Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

1st & Goal» Forums » Rules

Subject: A lot of.....questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a lot. They are a mix about the game and about football. Unfortunately I am not really familiar with this sport, I am from EU. I just know that I need to push hard the ball on the other side as much as I can and try to get 1st downs along the way
Sorry for the long post, I will really appreciate any help.


After the 4th down, if I try one more play and I do not pass the 10 yard threshold for the 1st down I lose the ball. Now the defense gets the ball, but where? Where did I start the play or where the ball is after the play?

The turnover (fumble/intercept) gives the ball to the defense where the ball is after the play. Correct?

The ball and the First Down flag marker have magnets. Is it just to stick the ball to the marker, so can't be lost?

Penalties stop the clock and the offensive team does not have to burn a card, even if the defense decline the penalties. Is it the only case the offensive team doesn't have to burn a card?

There is a turnover after a blocked field goal attempt. Where does the defense(now offensive team) starts?

I just gave a quick look at the cards and I am pretty sure that there aren't Punt and FG play cards. So how do I play fake/kick card? I mean, do I need to declare an FG or a punt and after this, me and my opponent select the fake/kick card side?

In case of the Offense picks FAKE side, so the defense. Play is broken up. So there is a turnover. Do I need to roll the Referee die or that's it, Defense gets the offense deck? I think it is an automatic turnover, because what do I do if I don't get the T on the Referee die?

This one is a really football rookie question, when can i perform an inside kick? I don't think I can do it at the kick off. Is this a play that I should consider when I am at the 4th down?

Regarding the Punt:
the offense can remove a colored die and add the play die. This means that the defense will not roll the Play die. Correct?
With a T on the Play die, I roll the Referee die. If it comes out with a T offense recover the ball. Is the ball recovered where the ball is after the play? if I don't pass the 1st down threshold, is it a turnover and the defense gets the ball and starts where the ball is?
Does defense rolls the return after the offense roll or at the same time?
The defense rolls the Play die. What effects do I need to apply? The standard ones or the special Punt effects?
Why should the offense opt for a Punt instead of an Onside kick?

Safety: defense gets 2 points and the ball! This is nasty.

What are the pros for the offense to run the clock down?

What and which are the restricted passes (unplayable hand)?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
If you fail to convert a fourth down, the defense takes over at exactly the spot at which you were stopped on fourth down.

In this game there is apparently no advancement of the ball after a turnover, so the ball changes hands at the last spot of the ball, except in the case of a turnover in the opponent's endzone. The ball is then spotted at your 20 yard line (80 yards to go for a TD).

I don't have the game yet but the magnets secure the first down marker and football securely to the field-very important in this game.

The offensive team only burns an EXTRA card on a running play. It also applies on a passing play when they declare that they are "running the clock out". The defense can prevent the "burn" in both cases by calling a time out, assuming they have one.

As a house rule I'm eliminating fake punts and fake Field goals.

LOL, it's an "onside kick" (as opposed to "inside kick". You can only perform an "onside kick" at "kickoff" which occurs at the beginning of the game, at halftime, and anytime a fieldgoal or touchdown is scored. Kickoffs and the rare punt after a safety are not "downed" (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down) plays. You should perform the onside kick very judiciously. A kickoff is not a punt. A kickoff is performed off of a tee, kicked from the ground up, similar to a field goal except a holder is involved. A punt is performed by the kicker releasing the ball from his hands and kicking it before it hits the ground. It is done on 4th down 99.9% of the time.

[ImageID=http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070502HO_Sepulveda_450...]
PUNT

[ImageID=http://www.freestockphotos.biz/pictures/11/11963/football.jp...]
KICK OFF

The pros for the offense running the clock down are generally when they have the lead and if it's near halftime they want to take enough time off the clock so they're opponent doesn't have time to score.

Still awaiting the game but a restricted pass will have a red 10 or red 20 on both the upper left and upper right of the card. I know the Slant play is a "10 restricted" and the BOMB is a "20 restricted"



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Johnny.
What is a "punt after a safety"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Madazam wrote:
Thank you Johnny.
What is a "punt after a safety"?


The team that had the safety scored against them "free kicks" to the opposition from their 20 yard line. The punt is the kick that is virtually always used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, shouldn't it be a "kickoff" type?

Which house rule are you using about fake punt?

I hope somebody will be able to answer to my kick/fake questions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Madazam wrote:
Oh boy, shouldn't it be a "kickoff" type?

Which house rule are you using about fake punt?

I hope somebody will be able to answer to my kick/fake questions?


My house rule for fake punts is I'm not using them.

Let's not make it too complicated. You have either a kickoff or a punt.
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll try to answer your questions about kicking.

Madazam wrote:

There is a turnover after a blocked field goal attempt. Where does the defense(now offensive team) starts?


They get the ball at the same yard line from where the other team attempted to kick the field goal.

Madazam wrote:

I just gave a quick look at the cards and I am pretty sure that there aren't Punt and FG play cards. So how do I play fake/kick card? I mean, do I need to declare an FG or a punt and after this, me and my opponent select the fake/kick card side?


That's correct. You just announce that you are going to punt or kick a field goal, then you and your opponent reveal your kick/fake cards simultaneously.

Madazam wrote:

In case of the Offense picks FAKE side, so the defense. Play is broken up. So there is a turnover. Do I need to roll the Referee die or that's it, Defense gets the offense deck? I think it is an automatic turnover, because what do I do if I don't get the T on the Referee die?


Just as it says on the card, if both players picked "fake", then an automatic turnover occurs. The defense becomes the offense without changing the position of the ball.

Madazam wrote:

This one is a really football rookie question, when can i perform an inside kick? I don't think I can do it at the kick off. Is this a play that I should consider when I am at the 4th down?


An onside kick is a special kind of kickoff, where the kicking team is trying to recover the ball themselves. Once the ball has gone at least 10 yards from the point of the kick, it is a live ball and recoverable by either team. So the kicking team will kick the ball a short distance and hope that they catch the receiving team off-guard and recover the ball. The downside is that if the attempt fails, then the receiving team gets the ball with excellent field position because of the short kick.

Madazam wrote:

Regarding the Punt:
the offense can remove a colored die and add the play die. This means that the defense will not roll the Play die. Correct?


The defensive (receiving team) player can still opt to return the punt, if the result was a Breakaway (extra bounce) or if an initial T result is not followed by a T on the referee die.

Madazam wrote:

With a T on the Play die, I roll the Referee die. If it comes out with a T offense recover the ball. Is the ball recovered where the ball is after the play?


Yes. The ball still travels the distance rolled by the offense. Think of it as the receiver fumbling the ball after the catch, which is immediately recovered by the kicking team.

Madazam wrote:

if I don't pass the 1st down threshold, is it a turnover and the defense gets the ball and starts where the ball is?


Regardless of how far it travels, a punt is caught by the defense, who then become the offense. The only exception would be a turnover, where the offense would get the ball back, or a penalty on the defense that moves the ball far enough for a first down.

Madazam wrote:

Does defense rolls the return after the offense roll or at the same time?


After the offense rolls for the punt, then defense gets to choose whether they wish to attempt a return or call for a fair catch (take the ball where it lands without a return).

Madazam wrote:

The defense rolls the Play die. What effects do I need to apply? The standard ones or the special Punt effects?


The special punt table for the Play die is only used when the punting player chooses to replace a colored die with the Play die. When the defense rolls for a punt return, the Play die has its normal effects.



2 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Bill! Now is everything clear.
Anyway, is it possible to have a turnover just after the kickoff?
I mean yesterday I rolled the die for the kickoff return and a turnover happened. Is it correct or I made a mistake? I don't know if in real football a turnover can happen just after the kickoff.

So for the punt, I take the Play die from the defense and he can prevent it. He has to give the die.
If I am the offense, why do I want to roll the Play die? The special results for the punt seem worse than the standard results.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Madazam wrote:
Thank you Bill! Now is everything clear.
Anyway, is it possible to have a turnover just after the kickoff?
I mean yesterday I rolled the die for the kickoff return and a turnover happened. Is it correct or I made a mistake? I don't know if in real football a turnover can happen just after the kickoff.

So for the punt, I take the Play die from the defense and he can prevent it. He has to give the die.
If I am the offense, why do I want to roll the Play die? The special results for the punt seem worse than the standard results.


Hey Stefano. Yes, it's possible but if the Play Die came up "T" that only indicates a potential turnover. You must then roll the referee dice. If A "T" shows up again it's a turnover.

You can also decide to take a touchback on the kickoff, meaning you have chosen not to run it out and not to roll the dice. The ball will be spotted at your 20 (80 yards from a Touchdown-[TD]).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybee7414 wrote:
Madazam wrote:
Thank you Bill! Now is everything clear.
Anyway, is it possible to have a turnover just after the kickoff?
I mean yesterday I rolled the die for the kickoff return and a turnover happened. Is it correct or I made a mistake? I don't know if in real football a turnover can happen just after the kickoff.

So for the punt, I take the Play die from the defense and he can prevent it. He has to give the die.
If I am the offense, why do I want to roll the Play die? The special results for the punt seem worse than the standard results.


Hey Stefano. Yes, it's possible but if the Play Die came up "T" that only indicates a potential turnover. You must then roll the referee dice. If A "T" shows up again it's a turnover.

You can also decide to take a touchback on the kickoff, meaning you have chosen not to run it out and not to roll the dice. The ball will be spotted at your 20 (80 yards from a Touchdown-[TD]).



Ehhehe...yes it happened yesterday when I started a match
Yeah, you are right. I forgot that. Probably it is the best choice, because yeasterday when I tried the kickoff return, I got 18 yards line first time and 22 yards line another time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Johnny said, it is entirely possible to get a turnover on the kickoff. In real football, you do occasionally see a receiver fumble the ball on a kick return, generally the result of the ball getting knocked loose by a hit before he is tackled.

The offense doesn't need to take the Play die from the defense, he already has it. Whether or not to use it during a punt is an option for the offense. Why do it? There are four potential positives for the offense in rolling the Play die: a turnover result that gets the ball back, a defensive penalty resulting in a first down, a few extra yards gained, or preventing a return. All in all there's about a 50% chance of getting a positive outcome. There are only two negative results for the offense: a blocked punt or an offensive penalty; and the odds of these happening are only about 17%.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bill.
But if the offense doesn't take the Play die, it will rolled by the defense. I understand that anyway the Play Die is a neutral die that can affect both side positively or negatively.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:

But if the offense doesn't take the Play die, it will rolled by the defense.


I'm not sure what you mean by this. Choosing to use the Play die does not automatically prevent the defense from attempting a return, only upon certain results. For example, the offense rolls the yardage dice and a "T" on the Play die, but does not roll a second "T" with the Referee die. The ball is moved down field the distance of the yardage dice. Now the defensive player could choose to roll the Play and Green dice for a punt return, using the normal Play die results.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmm.....wait a second. Are we talking about the punt?

Ok, so the kicker decides to substitute a color die for the Play die. Then the receiver will roll the Play die also because he wants to preform the return. How do you resolve these two Play die rolls?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Bilben04 wrote:
There are only two negative results for the offense: a blocked punt or an offensive penalty; and the odds of these happening are only about 17%.


I think it's calculated risk, but a 1 out of 6 (17%) chance of a blocked punt is reasonably high.

The extra yards gained on the punt from an "extra bounce" or preventing a return isn't huge (usually).

So your left with the biggies, a possible defensive penalty giving the offense the ball back. It's a 1 in 18 chance that a defensive penalty would occur and that wouldn't necessarily give the offense a first down. It's a 1 in 36 chance that a turnover would happen.

I'm not a statistician but does that come out to less than a 1 in 27 shot at one of these things happening?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're overestimating the odds of the defensive penalty, as it requires exactly one face on each die, so that's 1 in 36. What you're referring to as 'the biggies' are extreme long shots. But as they say with the lottery, if you don't play, you can't win.

I'd say the main reason to choose to roll the Play die with a punt is when you want to prevent a return. The odds are a reasonable 1 in 3 and under certain circumstances this can be valuable. The standard Green die return is an average of 12 (minimum 10) yards. That's not insignificant, particularly if you're trying to keep your opponent out of field goal range.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny United
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Bilben04 wrote:
I think you're overestimating the odds of the defensive penalty, as it requires exactly one face on each die, so that's 1 in 36.


You're right. It's 1 in 18 that ANY penalty happens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AllGoodNamesTaken OrNot
msg tools
Madazam wrote:
Oh boy, shouldn't it be a "kickoff" type?

In real American Football, after a Safety (offensive player gets tackled in their own end zone), a 'Free Kick' is done. While the team lines up (formation) like on a Kick-Off, the kicker actually punts the ball (ball in hand and kicked in the air)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.