Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: France plans Napoleonland theme park rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought wargamers would be interested in this cool
Looks to not be your typical amusement park, rather, it will be "living history" with battle re-enactments etc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9027...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrebleu!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/756046/napoleonland-help...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Will Germany build a Hitlerland?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity, I thought the amusement park idea would have been fun. A merry-go-round with cavalry horses, cotton candy on a bayonet and a short guy in a plush, cartoony looking Napoleon suit waving and taking pictures with the kids. Oh well...merde.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Historical Context (topics that are of interest to wargamers but are tangential to gaming)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:

Will Germany build a Hitlerland?


I don't really think this is relevant, comparing Hitler and Napoleon is a bit like comparing Nixon and Pol Pot. 'While Napoleon was the 'bad guy' (by virtue of being the loser) in the Napoleonic Wars, he was not a genocidal dictator bent on exterminating a whole ideology and a whole religion. It's surely a little early in the thread for reductio ad Hitlerum?
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:

Will Germany build a Hitlerland?


Bismarckland would be a more apt simile.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:


Weird, before I posted I did a forum search on "napoleonland" and it came up blank.
Maybe someday BGG will have a decent search engine whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
Pity, I thought the amusement park idea would have been fun. A merry-go-round with cavalry horses, cotton candy on a bayonet and a short guy in a plush, cartoony looking Napoleon suit waving and taking pictures with the kids. Oh well...merde.


I find this quote... interesting:

Other curious potential attractions ... a recreation of Louis XVI being guillotined during the revolution – the precursor to Napoleon’s rise to power.
"It's going to be fun for the family,” Mr Jégo told the Times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
I believe Nappy was as ruthless as Adolf - his 1812 Campaign speaks to that.

His armies ravaged Europe and resulted in the deaths of millions, all for his personal glory.

He would destroy a continent just for his own selfish need.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
I believe Nappy was as ruthless as Adolf - his 1812 Campaign speaks to that.

His armies ravaged Europe and resulted in the deaths of millions, all for his personal glory.

He would destroy a continent just for his own selfish need.


You're talking about the man who reformed civil law, forbidding privileges based on birth, permitting freedom of religion (compare and contrast to, say, life under the English kings) and directed that government employment be granted to those most qualified for the job. He emancipated the Jews, laid the foundations for the metric system, etc. He did a lot of good things for people, too.

What I meant by my comment above was that war was unfortunately the accepted way to do business then. If Napoleon felt compelled to wage war - was it because he wanted to, or was it because that was simply how things were done (and, moreover - he was good at it)? And how much of France's troubles were the result of coalitions against it in the first place?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea! We have complaints about not people caring about their history, right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Pity, I thought the amusement park idea would have been fun. A merry-go-round with cavalry horses, cotton candy on a bayonet and a short guy in a plush, cartoony looking Napoleon suit waving and taking pictures with the kids. Oh well...merde.


I find this quote... interesting:

Other curious potential attractions ... a recreation of Louis XVI being guillotined during the revolution – the precursor to Napoleon’s rise to power.
"It's going to be fun for the family,” Mr Jégo told the Times.


I like it! Fun for the whole family!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
November 11, 1918 - end of WW-I
badge
Lest we forget
Avatar
mb
White Knight wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Pity, I thought the amusement park idea would have been fun. A merry-go-round with cavalry horses, cotton candy on a bayonet and a short guy in a plush, cartoony looking Napoleon suit waving and taking pictures with the kids. Oh well...merde.


I find this quote... interesting:

Other curious potential attractions ... a recreation of Louis XVI being guillotined during the revolution – the precursor to Napoleon’s rise to power.
"It's going to be fun for the family,” Mr Jégo told the Times.


I like it! Fun for the whole family!
Some sorts of public entertainment seem to be timeless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
[...] permitting freedom of religion (compare and contrast to, say, life under the English kings) [...]


I don't quite get the comparison. The Papists Act of 1778 ended many of the penal laws against Catholics. The Irish Disenfranchising Act was repealed in 1793 giving Catholics the vote there. The Test and Corporation Acts weren't repealed until 1828, but I believe for Dissenters they had in practice fallen into disuse anyway. The Catholic Relief Act (that e.g. allowed Catholics to sit in parliament) only came in 1829, but it was clearly the result of a longer process that had begun even before the French Revolution.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
xmfcnrx wrote:

Will Germany build a Hitlerland?


Bismarckland would be a more apt simile.


I think an Andreas Hoferland in Austria is much more likely.

EDIT: What am I saying? Ludwig I built his own German version of Napoleonland back in 1830-42. There aren't any rides, mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
I would think that what Napoleon didn't do as far as religion goes was as important as any kind of formal legislation you might name, if only because it's his inaction that seems to be noted by scholars, insofar as they relate to his personal feelings on religion. In other words - unlike, say, a Rick Santorum(?) - he put aside his own feelings in favour of, if not a greater good, than at least the means to social order.

"If I governed a nation of Jews, I should reestablish the Temple of Solomon."

In other words, he wasn't forcing his own religious views on his domain; they were free to choose. It may have been political opportunism, but - so what?


My point was why compare Napoleon on religion to the very government at that time ending restrictions on those not practising the state religion?

There are lots of puzzling things in your post. Was Napoleon "inactive" in religious policy? What about the Concordat and the Organic Articles? How else did he enact tolerance but through formal legislation?

Did Napoleon actually have "his own feelings" on religion that he "put aside"? He always seemed to me to see religious policy as nothing more than a means of maintaining social order (which is basically what your quote says). Can we talk of him "not forcing his views on his domain" (which seems to me to be a slightly simplistic way of describing ancien regime religious policy anyway) when he had little in the way of views in the first place?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
I hope to ask him someday, but given his own views on religion, that may be impossible. Given mine, I'm looking forward to the encounter anyway. :)

I trust those of you that saw my Facebook photo of the two of us together won't tell him how I chose to honour his memory, should you run into him before me. I'd hate for you to get him in a bad mood.


No need. I'll happily stick to the more traditional methods of reconstructing the views of dead people--looking at what they wrote, said and did and trying to contextualise this by examining the debates of the time, the leeway they had for action etc.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.