Subject: Loose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Loose is an elegant tile-flipping territory game inspired by Go.

This thread on a Go website includes diagrams and a sample game:

http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5481
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Loose rule sheet is already available for download:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76273/official-loose-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded a Loose Zillions script. It's also available for download in the Zillions of Games site.

It features all odd-sized boards from 9x9 to 19x19. Zillions plays quite badly, as in most games of this kind, so this is mainly intended to be used for human vs human play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I found the rules interesting to read through and I'm curious about the way the game would work.

I notice, though, that the concept of 'false liberties' makes the game far less intelligible to humans. I think you may have made a couple of mistakes on the game (starting with move 63,64) but I often saw a changed group and it's very difficult to perceive when a group needs to be changed.

I could imagine playing this IRL and really struggling to spot a changed group, noticing only a few moves later (or never). :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezman wrote:
I found the rules interesting to read through and I'm curious about the way the game would work.

Thanks for commenting, Behrooz.

Compared to Go, Loose feels more tactical. Since captures are easier to make but don't necessarily give eyes, making life under pressure often requires even more accurate reading than in Go. Another way to see it is that unsettled groups will be more often under pressure.

(For this reason, my wild guess it that the optimal board size could be a bit larger than in Go. Maybe 21x21. Too early to tell, though.)

Bezman wrote:
I notice, though, that the concept of 'false liberties' makes the game far less intelligible to humans. I think you may have made a couple of mistakes on the game (starting with move 63,64) but I often saw a changed group and it's very difficult to perceive when a group needs to be changed.

I could imagine playing this IRL and really struggling to spot a changed group, noticing only a few moves later (or never). :-/

False liberties may seem a bit hard to spot at first, but they really become second nature after a game or two. Note that false liberties are always single vacancies (i.e. they are never adjacent to other empty points), which make them an easy visual target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded a sample 11x11 Loose game in PDF format, with full board pictures for all moves. You can use the full-screen option of your PDF reader to view the game record as a series of snapshots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.