Popular Tags: [View All]
zrobin
Italy
rome
flag msg tools
mb
classical question:

how is it with two?
i'm lookin for a great experience and funny game to use mostly with two (in my mind there is also Mil 1049 and village)

and i would like to have your opinions about it

is it really new stone age game?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zrobin wrote:
classical question:

how is it with two?
i'm lookin for a great experience and funny game to use mostly with two (in my mind there is also Mil 1049 and village)

and i would like to have your opinions about it

is it really new stone age game?

thanks

They have english rules posted now and you can try it for yourself at boardgamearena.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaii is, in my opinion, best with 2

I like it with 3 and 4 but 2 is the best number for me

Not played Mil but from a rules read through i would imagine it defiantely needs more than 2 to shine and the Village has low replayability - the three games I played felt very samey with 2 and 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer this question as I've only played this game 5 times, 4 of which were 2 player. In other words, I can't compare it to the multi-player game.

What I can say though, is that this game is very enjoyable with 2. I do think that it's harder to really mess with each other than it is with Stone Age 2-player, where you can simply deny another player of something that they need (a resource for a particular building, or a useful multiplier, etc.). In Hawaii, most of the tiles available show up every round (except for instance the Gods), so I think it's more about optimalizing your own strategy than messing with the other player's. Of course, if a God shows up that he really wants, or if near the end, your opponent needs tikis or kahunas badly, it's not a bad idea to prevent him from taking it cheaply.

Hawaii does have a slight Stone Age feel to it, but to me it's only superficially. Yes, you can pursue certain strategies and optimalize them with certain buildings (many ships+god that gives you 4 for each; many fruits + scoring building for 1/2/3/4 different kinds; etc.), but Hawaii has more different ways of scoring points and you might have to juggle several ones at the same time in order to win.

Furthermore, whereas in Stone Age you are mainly only hampered in your strategy by your opponents' decisions (denying one another needed multipliers), Hawaii offers a larger variability by having tiles randomly placed across the board and having costs associated with each tile that are not only random, but also change every round. In Hawaii, therefore, flexibility is key. Putting all your eggs in one basket and then getting screwed over by increased costs of much needed tiles is a sure way to lose.

Also, in 2 player games, getting enough points to score the round bonus seems more important than in a multi-player game, where narrowly making it, but still being last doesn't offer that much benefit. So your focus should be on not getting too far behind in that area.

Personally, I feel like the game is sort of a mix between Stone Age, Vikings (placement, mainly) and (oddly enough) Princess of Florence (every round an increasing goal to score points), all games that I like quite a bit.

In short, I think this game is really well suited with 2 players. It might not be as good as with 3 or more (more opportunities to follow a certain strategy, less chance to get blocked out, lesser importance of turn order), but I'd gladly play it with 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Myers
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,
I have not yet played Hawaii (at all) but it looks like something I might like. These are not games you asked about, but I thought to mention because I enjoyed playing them with only 2 people: (They also play great with 3 or 4)

Santiago de Cuba
Royal Palace
Fresco
Drum Roll
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of those you mentioned, you can strike MIL as it's not a good 2P game at all IMHO.

Village works great with all numbers and is the one I'd go with.

Hawaii does work with all numbers but in my limited experience, gameplay is quite different if you play with 2 or with 4....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I nearly included this in an order last week, but ended up chickening out due to no English rules yet (at the time) and what I felt was not enough information/reviews.

But, it's starting to sound like maybe I should go back and pick it up after all. I have a strong need for fairly easy to learn not-too-heavy games that play well with 2 players so that I can get in some occasional games with my wife and from what you guys are saying this may fall into that category.

She doesn't like direct conflict, but missing out on a resource because someone else took it already is fine (as long as it doesn't appear to have been done maliciously). She's actually OK with some extra weight if it's in the form of puzzle-solving in play rather than complex rules. For instance, she likes At the Gates of Loyang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MIL was good with 4, other than some issues with understanding the rules. It wouldn't be very good with 2. At the Gates of Loyang is excellent with 2, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
But, it's starting to sound like maybe I should go back and pick it up after all. I have a strong need for fairly easy to learn not-too-heavy games that play well with 2 players so that I can get in some occasional games with my wife and from what you guys are saying this may fall into that category.

She doesn't like direct conflict, but missing out on a resource because someone else took it already is fine (as long as it doesn't appear to have been done maliciously). She's actually OK with some extra weight if it's in the form of puzzle-solving in play rather than complex rules. For instance, she likes At the Gates of Loyang.

You should see this thread, if you haven't already: 2-player light-medium non-cutthroat game (with detailed requirements)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Sorp222 wrote:

Is that so? Played Hawaii this weekend with four, and that I actually enjoyed this full-on euro came as a bit of a surprise. I wondered whether the 2p game would see enough competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Sorp222 wrote:

Is that so? Played Hawaii this weekend with four, and that I actually enjoyed this full-on euro came as a bit of a surprise. I wondered whether the 2p game would see enough competition.

It does, it's just differrent. With 4 players a lot of the time your choices are based on what is left. In 2 player you can, to some extent, shape a strategy. It's also more a game of denial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.