mayday "Premium" (90 micron thickness) sleeves, although it was tight.

I believe Mayday made the claim that their "standard" sleeves (40 micron thickness) would allow the cards to be put back in their inserts, but I am not entirely sure.

For what it's worth, I had to toss out the Dominion insert when the Intrigue expansion came out, since I wanted to carry all the cards in one box. Eventually, I made my own cardboard insert and printed index separators that one of the BGG users posted. If Thunderstone has expansions, you may want to explore that avenue.

Speaking of thickness, I wanted to add that Mayday does not print thickness info on their packs; I saw the 40 micron thickness stated on their website. FFG clearly prints their thickness up-front. I could not find thickness data for Ultra Pro either. So, you may need to contact the manufacturer to ask for that data. I say this because I understand that you may have different sleeve brands in your part of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.