B Patterson
United States
Kaufman
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying, I love this game. But I have to admit it generally seems to not make any thematic sense whatsoever. For example:

1. Why would a Federation captain leave his ship and take over a Klingon Bird of Prey because he is a good diplomat?
2. Since when did Starfleet allow Romulans to serve on their ships?
3. Why would you be on multiple missions at one time (most shows had one main mission and several plot sidelines)?
4. Why would I go to war with my allies?
5. And for crying out loud why would I fight the Enterprise-D if I myself am a Federation captain?

To help fix these problems here are the rules I play with:

1A. Each player chooses one faction to play as (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferangi, Cardassian).
1B Game difficulty per player is chosen by initially picking one faction's flagship to play as for the entire game (ex. Excelsior- Easy, Nebula- Medium, Constellation-Hard). The rest of the ships are mixed in the Space Deck and ships won by diplomacy simply go into your point total.
2. Players can only add character cards to their ship that would make sense (ex. The Romulan ships gets Romulans, Klingon ships gets Klingons, Cardassian ships get Cardassians, and so on).
3. Each player gets one mission/enemy ship at a time that only he can resolve/fight. This mission can be rejected by drawing another mission or having three turns pass (time should matter in space...that's a pun).
4. Never go to war with your allies or a ship of your same faction (unless you want to play that they are traitors and need to be punished).
5. Per the last rule, I always include the Enterprise-D in the Space Deck and treat it as taken over by hostile forces (this would make sense as far as attacking it or trying to have diplomatic relations with its crew).


For solo play, any mission or ship not completed/defeated goes towards a universe point total and not to the bottom of the deck. If your ship is destroyed you automatically lose. If you survive and reach 400 points compare it to the universe point total.

I have found these rules help solve the balance issues with level 50 or 75 ships because you choose from the beginning how good you are, they create a very fun solo player experience (I have valiantly died twice, tied the universe and won once) and most importantly gives this game some much needed theme.

In closing, if you like to charge into war with Captain Picard on your new Bird of Prey full of Romulans and Ferangi against another Bird of Prey led by Data and an uptight Cardassian then these rules might not be the best for you. Otherwise enjoy and let me know your thoughts too!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Patterson
United States
Kaufman
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After writing this variant I decided to take on improving the Klingon Civil War scenario. Here are the new rules I play with that have given the game more theme and make it a blast to play (either solo or with multiple players):

1. Remove all factions from the Starbase deck besides Enterprise Crew and all Klingons (you should end up with no more than 20 characters).
2. On your third turn you must search the space deck. When you search the space deck start counting again up to three before you are forced to search again (Victory waits for no one!).
3. Add the House of Duras as a revival to the game (this is my favorite):
A. Set aside a starting Bird of Prey to be commanded by the House of Duras (he was the son of a traitor and Romulan sympathizer).
B. Compile a deck for Duras to use in battles consisting of all Romulan characters, 3 Commanders, and one of each set-up and maneuver that improves either weapons,shields, or speed above +2.
4. When in an Interstellar Battle roll a 6d to determine if you or Duras is the primary attacker (highest roll is the attacker). If Duras is the highest play X amount of cards before Duras (X being his die roll). If you are play as normal by choosing X amount of cards to play.
5. If you are destroyed at any time you lose and will not become the head of the Klingon Empire. This also applies to Duras.
6. When exploring Space if you can not successively defeat an enemy ship or recruit the revealed ally ship do not put it on the bottom of the deck but in Duras' point area (he uses your mistakes as his means to gain the Empire).
7. When you reveal an Influence card role a 6d to see if you or Duras receives it (highest roll gets the influence).
8. You become the new head of the Empire if you are the last man standing or if you meet the requirements of the Arbiter.

These new rules greatly speed up the game as you can win by honorably killing the other challengers for the Empire. It also creates a lot of theme by using only Klingons and friendly Starfleet crew on each Bird of Prey as well as having to fight off the traitorous House of Duras and their Romulan loving ways.

So far I have lost five times in battle (each was very close), won twice in battle (by killing Duras) and won once by declaration of the Arbiter (best day ever). Enjoy these new rules and as I start other scenarios I will post to this thread again!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to these ideas (which I think are pretty cool)... what about the ability to upgrade to a new ship via cashing in Victory points as well as through Diplomacy? Say either on a 1 for 1 basis (trash 25 VP from your pile to buy a 25 pt. ship), or, if that is too easy/overpowered, try half return on investment, ie: 50 VP gets you a 25 pt ship.

Maybe this could even be a totally different variant, combined with the Faction rules from the TC.

Make a separate deck for each specific faction's ships, leaving the non-specific ones in the encounter deck. Ships encountered via exploration are handled normally. Otherwise, players can focus more on completing missions and using their success in those missions (VP) to get "promoted" to better and better ships. The game balance being that someone who trades in all their VP to get a kick butt ship, will be putting themselves far behind other players.

Just a thought. I have not tried this in the game at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Patterson
United States
Kaufman
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
In addition to these ideas (which I think are pretty cool)... what about the ability to upgrade to a new ship via cashing in Victory points as well as through Diplomacy? Say either on a 1 for 1 basis (trash 25 VP from your pile to buy a 25 pt. ship), or, if that is too easy/overpowered, try half return on investment, ie: 50 VP gets you a 25 pt ship.

Maybe this could even be a totally different variant, combined with the Faction rules from the TC.

Make a separate deck for each specific faction's ships, leaving the non-specific ones in the encounter deck. Ships encountered via exploration are handled normally. Otherwise, players can focus more on completing missions and using their success in those missions (VP) to get "promoted" to better and better ships. The game balance being that someone who trades in all their VP to get a kick butt ship, will be putting themselves far behind other players.

Just a thought. I have not tried this in the game at all.


I am right on board with you brother. When I first came up with these rules the vision was to progress through a career in the Federation. To do this it made sense that once a Captain completes X amount of missions or defeats/diplomacy X amount of ships he would get promoted. I played with get to 100 points get promoted, get to 200 points get promoted and it made the game really easy...too easy for a Federation Captain.

I like your idea of spending Victory Points (I'm guessing they don't count toward your end total). Maybe it could be a 1 to 4 ratio to keep the game somewhat hard. For example if you had a 25VP ship (not amazing) and 200 VPs in your point area you would essentially have to decide 1). Do I upgrade to a 50VP ship and start from scratch hoping others don't beat me first? or 2). Do I stay with my 25VP ship and hope I don't die before I reach 400VP?

Here is how I would break down each faction's decks (everyone begins with that scenario's starter ship then can improve to these ships):
Federation- Nebula, Excelsior, Enterprise
Cardassian- Warship(Type 1), Warship (Type 2), Warship (Type 3)
Ferengi- Shuttlepod, Marauder (D'Kora small), Marauder (D'Kora large)
Klingon- Bird of Prey (K'vort Class), Bird of Prey (B'rel Class), Attack Cruiser
Romulan- Scout Ship, Science Vessel, Warbird

Let me know how it works out and know I will probably try this set-up in my next game night!


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Patterson
United States
Kaufman
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WFPII wrote:
After writing this variant I decided to take on improving the Klingon Civil War scenario. Here are the new rules I play with that have given the game more theme and make it a blast to play (either solo or with multiple players):

1. Remove all factions from the Starbase deck besides Enterprise Crew and all Klingons (you should end up with no more than 20 characters).
2. On your third turn you must search the space deck. When you search the space deck start counting again up to three before you are forced to search again (Victory waits for no one!).
3. Add the House of Duras as a revival to the game (this is my favorite):
A. Set aside a starting Bird of Prey to be commanded by the House of Duras (he was the son of a traitor and Romulan sympathizer).
B. Compile a deck for Duras to use in battles consisting of all Romulan characters, 3 Commanders, and one of each set-up and maneuver that improves either weapons,shields, or speed above +2.
4. When in an Interstellar Battle roll a 6d to determine if you or Duras is the primary attacker (highest roll is the attacker). If Duras is the highest play X amount of cards before Duras (X being his die roll). If you are play as normal by choosing X amount of cards to play.
5. If you are destroyed at any time you lose and will not become the head of the Klingon Empire. This also applies to Duras.
6. When exploring Space if you can not successively defeat an enemy ship or recruit the revealed ally ship do not put it on the bottom of the deck but in Duras' point area (he uses your mistakes as his means to gain the Empire).
7. When you reveal an Influence card role a 6d to see if you or Duras receives it (highest roll gets the influence).
8. You become the new head of the Empire if you are the last man standing or if you meet the requirements of the Arbiter.

These new rules greatly speed up the game as you can win by honorably killing the other challengers for the Empire. It also creates a lot of theme by using only Klingons and friendly Starfleet crew on each Bird of Prey as well as having to fight off the traitorous House of Duras and their Romulan loving ways.

So far I have lost five times in battle (each was very close), won twice in battle (by killing Duras) and won once by declaration of the Arbiter (best day ever). Enjoy these new rules and as I start other scenarios I will post to this thread again!


I just posted pictures of my last Klingon Civil War variant session.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1249471/star-trek-deck-buildi...
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1249469/star-trek-deck-buildi...

Here is how the final stages of the game broke down:

After exploring space and winning two undecided Birds of Prey I received news that the Klingon Council was backing the House of Duras. Before I had time to react Duras' ship jumped out of warp and initiated a surprise attack. With four Romulans on board his ship their speed was double that of mine, registered an attack of 12 but had shields of only 9. I took heavy damage but thanks to Geordi's previous repairs and the shields we remained intact. I ordered "Fire All Weapons" over and over and my attack of 18 blasted him from space. The council had no choice but to declare me the victor and ruler of the Empire. Long live the House of Ja'Den!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Why would a Federation captain leave his ship and take over a Klingon Bird of Prey because he is a good diplomat?


Cowboy Diplomacy. Can you say SS Bounty?

Quote:
2. Since when did Starfleet allow Romulans to serve on their ships?


There have been multiple cases of temporary alliances where Romulans RELUCTANTLY helped the Federation.

Quote:
3. Why would you be on multiple missions at one time (most shows had one main mission and several plot sidelines)?


Every episode was between 1-3 separate stories told at the same time. Intentional or not this aspect of the game mirrors that fact.

Quote:
4. Why would I go to war with my allies?


In this game they are single battles. There were multiple instances in which captains of various races went rogue and a battle insued.

Quote:
5. And for crying out loud why would I fight the Enterprise-D if I myself am a Federation captain?


See #4. There's nothing in the game that says you are a Federation captain either. The back of the box says you're just a captain of a starship; it says nothing of allegiance.

I know this all seems like I'm simply trying to be a foil and I admit part of my motivation is that, however I also understand you want the game to be something more in line with your vision of the Trek universe. I personally feel like it all adds unnecessary complication and would easily add significant play time to the game.

I personally like it as it is.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Quote:
1. Why would a Federation captain leave his ship and take over a Klingon Bird of Prey because he is a good diplomat?


Cowboy Diplomacy. Can you say SS Bounty?

Quote:
2. Since when did Starfleet allow Romulans to serve on their ships?


There have been multiple cases of temporary alliances where Romulans RELUCTANTLY helped the Federation.

Quote:
3. Why would you be on multiple missions at one time (most shows had one main mission and several plot sidelines)?


Every episode was between 1-3 separate stories told at the same time. Intentional or not this aspect of the game mirrors that fact.

Quote:
4. Why would I go to war with my allies?


In this game they are single battles. There were multiple instances in which captains of various races went rogue and a battle insued.

Quote:
5. And for crying out loud why would I fight the Enterprise-D if I myself am a Federation captain?


See #4. There's nothing in the game that says you are a Federation captain either. The back of the box says you're just a captain of a starship; it says nothing of allegiance.

I know this all seems like I'm simply trying to be a foil and I admit part of my motivation is that, however I also understand you want the game to be something more in line with your vision of the Trek universe. I personally feel like it all adds unnecessary complication and would easily add significant play time to the game.

I personally like it as it is.



I like it as it is, too. I just like the option for factional "canon" style play. More options is ALWAYS better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea sounds interesting, has anyone tried it in the standard exploration game?

I wonder though if being locked into a certain faction might make it difficult to aquire new characters (limiting your selection pool) and if your faction's characters don't appear till late in the game, arent you severely handicapped?

Perhaps hiring characters of differing factions could still be done but had an additional cost?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.