Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to put an upgrade aside for a later use, like we can do for discoveries? It could happen when you want to add a second upgrade and you don't have enough energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Ejdesgaard
Denmark
Odense NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the rules you can't, but you could add the rule as a house rule perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be pointless to do so, because you would need to use the upgrade action to apply it to your ship. So why not just leave it in the supply?

Just to check, you know that with the ancient parts you either:
- apply them for free immediately, or
- pay an upgrade action to fit them later

You can't fit an ancient part for free at any time - you need to take the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lessard
Canada
Breakeyville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that pointless because next time you do an upgrade, you will have 3 upgrades to place (if it's possible).

But good point on ancients, i missed that we need to pay an upgrade action to fit them later !

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
jarjar26 wrote:
I don't see that pointless because next time you do an upgrade, you will have 3 upgrades to place (if it's possible).

But good point on ancients, i missed that we need to pay an upgrade action to fit them later !

Thanks !

Well, if you "set aside" the upgrade just like the Ancient Ship part, then the next time you Upgrade you don't get "3 upgrades to place" - you can only ever place two (or three as the Mechanema).

If you allow a player to "stockpile" Upgrade actions, why not let them stockpile Build actions as well? I think it's a bit unnecessary and could make for some weird interactions. Like prebuilding a bunch of ships one round, and then placing them with one action the following around so you have all your discs free to claim hexes that round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
jarjar26 wrote:
Is it possible to put an upgrade aside for a later use, like we can do for discoveries? It could happen when you want to add a second upgrade and you don't have enough energy.

My group normally play with a houserule that you don't have to place the upgrade imediately, as this might push you to place it so that the ship design would become illegal. If you don't place the upgrade immediately, you will have to take an upgrade action at a later point to place it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeZerp wrote:
jarjar26 wrote:

My group normally play with a houserule that you don't have to place the upgrade imediately, as this might push you to place it so that the ship design would become illegal.

Why should this be the case?
You can use all of you upgrade actions but you are not forced to do it. If you just need to upgrade one part you can do it. The normal rules never force you to build illegal ship designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe they want to start designing ships before they get a new power source or something. If you really think about it, why would a temporarily illegal blueprint matter? It should only matter if the ships are built; or, illegal-blueprint ships which ARE built will simply stop functioning until the design is properly powered.

But in terms of the actual rules, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Maybe they want to start designing ships before they get a new power source or something. If you really think about it, why would a temporarily illegal blueprint matter? It should only matter if the ships are built; or, illegal-blueprint ships which ARE built will simply stop functioning until the design is properly powered.

But in terms of the actual rules, no.

In terms of the actual rules (p.13)
Quote:
The following restrictions apply:
• the total Energy Consumption of the Ship’s parts may not be higher than its total Energy Production; and
• Interceptors, Cruisers and Dreadnoughts must have a Drive, Starbases may not have a Drive.

Quite apart from being able to get round things like the need to research better energy sources to power your ships, the idea of setting aside chosen ship parts (and/or illegal ship designs, which amounts to the same thing in practice) would enable players to pre-empt other players' upgrades if certain ship parts are in short supply. Example: there are 8 Tachyon sources (9 energy source); the 'set-aside' house rule would enable a player to upgrade their ship templates with 1 each, and to put 1 or more aside to prevent other players from being able to use them. This is just wrong. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
the 'set-aside' house rule would enable a player to upgrade their ship templates with 1 each, and to put 1 or more aside to prevent other players from being able to use them. This is just wrong. shake

I believe upgrade tiles are not limited to the pieces provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:
the 'set-aside' house rule would enable a player to upgrade their ship templates with 1 each, and to put 1 or more aside to prevent other players from being able to use them. This is just wrong. shake

I believe upgrade tiles are not limited to the pieces provided.

Ah ha, I think you've got me there. Still don't like the idea mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.