Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a few months since last I brought in Merchants and Marauders, and some of my friends had been wondering where it went. So last Saturday, Rich, Josh and I were able sit down and play a three-handed game of my favourite pirate game.

There's a word that D&D players use to describe a certain type of game where you can choose the path you take; that word is "sandbox". M&M really feels like a sandbox game to me - you've got a captain and a ship, and from there it's up to use where you go.

I (playing green) drew Yu Quan as my starting captain and immediately had a problem: though Yu Quan is great at scouting, he's not so good one the Seamanship rolls need to be made. I thus resolved to be a merchant to begin with, work my way up to a bigger ship, and then possibly go pirate once I had a frigate, depending on how the game was going.

Rich (red) drew Christian Marquis and Josh (yellow) drew Thomas Nelson, and both decided to begin, like me, with the merchant way. Soon, we were off and sailing the blue waters of the Caribbean. Initial storms made the waters less blue and gave Rich a very handy lead as Christian Marquis ignores the effects of storms.

Then came the war between the Dutch and the English. Both Josh and I were badly affected by this, having cargos that could only be delivered to Dutch ports. Luckily, the Dutch naval ship was nowhere in sight; indeed, we had an initial round of events that offered clemency for the non-existent pirates, and offered stern justice for those self-same non-existent pirates!

Rich, meanwhile, was getting some good cargoes delivered and opened up an early lead. By choosing my ports carefully, I was able to reel that in and by buying a new ship, actually take the lead by a glory point. Josh, playing only his second game, struggled a lot more. His captain had a fantastic (4) influence, but all of the rumours he drew needed scouting... which at 1, was extremely unlikely.

Then the naval ships and pirates started coming out, and the board began to look interesting!

War ended, but after a couple of turn of peace (where I finally managed to deliver a load of cloth), War began again... between the Dutch and English once more, and my new cargo was worthless again.

The second half of the game was mostly a race between Rich and me to see who could get enough wealth first. Rich upgraded his ship and made some very, very valuable deliveries; meanwhile, I made my way to Cartagena to pick up a mission - "Kill the Pirate Scum" - and from there I found the Pirate Sloop captained by Olivier La Bouche and sunk it - mostly by using chain shot to shoot down his mast in the first round of combat!

The combination of two glory points gained there pushed me well ahead of Rich, but I still wasn't there: I needed to return to my home port and stash my treasure!

I was sure Rich was just ahead of me, but though it took me two turns it took to return to my home port, he wasn't quite able to sell cargo and make his way home with the gold for his stash. The game ended with him - as it turned out - two turns away from reaching his goal of 10 glory.

Final Scores:
Merric - 10 - 7 glory, 30 gold in stash
Rich - 7 - 5 glory, 20 gold in stash (and more aboard)
Josh - 2 - 2 glory

The game took us slightly over an hour to play (about 70 minutes), demonstrating that once you know the game, it actually plays really quickly. Of course, we only had one combat during the game, as they add to the game length. (I believe the game lasted 17 turns).

I doubt it'll be that long before it hits the table again, as it is definitely one of our favourite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice

Christian Marquis told me, to tell you, that he wants to raid, plunder, kill, mame and drik. Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report but...

Quote:
Initial storms made the waters less blue and gave Rich a very handy lead as Thomas Nelson ignores the effects of storms.

Shouldn't that be Christian Marquis? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
Nice report but...

Quote:
Initial storms made the waters less blue and gave Rich a very handy lead as Thomas Nelson ignores the effects of storms.

Shouldn't that be Christian Marquis? arrrh

Quite right. Reversed the name there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Nice report. I find Yu Quan to make a good pirate though, as you can make up for his lack of seamanship with special weapons.

One of the worst parts of a pirate's life is not being able to find a ship to raid and Yu Quan has no problems with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.