Antonio Mattio
msg tools
Hello folks!
I bought this awesome game a few days ago and after seeing so many custom adventures for CR and WoA I decided to try to make my own for LoD!

This is what I've done so far:

Goal: Find the legendary Gauntlgrym Doors and open them!
Number of heroes: 2 to 5.

Special components in this Adventure
: Start tile, 2 Dwarven Statue Tile, Broken Door Tile, Gauntlgrym Door Token, Lever Token, 2 Feral Troll card.

Place the Start tile on the table. Place each hero on it.
Take one of the Dwarven Statue tiles and remove it from play (you won't need it); take the other and shuffle it with two other tiles, then place them in the Dungeon Tile stack after the 7th tile.
Then take the Broken Door tile and place it as the 13th tile.
Set the 2 Feral Troll cards next to the Monster deck.

When you reveal the Dwarven Statue tile, place the Lever Token on the dwarven statue square.

When you reveal the Broken Door tile, place the Gauntlgrym Door token on the white encounter arrow of the Broken Door tile. The Gauntlgrym Door is now locked and blocking your path, so you can't step on the Broken Door tile without opening it.
Then take the two Feral Troll cards and place one Feral Troll on the tile adjacent to the Broken Door tile and another on the Dwarven Statue tile.

To open the Gauntlgrym Door, one hero must be on a square adjacent the Lever Token and spend an Attack action to activate the lever; he can't move or attack while he's pulling the lever, so he must remains in that square if he wants to keep the door open.
When your hero pulls the lever, remove the Gauntlgrym token from play: now another hero can step on the Broken Door tile and surpass the gate!
If the Hero stops the pulling action to move or to attack a monster, the Gauntlgrym Door closes again.

Victory: The Heroes win the adventure when they kill the two Feral Trolls guarding the gate and any Hero ends his Hero phase on any square of the Broken Door tile.

Defeat: The Heroes lose this adventure if any Hero has 0 Hit Points at the start of his or her turn and there are no Healing Surge tokens remaining.

When you start the adventure read: Drizzt and his companions have set on a quest to find the legendary doors of Gauntlgrym, the ancient Dwarven city, after hearing some townfolks talking about it at a local inn.
“The legends say that the doors are so huge that a dragon could pass through it!”, they said, “But nobody knows how to open them! There is no hole for a key and they can't be open even by magic! There must be some switch of sort … well, if the doors exists at all.”

When you reveal the Dwarven Statue tile: It's been hours since you entered the Underdark to find the entrance to the forgotten Gauntlgrym, when a giant shadow appears and stands before you: it's an ancient Dwarven statue!
The passing of time and lurking monsters have destroyed his old and original beauty, but examining the statue base you discover something strange … it's an hidden lever!
The rust has ruined its gears, so you will need all of your strenght to pull it, but first you have to find the gate!

When you reveal the Broken Door tile read
: The Gauntlgrym Doors at last! Legends were true: their gigantic size is really something to marvel at.
While you rejoice you hear two roars that fills the rooms with a booming echo: there are two Feral Trolls guarding the door!
You're in between the two giants, so there is only one thing left to do: fight for your lives!

When you win the adventure read: While your companion keeps the gate open, you slip through the door: now you're in Gauntlgrym at last!
The sound of the gate closing behind you lets you guess that your group will be split from now on: will you survive in the ancient chambers of this forgotten city while your companions try to find another path to enter the citadel?

The victory condition of this adventure forces you to enter the Gauntlgrym Door while leaving someone behind (because someone has to keep the door open through the lever), so I was thinking of making another adventure in which you have to regroup and fight the evil within Gauntlgrym ... but I think I'll leave for the future!

For now what do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of bringing some novel flavor into your adventure!

To tie in even more of the book, I have a few suggestions. I put the spoiler tag on as this describes some events from the Gauntlgrym novel.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'd suggest using the Legion Devils from the Wrath of Ashardalon game along a Pit Fiend (Bealtimatuche, or what its name was).

drakthanalis created some custom devils. You could probably use the War Devil's stat for Bealtimatuche as the custom pit fiend is a level 7 villain. devil
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/722189/infernal-dungeon-crwo...

Also, what about including a volcanic vent tile with a mechanic that reflects the roaring primordial of the book?

Edit: I forgot to include the link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Mattio
msg tools
Thank you for your support

I have to admit that I didn't read the novels, but I've looked a bit over the Gauntlgrym page on the Forgotten Realms Wiki to write this adventure, so when you're talking
Spoiler (click to reveal)
about the primordial you're referring to the imprisoned Maegera right?

If that is so I think that the final adventure of the LoD Adventure Book covers that part of the story very well; however making a story that connects this custom adventure with that one should be interesting ... Maybe it could be an adventure where you have to regroup with the others and then face Jarlaxle Baenre as a Villain that wants to stop you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Mattio
msg tools
Ok I tested this adventure two times playing solo and I have to admit that it can be quite challenging if you're playing alone, especially the part with the two Feral trolls.
I used Drizzt for the two playthroughs and I won once, blasting all my Daily/Utility powers on the two trolls; I've also lost once because I got cornered by the two trolls and they beat the hell out of me before I could take them down .. stupid Troll regenerating ability!

Almost forgot: if you're playing solo the Lever Token mechanics doesn't apply, so you just have to spend an Attack action on the lever while being adjacent to it to open the gate (and it stays like this forever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this with 3 people today. Up until the trolls appeared, the game felt pretty easy as the trolls weren't in the deck. Once the trolls appeared... well, I were Bruenor with high AC and a lot of HP so I played tank while the others ran out of range of the trolls. We were helped by finding a secret tunnel that connected the tile with the lever to the tile with the door. No healing surges used.

Having two trolls as the boss was interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.