Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of my gaming friends don't enjoy logging and pre-plotting games generaly. I guess it is a bit tedious these days.

In order to do away with the log sheet and speed up play (always well received in our group!), I came up with the following:

1. Use poker chips for ducats and then use the ducats track and markers for recording victory points.

2. I used a spare set of number chits (actualy from an old Blackbeard game) to record the shifting native values on the board. I also used these to track the monarch numerical values in the European port boxes to calculate initiative easier.

3. Once the player order was set, I handed out playing card reminders (ace to four) to each player.

4. After purchasing units, there is no written pre-planned naval movement. When a player takes a naval turn, just place your expeditions where you want to and place a number chit on top of the expedition stack to mark the number of bounds used, then pay for them. After that, any hemishperic movement is done and the numerical chits are added or updated, pay for any new bounds. Then roll for naval attrition.

5. In the Final naval phase, do the same as (4) but without hemispheric movement.

Even though this changes the way things are done, we have found that it doesn't effect play balance significantly and is much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keywood Cheves
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your advice in this game and Bodyguard/Overlord! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these ideas, going to steal them and test them out next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used this rule today in my game. Cut at least 10 minutes off every turn (went from 50~45m per turn to about 35m per turn for a four-player game). Thank you :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.