Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I just bought the game and have to try it the first time.

From time to time I read about geeks building their own decks of cards for the game. So I'm a little bit irritated if I can play the game with the decks as they are included in the core set.

And how about if I would like to buy some of the expansions? Can I simply add the additional cards to the decks from the core set or must I choose with which of the cards I would like to play (hopefully not)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to deckbuild, get the core set, and use the 4 decks, without taking them apart.
they are fine (not overly balanced, though)

If you buy expansions, I suggest to get the big boxes (Lords of winter, Queen of Dragons, Kings of storm, and the new Lords of Granite) for the 4 included houses, respectively Stark, Targaryen, Baratheon and Lannister.

Though, if you get these, it will be VERY hard not to deck build, at least folling the 2 decks suggested within these boxes.

I am not that informed about small expansions, though I know that some are very good, some others, heve few good cards.

either way, if you want expansions, you'll need to deck build.
If you don't want to deck build, don't bother with the expansions, as the core set is enough, IMO.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core set includes four pre-built, balanced decks. It's designed to be playable out of the box with no tweaking.

If you buy the big-box, house-specific expansions, they include suggested decks--listing all the cards you would include in such a set. For example, the Targaryen box suggests a Dragon deck, using Core and expansion cards.

If you buy the chapter pack expansions, you are on your own to include those cards within the specific decks you'd like.

Note: the Greyjoy box doesn't include decklists, and I don't think the Martell box does either. However, decklists for those houses are also fairly easy to find here on BGG or elsewhere online.

I recommend playing the Core as is; it seems to suit your needs just fine to start. If you expand, go for a big box or two, then go from there as you have interest. Once you get some experience, building a deck will be fairly easy to do. It's not as tricky to get synergy as some games, so if you're playing with a routine home group, I think you'll find deckbuilding easily achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
and the new Lords of Granite)

heh, I think you mean Lions of the Rock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Ikim wrote:

...or did he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Ikim wrote:

Yes, that... In Italian, it's called Granite... But u got what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.