Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been thinking about the upcoming release of the SW app (haven't we all?). And a few problems come to mind when I imagine the asynchronous aspect of the app.
How will the app handle "reaction" elements of the game, such as the Shadow Elves "Shadows" or Thorkur's "Magic Barrier". It seems like to not compromise the effectiveness of such abilities/events, you would have to pause and say to your opponent (who may not be playing at the time), would you like to pay one magic to absorb that hit? what about now?

There are many other abilities that take place during your opponents turn, but consider the TO freeze event. You can pay to discard it on your turn (fine) or during your opponent's turn. But you can't do that if you're not around to pay the magic. So what's to stop the TO player from saying: "Freeze on Baldar", disable his ability, and kill him before the GD player can get rid of the freeze and re-activate "Shield Block"?

Does anyone have any insight into this or know how a similar app has handled things of this nature in an asynchronous setting?

Thanks!
Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
didn't they say in one of the podcast that it was synchronous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colby has discussed on podcasts (including the most recent Plaid Hat Podcast) that they have to make slight gameplay changes for these. For example, having Shadows always automatically trigger. Besides asynchronous issues, he said that for ease of use, even some other abilities would trigger faster. (Zombies always emerging upon Infect despite the physical card saying "may," etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Campbell
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This isn't really new though. When you play "Through the Ages" online for example people often have to make decisions on other peoples' turns.

They just pause your turn and ping the other person to make a decision. when they make that decision, it pings you back to tell you may now continue your to finish your turn.

There is nothing in asynchronous play that means you have to finish your entire turn before the other person has to do something. Sure it may slow down game completion a bit, but as with all asynchronous games getting the game done quickly is not the point. It's to play an entire game when time permits.

-VK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaporKnight wrote:
This isn't really new though. When you play "Through the Ages" online for example people often have to make decisions on other peoples' turns.

They just pause your turn and ping the other person to make a decision. when they make that decision, it pings you back to tell you may now continue your to finish your turn.

There is nothing in asynchronous play that means you have to finish your entire turn before the other person has to do something. Sure it may slow down game completion a bit, but as with all asynchronous games getting the game done quickly is not the point. It's to play an entire game when time permits.

-VK

Eh, hopefully this is not the case, as having a unit frozen would cause you to have to pause between every phase and ping your opponent, "do you want to unfreeze NOW? what about NOW?"

I'm sure they've thought this through and will not make the product something with a bunch of kinks like this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
VaporKnight wrote:

-VK

Eh, hopefully this is not the case, as having a unit frozen would cause you to have to pause between every phase and ping your opponent, "do you want to unfreeze NOW? what about NOW?"

I'm sure they've thought this through and will not make the product something with a bunch of kinks like this though.

A recent podcast has stated that some of the text of cards have been changed to accomodate this. Most likely the act of defreezing can only be done on the owner's turn and the option of defreeze given at the beginning of each phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any action that would be taken in the opponents turn will be either automatic or will be removed from the game at least when playing async.

I am really curious how they're going to work out the tiebreaker. When playing asynchronous, I don't think a clock would be fair since you would have to be awake and constantly checking your iPhone not to fall behind.

I am highly hopeful that the app will force a solution to the lingering problem of the stalemate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I think any action that would be taken in the opponents turn will be either automatic or will be removed from the game at least when playing async.

I am really curious how they're going to work out the tiebreaker. When playing asynchronous, I don't think a clock would be fair since you would have to be awake and constantly checking your iPhone not to fall behind.

I am highly hopeful that the app will force a solution to the lingering problem of the stalemate.

I think the game would have the functions of another Iphone game Hero Academy. Outside the few decisions you could do outside your turn, most of the other functions could easily copy that and work nicely. No clock needed but something like 7 days time to move or a forfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.