Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have the option to trash a card with, say, Bishop, can a Curse be the card you trash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilson wrote:
When you have the option to trash a card with, say, Bishop, can a Curse be the card you trash?

Of course. Curse is a card, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
To further answer this question, you can trash any and every card in your deck. This is what makes cards like Chapel and Steward so powerful. The ability to trash the cards that aren't good for your deck is probably the most-played strategy there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much! There was some debate, but this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It also bears mention that Curses have a cost of 0. Which is relevant in that you can use a card like Remodel (trash a card and gain a card costing up to 2 more) on a Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
thatmarkguy wrote:
It also bears mention that Curses have a cost of 0. Which is relevant in that you can use a card like Remodel (trash a card and gain a card costing up to 2 more) on a Curse.

This also means you can buy a curse, which in rare scenarios can actually help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
Abso-freakin-lutely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Dominion is a very simple game; if a rule isn't written, it probably doesn't exist. If there's nothing saying Curses are magically immune to being trashed, then Curses can be trashed just like everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:
Bilson wrote:

Of course. Curse is a card, after all.

Yup, of course u can trash a curse card and u should trash one if u have it in your hand.

Same goes for Remodeling a curse to a cost 2 card either a 1 VP or other more useful card if still early in the game.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Buy Ambassador
Step 2: Buy Curse
Step 3: Ambassador Curse
Step 4: Laugh like a nut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
xia0dingdang wrote:
Yup, of course u can trash a curse card and u should trash one if u have it in your hand.

Same goes for Remodeling a curse to a cost 2 card either a 1 VP or other more useful card if still early in the game.....

Actually, there are a few cases where you shouldn't necessarily trash a Curse card if it is in your hand. The biggest ones that stand out are the following:

-Gardens (Base Set) - if you know the exact card count of your deck, you might want to keep the Curse to ensure the 1 extra VP per Garden

-Fairgrounds (Cornucopia) - you might want to keep the curse for the variety requirement to boost Fairgrounds' VP value

-Ambassador (Seaside) - you might not want to trash your Curses so that you can just pass them back to your opponents

-Philosopher's Stone (Alchemy) - the Curse will help boost the value of Philosopher's Stone. And if you are playing with trashing cards and Philosopher's Stones in your deck, you might want to rethink your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
And if you are playing with trashing cards and Philosopher's Stones in your deck, you might want to rethink your strategy.

While that may be true of pure trashers like Steward, trash-for-profit cards like Remodel that don't affect your deck size don't conflict with Philosopher's Stone (on the contrary, they replace a card in your hand with a card in your discard pile, which sometimes makes Philosopher's Stone stronger), and that's to say nothing of Trader, which Philosopher's Stone adores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
salty53 wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
And if you are playing with trashing cards and Philosopher's Stones in your deck, you might want to rethink your strategy.

While that may be true of pure trashers like Steward, trash-for-profit cards like Remodel that don't affect your deck size don't conflict with Philosopher's Stone (on the contrary, they replace a card in your hand with a card in your discard pile, which sometimes makes Philosopher's Stone stronger), and that's to say nothing of Trader, which Philosopher's Stone adores.

Of course there are exceptions for every generalized statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
Of course there are exceptions for every generalized statement.

That's true, but I think trash-for-profit cards are a large enough subset of trashers (about a third, if I recall correctly) that they're too prominent to ignore when making a general statement about trashers. It's like saying "Attacks only affect your opponents' future turns, not their current turn" and then saying Militia, Minion, Ghost Ship, and so on are an exception (since that statement is true of roughly two-thirds of Attacks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to back Salty (shocker, innit?) but also refute the claim that you shouldn't trash while using Philosopher's Stones. Trash is trash. If you are keeping 7 weak Coppers to make 1-2 decent Philospher's Stones, you are already playing like a nut. You are basically demanding that your Stones work harder to make up for the weakness of your average card. If you had 3 Silvers instead of 7 Coppers, your Stones might all be 1 coin less but your other Treasures are all 1 coin more. And you get to your other, more important, cards more frequently.

Advantage: Trashing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those questions that makes me puzzle about the frame of mind that could possibly have produced it. I'd be genuinely interested to hear about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kern
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
timstellmach wrote:
This is one of those questions that makes me puzzle about the frame of mind that could possibly have produced it. I'd be genuinely interested to hear about that.

I think these kinds of questions come from people who maybe are not used to CCG or deck building games, and thus not used to the precise rules of the instruction booklet. They tend to be puzzled by things that don't seem to "make sense" even if there's no rule against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:

"You were cursed. You shouldn't just be able to get rid of it.

I mean, I only had one buy and spent it on that curse to put in your deck, giving up the chance to grab a copper."

How's that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matrav
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Gilby wrote:

I mean, I only had one buy and spent it on that curse to put in your deck, giving up the chance to grab a copper."

Just to avoid confusion for any new players reading this forum, He's kidding (I hope). If you buy a curse it goes into YOUR discard pile, not your opponent's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matrav wrote:
Gilby wrote:

Just to avoid confusion for any new players reading this forum, He's kidding (I hope). If you buy a curse it goes into YOUR discard pile, not your opponent's.

And you should never pass up the chance to buy a copper. I thought that was enough to make it clear it was humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.