Bob Kovak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am trying to round our collection (this is my wife and I) of games, and one that I am missing is a fun game that has some dice chucking, some resources, a nice amount of interaction, and the feeling of actually building something in the end. We dont mind direct conflict interaction, so thats fine.

(no, I dont have any of our games on The Geek, so dont bother looking at my profile.. sorry!).

Mainly, its just the two of us that play, so a game that fits well with two players is preferred.

Games we have and enjoy:

Citadels
Summoner Wars
Quarriors
Saboteur 1+2
Carcassone Base game
Carcassone The New World
Archaeology
Jaipur
The Stars Are Right

As you can see, I dont have a euro game with resources and/or building up anything.

The only game of this type that I have actually tried is Catan, the base game. I really did not enjoy the game, neither did she. It just felt kind of dry, I hated the resource trading, and really hated how the thief worked.

I have read that the cities and knights expansion can make the game more enjoyable, but Im not entirely sure.

I have read that Stone Age is pretty good for this, but have not played it myself.

Ive wanted to play Troyes, but I dont have a way to try it.

What recommendations do you have that work well with two players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at The Castles of Burgundy. My wife and I played it at BGG.CON in November and really liked it. It has "dice chucking", "resources", and the "feeling of actually building something". However, it lacks in "a nice amount of interaction".

And if "dice chucking" is the preferred component of a good game at your house, look into Quarriors!. Another one my wife and I played and BGG.CON and ended up buying it there.

Good luck!

EDIT: Sorry...missed Quarriors! in your list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally like Airships as far as quick dice throwing games go. There is some decision making, and you're eventually trying to build the Hindenberg.

I hear a lot of people think it's too light, but if you don't want something too heavy, I think it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Columbia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age should be perfect for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just spend half an hour building something out of dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kovak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone played Feudality? It looks.. interesting.

I have played Roll Through the Ages, its.. just ok. Its hard to put my finger on why it didnt really go over very well with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw out Ra: The dice game. We just got his one and have been enjoying it 2p. You're sort of building a civilization with monuments, etc. There's some interaction as you try to block what your opponent is doing, but it's not terribly cutthroat and nasty. Good, fast moving game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Castles of Burgundy: great game! I have played only 2p and it certainly plays in less than an hour with 2p (the first two/three games might take 90 min max). there is no AP as although it is not luck dependant the result of the dice and the available tiles reduce the options and therefore the AP. My wife loves it and you definitly fill like you are building your kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

STONE AGE i spretty solid for 2, and you should also look over Kingsburg - a new edition should be available now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Outkast wrote:

STONE AGE i spretty solid for 2, and you should also look over Kingsburg - a new edition should be available now.

I would agree these are the two that instantly came to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is awesome, but possibly over the 1 hour time limit. You can probably do it though with 2p once you have some experience.

Kingsburg is way less awesome IMHO, but is shorter and has more player interaction. One of the issues I have with it is that it seems to require more players to make it into a game - a lot of the interesting bits rely on people blocking each other to work.

Stone Age is a good suggestion I think, although it probably has less "building something" feel to it. You're still accomplishing things, they're just not necessarily building accomplishments (some of them are and some aren't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 posts and no Galaxy Trucker? Tsk, tsk.

30-60m: check
dice chucking: check
some resources: check
a nice amount of interaction: double check
the feeling of actually building something in the end (and saluting as it gets blown to pieces): triple check.
We dont mind direct conflict interaction: checkaroonie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masons. You're trying to influence the growth of towers, walls, and houses to correspond to your scoring cards. Randomness of dice, but you always get a really cool-looking complex of cities by the end. A very under-rated Colovini game. Can be found cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchan91 wrote:
I am trying to round our collection (this is my wife and I) of games, and one that I am missing is a fun game that has some dice chucking, some resources, a nice amount of interaction, and the feeling of actually building something in the end. We dont mind direct conflict interaction, so thats fine.

sanchan91 wrote:
I have read that Stone Age is pretty good for this, but have not played it myself.

Stone Age has dice rolling, resources, and indirect interaction. And while you can grow your tribe, build buildings, fashion tools, and gain new technologies, I don't feel it gives the sense of building something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth. The building aspect is superficial, but it's a fun, easy game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Airships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Castle for All Seasons is another great choice along the lines of Stone Age but with somewhat more control over your choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kovak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker has dice?

Im going to have to check up on that one again. I read that the game is fun the first few games, but becomes stale after that. Any other thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchan91 wrote:
Galaxy Trucker has dice?

Im going to have to check up on that one again. I read that the game is fun the first few games, but becomes stale after that. Any other thoughts on that?

Dice are rolled to determine random events like where an asteroid or laser will hit you.

I love it and the game is still #1 party game for me.

You have to be in a really competitive mindset to fully enjoy it. I've played in groups where the players will mutually agree to not turn the clock until they build this "perfect" ship which is bullshit. Galaxy Trucker is about weighing the costs and rewards of your mission. The game lets you peak at majority of the event cards so you can build your ship custom tailored to certain hazards (there are some hidden cards and the order they appear is always random). There's a lot of strategy in how the timer mechanic works. If you see someone spending a lot of time carefully constructing their ship the only proper course of action is to flip the clock and watch them sweat. Sometimes it's more prudent to decide that your hunk a junk is finished so you yell "Go!" to start the final timer and flip them the bird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be a bit longer than what you want but lords of Vegas might be up your alley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ya or get some Legos and play them ... jeez... 30 minutes and I feel like I've built something ... lol... try ADD the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
This list may help

Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (71 lists!)

and maybe this one too:

How do you think these multiplayer games play with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Gotta put Kingsburg up - everybody builds up their own little set of buildings, lots of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seond that! Castles of Burgundy is excellent for what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.