Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm not sure if I want to get the expansions, so I really want to get the most out of the cards I have.

Has anyone tried a version where all players pass their hand of cards to another player after a certain score/event has been reached? I'm just trying to figure out a way to mix up the cards/increase variety of cards in each game that each players has.

Sometimes I can't think of a single things for my cards and would like a total refresh or whatever.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That would have an obvious disadvantage that if I give cards to you, then when I see them played I know they are from you... (Unless cards get further passed along some indeterminate number of steps, but I'd still know that the card is most likely from one of the players immediately after me in the card-passing order.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you pass your hand to another player, then it would be pretty easy to figure out who played a card that was in your hand and that would take away from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a terrible idea! Sorry to say this. But after some rounds it takes away all the fun of Dixit and it remains a "can I remember which card should be where?" contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm...never thought about it that way. It is a horrible idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:

A tip for your honesty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Dixit Odyssey rules do have a "pass your cards" variant (called "Dixit Party" in the rules). The object isn't to guess the storyteller's card, though (for reasons stated above that wouldn't work). The object is to guess the card that is the most popular guess... except the one the storyteller silently vetoes.

http://www.libellud.com/images/stories/dixit_odyssey/Odyssey...

As for the original guess-the-storyteller game but incorporating some semblance of moving/reusing/passing cards - I wonder if it could work that, when there is to be a 'card rotation', each player sets aside N cards from their hand, shuffles them, and deals one at random to each opponent. Then you'd have no idea who got which of the cards you passed, and when you see one of your own former cards you won't know if it's the storyteller's card or just one of the other players who thought it matched the storyteller's story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wilson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A draft mechanic could work at setup, too. Suppose each player draws, say, 10 cards, then picks two to keep and passes the pile to the right. Pick two more from each pile you're presented with until you have selected a hand of eight cards.

Throw the rest back in the box and never draw again- play using normal rules and try to squeeze the highest score out of your own eight cards.

OP's goal was greater replayability, and this version will see fewer cards played each game. There is potentially a problem if the group decides some cards are just more "versatile" than others; they'd be played in more games. I think that'd be a groupthink issue and not a rules issue with this kind of variant, though.

You could obviously adjust the initial hand size and number of passes to suit the number of players and game length you're trying to satisfy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Olaph wrote:
A draft mechanic could work at setup, too. Suppose each player draws, say, 10 cards, then picks two to keep and passes the pile to the right. Pick two more from each pile you're presented with until you have selected a hand of eight cards.

Throw the rest back in the box and never draw again- play using normal rules and try to squeeze the highest score out of your own eight cards.

Then this gets the same memory element that was trying to be avoided above. If you see a card that you declined in the secondlast round of such a 'draft', you'll know it came from the hand of the person you passed it to. So with memory you'll be able to game a certainty of that card being or not being the storyteller's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wilson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You misunderstand; my draft was built two cards at a time (I'm envisioning 4 players) so that you would never see a given pile a second time, and therefore have no basis on which to conclude that any individual has any given card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The way I understand your proposal: Each player draws 10 cards, takes 2, passes the remaining 8 to the right. Then each player takes 2 of the 8 they receive in pass, and pass the remaining 6 to the right. Then each player takes 2 of 6 and passes 4, then each player takes 2 of 4, and the two leftovers get thrown back in the box. Am I right?

OK, so when I received a pack of 6 cards, I saw all six; I took 2 and passed 4 to my right. The person to my right took 2 of those 4 and put 2 back into the box. Now suppose I took good mental note of the makeup of those four cards I gave away.

The problem is, later in the game if I see any one of those four cards that I passed away when I passed four cards, I *know* that card was played by the person to my right. If that's the storyteller, I know which card is the storyteller's as a result of this draft. If that isn't the storyteller's, I know a card to disregard again purely as a result of card tracking from the draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:

Even worse is it removes any ability for a player to plan their clues ahead of time, making the gmae take much much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.