Subject: Competitive Play & Map Layout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike ward
United Kingdom
Lancaster
flag msg tools
Hi peeps,

Myself and my gaming group are considering an eclipse mini-tournament but we cannot really decide on setup rules.

We fully understand and accept certain elements are random and to change that would ruin the experience of the game but we want to even the chance out.

should some hex tiles be removed from the draw stacks?
should discovery tiles be VP only?
has anyone run a competition?
are there any semi-official rules for this type of play?

I'm after suggetions for 4 players to start with.

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would play the game as it is as I don't see any sense in removing some hexes or use VP from discovery tiles only. To take the VPs from discovery-tiles is the better choise most of the time anyway.

Perhaps you should take a look in the variants-forum. There are many suggestions about changing the odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I would definitely ban Orion, and ban Planta and Draco too if any games are going to be 3p or even 4p. And no 5p games due to the imbalanced map. In fact, if you want true fairness in a tournament setting, you should really just have everyone be Terran. That's the only way you could eliminate the effects of race strengths and choice order. Mechanema is the only race I would feel comfortable stating as maybe exactly on par with Terran, but it would be stupid to just allow Mechanema.

If you wanted to reduce randomness, you could disable all ancient ship parts (claimable as 2VP only.) The other ones seem fine, at least for Terran. The resource chips are worst when an overpowered race like Orion or Planta claims them on turn 1, amplifying the imbalance inherent in the race. You may also want to exclude supernova hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest to play the game as it is, but use terrans to make it fair for everybody (unless you play several games and give each alien race to each player once). I don't see any problems with the discovery tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.