Subject: Rules Question and Info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard White

North Potomac
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
See bottom right-hand corner of page 5, under "Battle Reinforcements". It shows under "Round 2" (1) CSA 3A2 Art. fire at A2, then (2) USA 3A2 Art. no fire at A0. This makes it seem that there is no firing of the USA guns at A0. But point (6) says "USA 2C2 Inf. retreats" and a footnote that says "This is optional, but wise. USA Artillery fired and cannot retreat this round." Since it seems there are only two choices each round, to either fire or retreat, I believe the A0 artillery did indeed "fire" in order to stay in the battle. The note for point (2) should read: USA 3A2 Artillery (A0 offense, fires at zero). Is my understanding correct?

Info: Don't forget this HQ trick: The detachment HQ can be generated anywhere on the map as a secondary leader (rules 4.21). It seems possible therefore to have double the amount of leaders in the game. If you have units far from the main action without a leader to help, consider generating a leader with the units, then supply it the next turn to give it one point, then use it to activate your brigades. This will allow you to cross territory without the risk of losing strength points to straggling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bevo2034 wrote:
See bottom right-hand corner of page 5, under "Battle Reinforcements". It shows under "Round 2" (1) CSA 3A2 Art. fire at A2, then (2) USA 3A2 Art. no fire at A0. This makes it seem that there is no firing of the USA guns at A0. But point (6) says "USA 2C2 Inf. retreats" and a footnote that says "This is optional, but wise. USA Artillery fired and cannot retreat this round." Since it seems there are only two choices each round, to either fire or retreat, I believe the A0 artillery did indeed "fire" in order to stay in the battle. The note for point (2) should read: USA 3A2 Artillery (A0 offense, fires at zero). Is my understanding correct?

You are right, the example doesn't make sense. The artillery could have retreated on its turn, since it is not the first round of battle. OTOH, artillery with firepower 0 is not forced to retreat. Whether you call that "firing at FP 0" (no chance to hit) or "doing nothing" is just semantics.

For the battle in the example, it actually makes sense to keep the artillery in there a bit longer to increase the chances that the US infantry makes it out alive (of course, you risk losing both units if the CSA player rolls really well). The artillery can then retreat after being fired at by the Confederate artillery one round later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dalgliesh
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Richard:

The artillery "passes". It cannot fire, and does not retreat, so it passes. We have "Pass" as a battle turn option in some games. I guess we could add it here.

There is no problem with building all your detachment HQs if that's your plan. Fremont created a detachment with Schenck who commanded at the Battle of McDowell. Each detachment will cost you 2SPs, 1SP to build at strength 0 and 1SP to increase to strength 1. It's not a free option. Seems fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scotia61 wrote:
Each detachment will cost you 2SPs, 1SP to build at strength 0 and 1SP to increase to strength 1. It's not a free option. Seems fine.

Is this an official rules change? The rules seem to clearly indicate that HQ detachments can be placed like any other detachments for free at 0 steps, then increased to 1 step for 1 SP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shenandoah: Jackson’s Valley Campaign Ver.1.1

I received my copy of the revised rules v.1.1! I think it's time to revisit the game! Jackson is scary and it is a challenge to tame him!

The major changes are:

1) 4.21 Headquarters: HQs no longer count for move limits or stacking in supply.

2) 4.23: Cavalry that retreat on the first round of battle must make a straggler roll if enemy cavalry is present.

3) 5.11 Command Range: Jackson HQ now has a CR2, however Jackson CR 2 cannot be traced through a blue town, unless occupied by CSA units.

4) 5.13: Stragglers: CSA units “Foot cavalry”, now fail with only a roll of 1-2.

5) 8.1: Shields: Units can move, retreat or regroup off-map to gain VPs. SPs can be used to rebuild Shields units’ off-map.

6) Initiative: Except in turn 1, high roller chooses who is Player 1 for the Game Turn.

Notes: Clarified CSA rail movement is any distance along the line. Optional detachment rule does not apply to HQs.
Jackson CR2: For the record this HQ may not trace CR2 through a contested or enemy controlled town!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.