Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the game with the kid yesterday, and we loved it.
Now, my son (12y.o.) learnt to love LoTR from the movies; while he's an avid reader, he still think that the book is too much for now.
What i'd like to do is to place the quests of the game and expansions on the Middle Earth map and on the timeline, to give to the kid a deeper feel of "adventuring" and a "place" in the history.

Fact is that, while i've read the book and watched the movies at least twice, i'm not that kind of person that remember everything, so i can't do it.
I'm sure that there's a lot of Tolkien fans here that can do this without any efforts 'cause they know everything....

So, there's someone that will like to help in doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe your son would be interested in reading some of the stories from Unfinished Tales. The last two sections fill in gaps that exist in the Lord of the Rings. Some of the stories add context to both the book and the movies. Unfinished Tales isn't nearly as daunting as LotR and since it adds context and new information, your son might be more interested in reading it. The first two sections can serve as a gateway to reading the Silmarillion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The timespan is in the years between Bilbo's Birthday and the day that Frodo leaves the shire (this is not clearly shown in the movie, its the montage where Gandalf rides to the White City to research the one ring. It is also the period where Strider / Aragorn is hunting Gollum in the area around the Anduin Valley.
The last part is mostly what the players are doing in the first Cycle of the LoTR LCG game, which is located in and around Mirkwood forest, the great old forest to the East of the Anduin Valley and Northwest of the Dead Marshes.
The second cycle now starts with the players visiting Moria, much like the Fellowship will visit it years later (it seems to be pretty much the same events as in the movie actually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:

Now, my son (12y.o.) learnt to love LoTR from the movies; while he's an avid reader, he still think that the book is too much for now.

I was reading things like LotR and Asimov's Foundation at that age, many times with a dictionary sitting beside me. Might be worth it to let your son try, I found challenging reading enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
parduz wrote:

I was reading things like LotR and Asimov's Foundation at that age, many times with a dictionary sitting beside me. Might be worth it to let your son try, I found challenging reading enjoyable.

I read it aloud to my 6 and 4 year olds this year. It took 3 months of reading every night before bed, but they loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
parduz wrote:

I'll let him read it when he feel's right
My sons are good readers, and the kid have read the Potter and Eragon cycles three or four times. I know they're not the same meat of LoTR, but me too, at that age, i've read the Dragonlance saga and i'm still here
The fact that they like to read and WANTS to have time to do it is a great thing and what me and my wife do is just suggesting some title between the lot we already have without "forcing" too much.

Back on topic, thanks Nico... i'll try to build a "minimap" and then i'll post it here for suggestions and corrections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, have i placed the quest icons on the right places?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
@ Fabio Calzolari

seems right, although I don't think Passgae Through Mirkwood happened at the Old Forest Road.

Old Forest Road is used by orcs at that time so it is likely that heroes traveled by hidden elven path that is somewhat east of Thranduil's Hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Darksbane wrote:
parduz wrote:

I read it aloud to my 6 and 4 year olds this year. It took 3 months of reading every night before bed, but they loved it.

My mother read this to my brother and I when we were about that age. We both fell in love with the book and have read it many times since.

I'm planning to read it aloud to my daughter when she's old enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
@ Fabio Calzolari

seems right, although I don't think Passgae Through Mirkwood happened at the Old Forest Road.

Old Forest Road is used by orcs at that time so it is likely that heroes traveled by hidden elven path that is somewhat east of Thranduil's Hall.

Thanks! This is the support i'm asking for

But.... i don't know nothing about that path, so, could this image be correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
parduz wrote:

Same here as did many of my friends. Like any great work you take away different things reading it at different times of your life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to find original Hobbit "There and back again" book. There is better picture of Mirkwood in that book and that elf path is allso easier to find from that map. I only have that in Finnish, so it would not be very usefull to you.
But in anyway Elf path starts from the west side of the forest. Near the plase where forest turn to the right (west) (in your map a little bit north of Carrock and ends up near the Halls of Elf king (wood elves in your map)

The same map can allso be found from:
http://www.vhinkle.com/lit/hobbit.html

The map of Wilderland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the Elf Path would make sense but the scenario does start with the Old Forest Road in play so maybe they did take the more dangerous road, at least at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible. The old forest road did become more dangerous by the time... The problem is that the east past of the old forest road did disapper to swamps even at the time of Bilbos journey (and was swarming with the orcs). That was the reason they did pick up the elfpath.

But this LOTR lcg journey is different one so there may be different predictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's the general timeline and where the cycles fit as I understand it:

*Sauron creates the ring but is defeated by the last alliance of elves and men*

*The Nazgul capture now-called Minas Morgul*

*Sauron regains some of his power and takes residence in Dol Guldur*

Core Set? (Dol Guldur is controlled by the enemy so it's either now or just before the events of LotR. It couls also be after Shadows of Mirkwood with the message to Galladriel being: watch out for hunters from Mordor!)

The Hobbit Saga/ Battle of Lake Town (Events of the Hobbit)

Against the Shadow /Massing at Osgiliath (Because Boromir looks younger on this saga's hero card and he's commanding Gondor's forces against Mordor. Also neither him nor the Witch King have left for Rivendel/the Shire yet.)

Dwarrowdelf (After the Hobbit because they search for Balin's tomb but before LotR because the Balrog is alive and well.)

*Start of the book/movie Lord of the Rings, Bilbo gives the Ring to Frodo*

Shadows of Mirkwood (The goal is to capture Gollum which Gandalf requested after Frodo gets the Ring and because Gandalf is on a quest to discover if it is THE Ring.)

The Lord of the Rings saga

Most quests seem to be between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Which makes sense because characters who age quickly (like Eowyn, Theodred etc.) would only be available during that time. You can still have Bard the Bowman AND his grandson at the same time or search for Balin's tomb WITH Balin himself in your party so take everything with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old thread but can't believe nobody has linked

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/lore-lord-of-the...

yet.

Too bad the card links still don't work but it still pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.