Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
112 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Mildly embarressing moment for Dawkins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this piece amusing. I'd not take it too seriously although i agree with the opinion expressed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://neitshade.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/in-defence-of-dawk... your link is just to the Beebs front page.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
http://neitshade.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/in-defence-of-dawk... your link is just to the Beebs front page.

As I said in the OP, I'd not take the incident itself too seriously, and I think the most this moment could be called is "mildly embarressing"-- as the blog you linked to also says.

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
http://neitshade.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/in-defence-of-dawk... your link is just to the Beebs front page.

As I said in the OP, I'd not take the incident itself too seriously, and I think the most this moment could be called is "mildly embarressing"-- as the blog you linked to also says.

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


Well without knowing what you agree with its hard to judge anything about this, beyond that fact that Dawkins could not remeber the tile of a book that is not a bible. As to his bigotry, why is he a bigot?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
http://neitshade.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/in-defence-of-dawk... your link is just to the Beebs front page.

As I said in the OP, I'd not take the incident itself too seriously, and I think the most this moment could be called is "mildly embarressing"-- as the blog you linked to also says.

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


Well without knowing what you agree with its hard to judge anything about this, beyond that fact that Dawkins could not remeber the tile of a book that is not a bible. As to his bigotry, why is he a bigot?

I don't know why he chooses to be a bigot; it's not something I really understand. One hopes that the sound-bites that make the news etc are taking him out of context but he went into the same mental bin as Pat Robertson ages ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
http://neitshade.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/in-defence-of-dawk... your link is just to the Beebs front page.

As I said in the OP, I'd not take the incident itself too seriously, and I think the most this moment could be called is "mildly embarressing"-- as the blog you linked to also says.

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


Well without knowing what you agree with its hard to judge anything about this, beyond that fact that Dawkins could not remeber the tile of a book that is not a bible. As to his bigotry, why is he a bigot?

I don't know why he chooses to be a bigot; it's not something I really understand. One hopes that the sound-bites that make the news etc are taking him out of context but he went into the same mental bin as Pat Robertson ages ago.


OK I'll rephrase the question, what is he he does that yu think is bigoted.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh? He forgot the full title of Origin of Species and people are making a big deal of it? It doesn't sound like it's mildly embarrassing for Dawkins here. More like the morons making a big deal of nothing.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard


I'll ask the question that Steven meant to ask, but in a manner more fitting to a literal interpretation.

Why do you perceive that Dawkins is a bigoted blowhard?

I've come to the conclusion that he has an arrogance bordering on blowhardedness, so I'll grant you that to an extent. But I've never seen a whiff of bigotry. I've never met the man, though. Perhaps you have some personal experience you would like to share?

Edit: Steven types much faster than I do. So feel free to answer just one of us if you are of a mind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard


I'll ask the question that Steve meant to ask, but in a manner more fitting to a literal interpretation.

Why do you perceive that Dawkins is a bigoted blowhard?

I've come to the conclusion that he has an arrogance bordering on blowhardedness, so I'll grant you that to an extent. But I've never seen a whiff of bigotry. I've never met the man, though. Perhaps you have some personal experience you would like to share?

His blanket statements about religious people and general dismissal of them as a group-- again at least as seen in sound-bites on the news (on-line) over the past several years.

He doesn't exactly come across as a paragon of tolerance and virtue.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Huh? He forgot the full title of Origin of Species and people are making a big deal of it? It doesn't sound like it's mildly embarrassing for Dawkins here. More like the morons making a big deal of nothing.

The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview. It could happen to anyone and seems to me no more indicative of anything abotu Dawkins than if the man tripped on his way down a red carpet at a formal ceremony-- hence the phrase "mildly amusing". Admittedly, if he came off as less pompous, it would have been less amusing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


I've met him, and I found him to be polite, respectful, and interesting. Even to the Christians in the room where we were having a roundtable discussion. He didn't show the slightest hint of "bigotry" when addressing their questions or concerns. So, I'm not really sure what you're basing your opinions on.

Writing books that portray religion in a negative light isn't bigotry.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
quozl wrote:
Huh? He forgot the full title of Origin of Species and people are making a big deal of it? It doesn't sound like it's mildly embarrassing for Dawkins here. More like the morons making a big deal of nothing.

The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview. It could happen to anyone and seems to me no more indicative of anything abotu Dawkins than if the man tripped on his way down a red carpet at a formal ceremony-- hence the phrase "mildly amusing". Admittedly, if he came off as less pompous, it would have been less amusing.


You said you agreed with the opionion expressed, what opinion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard


I'll ask the question that Steve meant to ask, but in a manner more fitting to a literal interpretation.

Why do you perceive that Dawkins is a bigoted blowhard?

I've come to the conclusion that he has an arrogance bordering on blowhardedness, so I'll grant you that to an extent. But I've never seen a whiff of bigotry. I've never met the man, though. Perhaps you have some personal experience you would like to share?

His blanket statements about religious people and general dismissal of them as a group-- again at least as seen in sound-bites on the news (on-line) over the past several years.

He doesn't exactly come across as a paragon of tolerance and virtue.


Can you provide a few examples please?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
His blanket statements about religious people and general dismissal of them as a group


I've seen him dismiss religious thinking and make blanket statements against religion, but have never seen him do so to a particular person or group. Or is it equivalent in your mind that action against a view is action against one who holds the view?

Again, I have limited exposure to the man. Maybe I'm missing something.

edit: stoopid typos...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview.


No, that's not what I got from the bruhaha surrounding this. The "embarrassment" that some are trying to assign to him is that he cannot remember the full and correct title for The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy. They're equating The Origin Of The Species with the Torah, Bible and Koran, all rolled into one. If he can't remember the name of the The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy, how can we trust what the man says?

Forgetting, of course, that Origin is nothing of the sort. Darwin had some very impressive, ground breaking ideas, but many of them were found to be not wholly accurate. The book is important for opening up an entire new field of science, is an *excellent* starting point for study in the field, but much of it has been replaced with better explanations.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


I've met him, and I found him to be polite, respectful, and interesting. Even to the Christians in the room where we were having a roundtable discussion. He didn't show the slightest hint of "bigotry" when addressing their questions or concerns. So, I'm not really sure what you're basing your opinions on.

Writing books that portray religion in a negative light isn't bigotry.

In one company I've worked for, the boss was a bigot-- out and out-- against Indians/Pakistanis, against black people, you name it-- although ironically he wasn't so white himself. Yet he was very polite to them in front of their faces and even had a black man as an employee. Yet he still regularly expressed bigoted attitudes when not in their presence.

I've not met Dawkins and have no doubt he'd be polite if we ended up somehow in a common social venue. What's your point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview.


No, that's not what I got from the bruhaha surrounding this. The "embarrassment" that some are trying to assign to him is that he cannot remember the full and correct title for The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy. They're equating The Origin Of The Species with the Torah, Bible and Koran, all rolled into one. If he can't remember the name of the The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy, how can we trust what the man says?

Forgetting, of course, that Origin is nothing of the sort. Darwin had some very impressive, ground breaking ideas, but many of them were found to be not wholly accurate. The book is important for opening up an entire new field of science, is an *excellent* starting point for study in the field, but much of it has been replaced with better explanations.

If however you actually bother reading the OP, you'll see I don't think it was a big deal. Thus I don't really care what people are spouting off about because, as I stated, the only think for Dawkins to be embarressed about in this incident was the minor incident of drawing a blank during an interview.

Feel free to refute views I've not expressed all you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


I've met him, and I found him to be polite, respectful, and interesting. Even to the Christians in the room where we were having a roundtable discussion. He didn't show the slightest hint of "bigotry" when addressing their questions or concerns. So, I'm not really sure what you're basing your opinions on.

Writing books that portray religion in a negative light isn't bigotry.

In one company I've worked for, the boss was a bigot-- out and out-- against Indians/Pakistanis, against black people, you name it-- although ironically he wasn't so white himself. Yet he was very polite to them in front of their faces and even had a black man as an employee. Yet he still regularly expressed bigoted attitudes when not in their presence.

I've not met Dawkins and have no doubt he'd be polite if we ended up somehow in a common social venue. What's your point?


So you are basing your view of his bigotry on what, something he has not said in public? Can you please provide a bit more thn ust your opinion?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
His blanket statements about religious people and general dismissal of them as a group


I've seen him dismiss religious thinking and make blanket statements against religion, but have never seen him do so to a particular person or group. Or is it equivalent in your mind that action against a view is action against one who holds the view?

Again, I have limited exposure to the man. Maybe I'm missing something.

edit: stoopid typos...

At least in clips on-line I've heard, he appears to dismiss religious people as stupid and superstitious.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview.


No, that's not what I got from the bruhaha surrounding this. The "embarrassment" that some are trying to assign to him is that he cannot remember the full and correct title for The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy. They're equating The Origin Of The Species with the Torah, Bible and Koran, all rolled into one. If he can't remember the name of the The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy, how can we trust what the man says?

Forgetting, of course, that Origin is nothing of the sort. Darwin had some very impressive, ground breaking ideas, but many of them were found to be not wholly accurate. The book is important for opening up an entire new field of science, is an *excellent* starting point for study in the field, but much of it has been replaced with better explanations.

If however you actually bother reading the OP, you'll see I don't think it was a big deal. Thus I don't really care what people are spouting off about because, as I stated, the only think for Dawkins to be embarressed about in this incident was the minor incident of drawing a blank during an interview.

Feel free to refute views I've not expressed all you want.


In the OP you also say you agree with the opinion expressed, but we still do not know what that opinion is.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
His blanket statements about religious people and general dismissal of them as a group


I've seen him dismiss religious thinking and make blanket statements against religion, but have never seen him do so to a particular person or group. Or is it equivalent in your mind that action against a view is action against one who holds the view?

Again, I have limited exposure to the man. Maybe I'm missing something.

edit: stoopid typos...

At least in clips on-line I've heard, he appears to dismiss religious people as stupid and superstitious.


What he says that religious people are stupid and superstitious, or their beleifes are?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


I've met him, and I found him to be polite, respectful, and interesting. Even to the Christians in the room where we were having a roundtable discussion. He didn't show the slightest hint of "bigotry" when addressing their questions or concerns. So, I'm not really sure what you're basing your opinions on.

Writing books that portray religion in a negative light isn't bigotry.

In one company I've worked for, the boss was a bigot-- out and out-- against Indians/Pakistanis, against black people, you name it-- although ironically he wasn't so white himself. Yet he was very polite to them in front of their faces and even had a black man as an employee. Yet he still regularly expressed bigoted attitudes when not in their presence.

I've not met Dawkins and have no doubt he'd be polite if we ended up somehow in a common social venue. What's your point?


So you are basing your view i his bigotry on what, something he has not said in public? Can you please provide a bit more thn ust your opinion?

Oh please. Do I really need to explain to you the difference of social venues?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That Dawkins appears to be a bigoted blowhard who just happens to be an atheist and apparently feels he should get away with it because he's the Un-prophet of the true Un-faith or some such nonsense, this I agree with.


I've met him, and I found him to be polite, respectful, and interesting. Even to the Christians in the room where we were having a roundtable discussion. He didn't show the slightest hint of "bigotry" when addressing their questions or concerns. So, I'm not really sure what you're basing your opinions on.

Writing books that portray religion in a negative light isn't bigotry.

In one company I've worked for, the boss was a bigot-- out and out-- against Indians/Pakistanis, against black people, you name it-- although ironically he wasn't so white himself. Yet he was very polite to them in front of their faces and even had a black man as an employee. Yet he still regularly expressed bigoted attitudes when not in their presence.

I've not met Dawkins and have no doubt he'd be polite if we ended up somehow in a common social venue. What's your point?


So you are basing your view i his bigotry on what, something he has not said in public? Can you please provide a bit more thn ust your opinion?

Oh please. Do I really need to explain to you the difference of social venues?


Sorry if I took what you said litteraly, shall we agree to not play such games in future?
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview.


No, that's not what I got from the bruhaha surrounding this. The "embarrassment" that some are trying to assign to him is that he cannot remember the full and correct title for The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy. They're equating The Origin Of The Species with the Torah, Bible and Koran, all rolled into one. If he can't remember the name of the The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy, how can we trust what the man says?

Forgetting, of course, that Origin is nothing of the sort. Darwin had some very impressive, ground breaking ideas, but many of them were found to be not wholly accurate. The book is important for opening up an entire new field of science, is an *excellent* starting point for study in the field, but much of it has been replaced with better explanations.

If however you actually bother reading the OP, you'll see I don't think it was a big deal. Thus I don't really care what people are spouting off about because, as I stated, the only think for Dawkins to be embarressed about in this incident was the minor incident of drawing a blank during an interview.

Feel free to refute views I've not expressed all you want.


In the OP you also say you agree with the opinion expressed, but we still do not know what that opinion is.

Read the blasted editorial then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Meat wrote:
whac3 wrote:
The minor embarressment was just drawing a blank when questioned in a radio interview.


No, that's not what I got from the bruhaha surrounding this. The "embarrassment" that some are trying to assign to him is that he cannot remember the full and correct title for The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy. They're equating The Origin Of The Species with the Torah, Bible and Koran, all rolled into one. If he can't remember the name of the The Most Important Book that shapes his personal philosophy, how can we trust what the man says?

Forgetting, of course, that Origin is nothing of the sort. Darwin had some very impressive, ground breaking ideas, but many of them were found to be not wholly accurate. The book is important for opening up an entire new field of science, is an *excellent* starting point for study in the field, but much of it has been replaced with better explanations.

If however you actually bother reading the OP, you'll see I don't think it was a big deal. Thus I don't really care what people are spouting off about because, as I stated, the only think for Dawkins to be embarressed about in this incident was the minor incident of drawing a blank during an interview.

Feel free to refute views I've not expressed all you want.


In the OP you also say you agree with the opinion expressed, but we still do not know what that opinion is.

Read the blasted editorial then.


If you provide a link to the editorial rather then the BBC news front page I will. Do you mean this http://www.theweek.co.uk/health-science/45324/oh-god-dawkins...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.