HeroQuest» Forums » General

Subject: difference between US and EUR version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
capitaine spoppo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me a little about those difference and I would also like to have some opinion about which version is the better.

I'M planning about buying one on eBay, but can't decide which version I should take.

thanks for your answer.
PL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted this list before, but it is always good for comparison ...

A quick run down of the major differences:

UK: 2 versions; Version #1 Quest Book starts with "The Maze" and Version #2 Quest Book starts with "The Trial".
US: Quest Book starts with "The Trial"

UK: Evil Wizard is Morcar.
US: Evil Wizard is Zargon.

UK: All Monsters (except Ogres*) have 1 Body Point.
US: Mosters have different Body Points depending on the Monster.
* Ogres in Ogre Horde had a Body Track; a very strange track that all Ogres in combat had shared Body Points ...

UK: Morcar only has Spells available in the Wizards of Morcar and Ogre Horde*.
US: Zargon has Chaos Spells available from the Base Set.
* The Spells in Ogre Horde were not cards but oval chits. Nor are they actually Spells, they were basically a Psychic Combat between the Sorcerer and the target.

UK: Uses Equipment Cards (Exclusives: Bracers for the Wizard, Cloak for the Wizard, Handaxe, Spear).
US: Uses the Armory Board (Exclusives: Dagger).

UK: Has 5 Artifacts.
US: Has 10 Artifacts*
* 30 Artifacts if you count the US versions of Kellar's Keep & Return of the Witch Lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
capitaine spoppo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the list.

As for the gameplay, do you know if those difference change it a little or maybe even a lot.

Do you personaly prefer one or another??

Thank you!

PL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are good and bad points to each change.
Overall, being an effective second edition, the US set plays slightly better, but misses some nice things from the UK version.

I spent the last few years working on a hybrid of the two as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spoppo wrote:
Thank you for the list.

As for the gameplay, do you know if those difference change it a little or maybe even a lot.

Do you personaly prefer one or another??

Thank you!

PL

I own all versions. The UK is an exploration game (little danger for the Heroes), whereas the US is a dungeon crawl (less chance to explore everything)., I much prefer the US version ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
capitaine spoppo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for the feedback

do you think you could you give me some example about the difference in term of gameplay and why you think the US version is slightly better.

As the game became expensif, I want to be sure I make the righ purchase, so it would be really appreciated if I can be 100% aware about the decision I need to make.

So thx to all of you guys who helped me and those who might help me.

EDIT : I'm starting to understand the overall difference, but can you give me an exemple on how those differences makes one more dangerous than the other?

PL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than what I stated above ...

UK is an exploration game (very little challenge for the Heroes). Monsters have a single Body Point, Wizard can simply purchase Magic Items, etc.
US is a dungeon crawl (little chance to explore the entire dungeon). Monsters have multiple Body Points, Zargon has Chaos Spells, etc.

... there's not much to say. If you plan to play with younger children, go with the UK version. If you plan to play with older children/adults go with the US version. If you plan to play with experienced gamers go with Warhammerquest ... But, that will really cost you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a black and white, very very basic comparisson:

UK: explore, discover, heroic
US: fight, battle, scream

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
capitaine spoppo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much all of you.

I have one last question !

If I end up with the UK version, whatever the reason, can I just use the body point of the US version and print proxy of the chaos spell to make it like the US version??

best regard
PL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely and easily done. You will also need Body Point counters. As you will have the main game you can downlaod the questbooks too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
capitaine spoppo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!!!

Ty very much guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sigfridsson
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
Hi guys,
I have the UK version of the game, but with my gaming group we use the American version of all the monsters to make the gaming experience a tad bit more interesting!

You can find a complete list of the US/EU versions of the manuals, quest books and cards here: http://heroquest.no-ip.com/

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Carter
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
I just bought the American version of the game, new in shrink-wrap, for $123 on eBay. Given some of the prices I've seen it going for, I think I found a really good bargain!

Can someone tell me, though, if it's possible to use the Wizards of Morcar and Against the Ogre Horde expansions with the American version of the game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really, but Phoenix has converted the quests to US format HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermocrates wrote:
I just bought the American version of the game, new in shrink-wrap, for $123 on eBay. Given some of the prices I've seen it going for, I think I found a really good bargain!

Can someone tell me, though, if it's possible to use the Wizards of Morcar and Against the Ogre Horde expansions with the American version of the game?

Thanks!

Actually.. if you can get the expansion(or I guess just the quests) just playing them as written (except for the body point for the orges(i'll explain below)) they can be pretty challenging. Because remember.. they were designed where all monster have one body point. Giving them the proper number can really make their numbers(of figures) down right terrifying.
We decided to give all ogres 5 body points.If you want it harder try making it the normal(from Elf Expansion) 10. *shudder*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Graham
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malechi wrote:

UK: 2 versions; Version #1 Quest Book starts with "The Maze" and Version #2 Quest Book starts with "The Trial".

UK: Uses Equipment Cards (Exclusives: Bracers for the Wizard, Cloak for the Wizard, Handaxe, Spear).

I've only seen 1 copy of the UK version 1, but it's equipment deck had 2 shields and 2 helmets and no bracers/cloak of protection, it wasn't until I managed to pick up a copy of version 2 we realised these were missing and that the wizard stopped being so ultra cautious in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan G wrote:
Malechi wrote:

I've only seen 1 copy of the UK version 1, but it's equipment deck had 2 shields and 2 helmets and no bracers/cloak of protection, it wasn't until I managed to pick up a copy of version 2 we realised these were missing and that the wizard stopped being so ultra cautious in combat.

Yeah I've only got the original version with no bracers or cloak, making the wizard an uber wuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original and a revised version of the UK edition as well as all the rules scenarios and cards from the US version, and I agree that the later versions of the UK copies with Bracers and the Cloak in the equipment deck makes a large difference to the feeble Wizard's ability!

It's also worth noting that the American version Rulebook is very different, with more precise rules regarding things like handling traps. In the UK version the Dwarf automatically disarmed all traps he found whilst searching, whilst in the US version he has to make a roll to disarm, but with better odds of disarming then the other heroes using a Toolkit!

There is also better clarified scenarios in the US version, with extra monsters in places and others omitted, as well as more furniture placement (the UK version was very sparse at times), and stronger special boss characters (having spells helps a lot!, but they have extra strength and hits too). goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some additional differences between editions:

Frankly, so many minor things that it's not even worthwhile to worry about it. Even if your set is piecemeal with different versions within just play it as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
herman_the_german wrote:
Here are some additional differences between editions:

Frankly, so many minor things that it's not even worthwhile to worry about it. Even if your set is piecemeal with different versions within just play it as is.

The life point difference of the monsters alone changes the game drastically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edgar
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Malechi wrote:

Do you mean that the quests have been converted to play with the US game? I would like to acquire all of the expansions and play them on my US board with US rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandman0077 wrote:
Malechi wrote:

Do you mean that the quests have been converted to play with the US game? I would like to acquire all of the expansions and play them on my US board with US rules.

It's actually more interesting to play the british quests as written. Far more brutal that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Malechi wrote:
If you plan to play with experienced gamers go with Warhammerquest ... But, that will really cost you!

No. Go with Advanced Hero Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This thread has incorrectly been moved to the HQ25th forums. Please move back to the regular HQ forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
This thread has incorrectly been moved to the HQ25th forums. Please move back to the regular HQ forums.

QFT - This thread is about official versions, not a fan made debacle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.