Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I am very interested in U-Boat Leader but have a few questions, and since Hornet Leader is awaiting a reprint (can't find a single copy anywhere to ship to NZ in stock) I am considering not waiting and picking this up instead.

I have heard that the game is a quite a bit easier than say Hornet Leader.

I know that there have been some errata changes, how have these changes affected the overall game play?

Optional Rules, I know that there are official variant rules on DVG games page have you played with them?

Do you play with all of the rules or a mix of some?

How are the new torpedo spread rules? Once again I have read some nice variants.

How do these change the game, does it make it harder and more rewarding or make it too hard?

Any thoughts and insights would be great.

Cheers
Russell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Russell,
The U-Boat Leader core rules (rules that come with the game plus the errata on the DVG site) can lead to easy wins after a few games... once you get used to the Tactical Display. I think the main culprit is the Torpedo Spread rules, which basically allow you to easily sink enough ships to get a good or great rating after a while. The Optional torpedo spread rules posted on the DVG site are a little too tough (in my opinion).

As you noted, there are some variants that fall between the two. The one I use is the one where you roll the die with the (# torpedos - 1) modifier for each torpedo, but only use the highest roll (or multiple rolls if there is a tie for the highest). This one seems to work pretty well, making the game harder, but not too hard (or frustrating). Once you have this straigtened out, the game is pretty fun and challenging.

There are some additional rules to enhance the U-Boat experience (tactical event cards, medals,...), but it's mostly for fun and to add some variation. So I wouldn't hesitate to buy the game and dive in.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Oddo
United States
New Windsor
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, DVG indicates that Hornet Leader is at the printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used the original rules and found the game fairly easy to win when I played the long game of the Battle Begins scenario. I have not used any of the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata changes (as opposed to the optional rules) are definitely required. They changed the silent running rules so that you could not use them as a reaction during combat. It was found that silent running was in every way superior to deep dive, so the deep dive reaction was irrelevant. With the change, you will need both tactics on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after reading the rules, errata and optional rules...order placed as there is a shop in NZ that decided to bring it in, which has just landed the stock this week.

So in about a week I should be removing the shrink wrap, another convert to the cause

P.S Dan is ultra nice on the phone to deal with, spoke to him about both Hornet Leader and the new title going to the printers.

I decided to go with U-Boat Leader for now and pick up the other titles later.

(not paying $200.00NZD for Hornet Leader)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.