Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Timmons
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. Quick question on a situation that arose last night in our Runewars game. One of the players went to a city with his hero and used the "Rune of Teleportation" Reward card to summon units to that area. The card states that after you activate the new area, you can move units to the new area from "any area". He took this to mean that he could move units there from his already "activated" areas as well. The rulebook states that you may "never move out of an activated area except to retreat". Because we couldn't find anything online and the card said "any area", we let him do it to keep the game moving.

Did we play this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I understand that the rule can not be overriden by the card. So, the text would refer to any legal area, any unactivated area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The "any area" is just referring to distance. If it allowed you to move them from activated areas, it would say "even if activated".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NOTE however, that there is a tactics card which lets you lift an activation token, which WOULD allow for clever use of the teleportation rune in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Timmons
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. This was my ruling as well...but I got outvoted, but with all my timing playing games like Descent and TI3 I was pretty adamant that moving from activated sections broke the spirit of the rules. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zendracan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The "any area" is just referring to distance.

Is there an official source which backs up this claim? No offense, I was just wondering because I didn't find anything in the FAQ or Corey's answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, meant to reply to this earlier.

I can get official clarification if you want, but I'm 99.9% confident in this answer. Basically, if a rule says you can't do something, then only a card that specifically says you CAN do that thing would override it. In this case, saying "any area" is not specifically referring to overriding the "can't move out of active areas" rule.

I'll post when I get confirmation.

EDIT, also, for what it's worth, I think the topic of this thread is actually referring to the Rune of Summoning. The Rune of Teleportation lets you move a Hero during the Quest Phase, and Heroes aren't blocked by activated areas anyway. Rune of Summoning moves units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the response I got.

MY QUESTION
The Rune of Summoning says "If in an empty area during your turn, you may discard this card to activate this area and move any of your units to this area from any area(s)." My interpretation of this card is that it was meant only to allow you to move regardless of distance. Other restrictions would still apply. For instance, units in activated areas would still be prohibited from moving, as would routed units. Is this interpretation correct, or was the intent to allow even activated/routed units to move with this Reward?

COREY'S ANSWER
Correct. The point of this card is to allow you to move any distance across the map, but it does not allow you to break other restrictions (such as activated areas and routed areas).

I'll add this to the next version of the document (hopefully soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.