Popular Tags: [View All]
John Desmond
United States
Newark
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations, gentlefolk !

Back on June 10, 1996, Peter Goudswaard and Dewey Barich compiled version 1.4 of the Frequently Asked Questions list for the 2nd Edition rules of _Axis & Allies_, which document was reposted on the rec.games.board Usenet group regularly through 2005, and is still available at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/rec.games.board/

This FAQ states that it "is copyright 1996 by Peter Goudswaard
and may not be reproduced in any form without permission by the author,
except for personal use or redistribution through normal Usenet
channels and no fee is charged for such use. Reproduction on CD-ROM
is permitted if two copies of the CD's are given as payment to the
authors"

Now, unfortunately, neither Mr. Goudswaard, Mr. Barich, nor Ms. Britt Klein (listed as the maintainer of the Official Axis & Allies FAQ FTP site) can be reached at the Eddresses given in this FAQ. While there's a Mr. Goudswaard listed as one of the domain owners at CarcassonneCentral.com, a message to that site's administrator hasn't been returned.

Yours truly, having recently acquired another copy of A&A at thrift store, (missing an AA gun, but with 17 infantrymen for each power instead of listed 15 (and all else present and accounted for))(he has thrifted for, and sold or given away, a couple of copies in his lifetime), has reformatted the FAQ into a .doc file suitable for modern printers (and, Real Soon Now, will print out a copy and add it to the box), and would like to either: get the permission of the copyright holder to add it to BGG's file section, or, reach a general consensus that the BGG file sections are part of 'normal Usenet channels'.

Your opinions are invited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about this FAQ. The official one can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't usenet content public domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdesmond wrote:
...rec.games.board Usenet group regularly through 2005, and is still available at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/rec.games.board/

This FAQ states that ...

This link didn't work when I tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desmond
United States
Newark
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations, gentlefolk !

OK, this is one occasion when 'improvements' have had the computers outsmarting us, and an old grognard like me has to remember about File Transfer Protocol, and ask everyone to clip the link, paste into your browser window, and retype the link as:
"ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/rec.games.board/"

that's "FTP-colon-slash-slash-RTFM-period-etc"

No "http://" at the beginning - this is the URL of a Web preserve from the Age of the Dinosaurs, ;-) and BGG's software's too new to deal with it.

Worked fine at 11:08 Eastern Standard Time, Saturday February 18th. Hope it does so for you. Apologies for causing you problems earlier.

Yours, John Desmond

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desmond
United States
Newark
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salutations !

IANAL, but as far as I know, simply putting something, with a copyright notice, onto the Internet, doesn't put it 'into the public domain'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A blast from the past! I got it to work. Thanks for that.

Let me offer my opinion on the legal status of copyrights. Nobody here is a copyright lawyer, but I know some things. Basically just about everything that happens on the internet is not strictly legal from a copyright perspective. The only way to be 100% legal is to have a license to do a specific thing with copyrighted material.

Now, that said, this is how it usually works. If you have made a reasonable attempt to contact the copyright holder (the more reasonable the easier it would be to defend in court) and have not been able to get a response you could consider the intellectual property to be abandoned. At which point it falls into the public domain and is free for use and distribution.

Like I say, the abandoned property route is not strictly legal, but is very commonly accepted as acceptable. I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.