United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
After months of "I'll buy Glen More! Ehhh nevermind," I finally decided to go pick up the copy I saw at one of the FLGSes. Of course, now it's out of stock at the distributor (between printings, maybe? *crosses fingers*), and the copy at the store seems to be gone. I'm not interested in paying over MSRP to get it on the secondhand market, so I guess I want to pick up another Euro.

My completely ridiculous but non-negotiable requirements are:
- Enjoyable with 2 players. I don't care if it's out of the box or with a well-tested variant-- for example, we love Brass with the 2P variant posted on BGG.
- An hour or shorter playtime. Learning games can take longer, but eventually I'd like to fit a leisurely game into 45 minutes to an hour.
- Wood pieces! It's a silly requirement, but I want it to feel like a dry Euro with a pasted on, boring theme. Wood pieces really drive that home for me.
- No strictly card games, please. I want a board or a bunch of cardboard tiles or something where the relative location of pieces on the play area is relevant.
- Euro! Euro euro! I want an unabashed Euro and all of the up/downsides that come with the label.

I'm not overly concerned with weight or the presence/absence of luck.

Though they don't fit into the time requirement above, we like Brass: Lancashire, Caylus, and Steam a lot. Anything that can capture at least a piece of those in a smaller package would be lovely.

Thanks, lovely BGGers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Aton might meet those criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head:

Homesteaders
Navegador
Santiago de Cuba (may be a little lighter than you're looking for?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hope you're patient enough to pre-order!

I found it at 1/3 off at Thoughthammer:
http://www.thoughthammer.com/glen-more-p-8017.html

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Agricola and Stone Age (Agricola if we want to feel the tension of good and bad choices, Stone Age if we want a more relaxed game). Both of these games run much longer with more people, but about an hour with just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your criteria is pretty much the wheelhouse of games we like to play, so aside from echoing the suggestion of Aton (which, with practice, you can probably play in 15 minutes) and Navegador (which might run a tad long and doesn't have too much wood, but is a great game), I'll say these:

At the Gates of Loyang Mixed reviews on the Geek, but we really enjoy it. Tons of wooden pieces.
Burger Joint Basically an abstract, so pasted-on is the theme, but it comes with Euro trappings of drafting, a tiny bit of take that, and - sort of - a tech tree.
Finca My wife's current favorite. Simpler than the rest of this list (except Burger Joint, maybe), but lots of wooden fruit and lots of fun with 2.
Fresco The dummy player with two works really well
Merkator Same comments as Loyang, above, with an even more irrelevant - and even more Euro-y - theme.
Royal Palace Mozart-eeples are the only wood pieces, but this one's pretty Euroy and probably the most reliably fits into a leisurely 45 minutes

Even though there's no wooden pieces, I'm going to also toss out Endeavor. I've not actually played the 2p variant on BGG, but I've read that it's very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for At the Gates of Loyang. Nice solo game, plays great with 2.

For something different and new, check out Takenoko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao.

2 player is quite fast after a play or 2, and one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really nailed Glen More. It's everything you're looking for. Such a great game.

I'd say Agricola is a great bet. It's good with 2 and fits most of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a ton of great suggestions here-- thanks all!

The short list for right now is Aton, Burger Joint, Finca, and Macao. Just about everything in the thread looks good, though, so my wishlist just got a good bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I couldn't get Glen More my first instinct would be Glenmorangie. It meets all your non-negotiable requirements. The one hour playing time is achievable dependant upon your level of skill and your degree of commitment to the next day's productivity--but if that's an issue you might be abusing the game rather than savouring the flavour of the game as much as it deserves. I tend to play with crystal pieces on some sort of cork-bottomed wooden coasting device to protect the table. I supposed Scottish counts as Euro. Certainly when bending the elbow there are a lot of ups and downs so I think you'll be very happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris C wrote:
If I couldn't get Glen More my first instinct would be Glenmorangie.

It's not in the database. I'd suggest you submit it and send me a sample copy, so that I can write a review meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went to the game store hoping to find a copy of Aton (though I wasn't too optimistic-- it seems to be out of print as well), and it turns out they still had the copy of Glen More on the shelf. I called and asked after the game before I posted this thread, and the guy on the phone must have been mistaken. Cool!

I'm still on the lookout for some of the other things mentioned here. One or two will probably make it into my next big order. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oh, and I looked for that Glenmorangie, but it seems the FLGS' liquor license hasn't gone through quite yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are one lucky guy, finding Glen More there after all. I can't find it anywhere.

+1 for:

Finca
Aton (watch the auctions)
Macao

which are 3 of our very favorite games and I would like to add

Kingdom Builder

which is a recent addition to our collection that we have been enjoying immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
Well, I went to the game store hoping to find a copy of Aton (though I wasn't too optimistic-- it seems to be out of print as well), ....

Keep looking. There were hundreds of Aton given away at BGG.CON in November. As someone mentioned above, watch the auctions or ask around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris C wrote:
If I couldn't get Glen More my first instinct would be Glenmorangie. It meets all your non-negotiable requirements. The one hour playing time is achievable dependant upon your level of skill and your degree of commitment to the next day's productivity--but if that's an issue you might be abusing the game rather than savouring the flavour of the game as much as it deserves. I tend to play with crystal pieces on some sort of cork-bottomed wooden coasting device to protect the table. I supposed Scottish counts as Euro. Certainly when bending the elbow there are a lot of ups and downs so I think you'll be very happy with it.
... and the wood is VERY important (though putting wooden pieces in is technically illegal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This might be a little long for what you are asking for. But since you two like Caylus and Brass so much, I think Le Harve would be a great game for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.