Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Romney
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved to Upper Darby, PA (zip code 19082). Does anyone know of any game stores here about? I'm pretty close to Philadelphia proper, so any game stores in the big city would also work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Foster
United States
Mount Laurel
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best place I know of in the Philly area is The Compleat STrategist up in King of Prussia.....that's a bit of a ride up 476 from where you are though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to philly(or uppper darby (if you previously lived in the area already). I live in Upper Darby township but really in Lansdowne area. If you are interested in gaming come to penngamers at Univ. of Penn. http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~pgamers/

As for stores, there aren't many in the city that I know of. The only one sort of near is what the last poster said COmpleat Strategist near king of prussia. there is another one in NJ if you take Patco there, not sure about the name though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Romney
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the welcome! To answer your question: this is the first time I have ever lived in Philadelphia. I actually just moved here from Salt Lake City, so it was a bit of a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ya big more, across the country. so now you could order form gamesurplus and have second day shipping for the price of ground here. =) Or drive to lancaster to pick up.

anyway, if you want to attend gaming group, there is Penngamers(everywheek on Wed) like I said, and there is EPGS(every other week on Sat in Oxford Valley mall, kinda far), www.epgs.org.

unfortunately, no FLGS in the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not too far from my local store. 'All Things Fun!' It's in NJ over the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. I could get from there to Philly itself in 45min. or less. If you end up there, please tell them that the Commodore sent you. It may mean some brownie points for me!

www.allthingsfun.net

All Things Fun!
185 C Route 73 North
Berlin, NJ 08091

Phone: (856)719-1414
Fax: (856)719-1575
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big C
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
There is a game store in Manayunk:

Why be Board?
4339 Main Street
Manayunk, PA
215-483-8800

And also one in Conshohocken:

Roundtable Games
515 Fayette Street
Conshohocken, PA 19428
610-825-6120

The one in Conshocken hosts a game night on Wednesdays at 7pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to ROundtable, they don't have much euro games though.
I forgot about another game store in Newark, DE, it is Days of Knights. It has a great selection and best yet, no tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Romney
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info. I'll have to figure out how to get to some of the more distant stores after I figure our how to navigate around my neighborhood. Luckily, I'm relatively familiar with the King of Prussia area so I may be visiting the store there fairly soon. (Unfortuantely, after finishing all the work on my house, there probably won't be any moneys left over for games. shake )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Csteb wrote:
There is a game store in Manayunk:

Why be Board?
4339 Main Street
Manayunk, PA
215-483-8800

And also one in Conshohocken:

Roundtable Games
515 Fayette Street
Conshohocken, PA 19428
610-825-6120

The one in Conshocken hosts a game night on Wednesdays at 7pm

why be bored moved to Collingswood, NJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about 18-20 miles from Upper Darby but there is a good game store in Abington. I think it is like 30 minutes or so from you. There is an exellent selection of games and the owner/operator will special order anything he doesn't have.

The address is:
1562 Easton Road
Roslyn, PA 19001
Phone: 215-657-9550
Fax: 215-657-9551
WEB http://www.abingtongh.com/

I can't say enough good things about this little shop. It's close to the Willow Grove Mall, only a few blocks away.

Welcome to the Area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Stores near Upper Darby
There is a Hobby Town, USA over on Baltimore Pike in Springfield.

Showcase comics near Sears in the granet run mall has a reasonable selection. Go out route 1 or Baltimore Pike past where they merge.

Between Books down in Claymont, DE is also worth a visit.

Alternate Universes has a location on MacDade Blvd, just a few blocks from Nifty Fifties.

edit- updated Oct 2010

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Monahan
msg tools
As an update to anyone who's interested, Showcase Comics sells role-playing game kits and sourcebooks for a variety of different interests. There are currently two locations in Delaware County, PA. The one that was in the Granite Run Mall moved out several months ago. It's now located in Swathemore, PA on Route 320. It's close to the Goodwill Store, also on Route 320. The second location is in Bryn Mawr, PA, on Route 30. This one is near the Erin Pub, a popular watering hole. The Swathemore location has a good sized parking lot on site, while the Bryn Mawr location has a couple of metered parking lots close by. Note: There is no charge for using the public lots on Sunday, and the store opens by 11:00AM. Hope this update helps. Ciao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Holmquist
United States
Oreland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Philadelphia. I moved here about 10 years ago and love it here. My favorite local game stores are:

7th Dimension Games
491 York Road
Jenkintown, PA 19406
http://7thdimensiongames.com/

The Games Keep, LLC
Gay Street Plaza
561 E Gay St
West Chester, PA 19380

Games Keep is less than 20 miles from Upper Darby and is actually one of the best stocked games stores I have ever shopped. I would also recommend the Complete Strategist that has already been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games Keep in West Chester is well worth the drive. I am also in Delaware County and I happily make the half-hour-ish drive there every Friday for open gaming (starting at 6).

The store is big, the selection is...well, I doubt you have ever seen such a selection of board games in your life. The people are nice (though your mileage may vary, as we are talking about board games you know you'll get the standard board negative board game types as well). Karl (the owner) is great, and he keeps the Magic players away from the designated board game tables. Also the library of store copies is awesome.

Post this (or something else) in the Northeast message board section and you'll get more comments (I'm sure it'll be moved there shortly anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Philly, Spencer!

I'd like to second both Penn Gamers and 7th Dimension.

In addition, there are two locations of a FLGs in town:
https://www.redcapscorner.com/
I have enjoyed the Tuesday night game nights there, as well as Wednesdays at Penn Gamers and Saturdays at 7th Dimension.

There is also an active group of board game meet-ups throughout downtown:
http://www.meetup.com/philly-loves-boardgames/

I mostly stick to Penn Gamers to play and 7th dimension to buy, but the other stuff is cool too and gives you more options of times/places!

Edit: I just remembers that one of the locations of Redcap's Corner is moving to a much larger location a few blocks away. If what I hear is correct, the new location on Lancaster Avenue will be impressive in terms of retail space and space for open gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Neddie Knickers
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
BRRRD EMPR-RR
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:

Ha!

Just a heads up.... The OP Spencer first posted this thread 10 years ago and it seems as if he moved back to Utah! (unless he never changed his location on BGG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plays for keeps wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ha!

Just a heads up.... The OP Spencer first posted this thread 10 years ago and it seems as if he moved back to Utah! (unless he never changed his location on BGG)

Oh gosh, that is hilarious because I never even looked at the date! What a crazy long time to resurrect a post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Philly! Theres a subway line called the Blue Line (also known as Market Frankford Line or simply, the El) that will go from 69th street to University City or Center City. In University City, there are two Redcaps stores and the Penn Gamers. Let me know if you have any questions about either of them.

In Center City, the meetup folks meet regularly at various stores. I would message AdamPhilly or just message the people on the meetup site.

Let me know if you have any questions, I've lived here my whole life and have gone to almost all the gamer groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls