4 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Battling the GOO rules / variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
I got Elder Sign a few weeks ago and so far I really like it! At first it was indeed a bit too easy, but then I applied a few house rules that I found here at the forums, and the game became much more interesting. In particular, I’m playing with the fixed layout of the adventure cards (the entrance is at the center surrounded by the six adventure cards; the movement is limited to the neighboring cards; when the other dimension card is drawn, the investigator is trapped there until she completes it or dies) and I’m moving the clock forward by six hours if playing with one investigator or four hours if playing with two.

What puzzles me, however, are the rules for battling the GOO. I don’t know if it is just me, but I find the rules in the official user guide somewhat vague. So please tell me if this is right:

When the GOO awakens, the mythos cards and everything else at the main board is ignored. It’s just the GOO, the investigators, and the clock. In your turn, you roll the dice, trying to get the tasks of the GOO. The process is the same as in completing the adventure cards. If you succeed, you lock the dice and move on with trying to score once again with the remaining dice. If you fail, you remove one of the dice and try again. You can complete the GOO task as many times as you can until the dice run out. So if you’re rolling six dice, for example, you can complete a 3-dice task two times at most. After your dice run out, you remove the doom tokens (one doom token for one completed task) and move the clock forward. If the clock strikes midnight, the GOO attacks.

So far so good? Did I get this right?

Now here’s what puzzles me: If I’m playing solo with one investigator, I get devoured against most of the GOO’s. For example if I’m battling Hastur and don’t have any clue tokens, I’m dead within four turns if playing with the six-hour time lapse rule. And there’s nothing I can do about it. So should I just draw another investigator, and then another, and another, ... , until they run out or I finally manage to eliminate all the doom tokens from the card, or am I missing something here? I’m also asking because I saw some comments that battling the GOO is extremely easy, but I just don’t see it how?

Now, moving on, I have a second question / request. Are there any interesting house rules regarding the final GOO battles? I also like the idea that battling the GOO should be mandatory after collecting the required number of elder signs, but how is this best handled? Any ideas, suggestions, house rules etc. would be most appreciated!

Huh, quite a lengthy post. Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
LipaB wrote:
So far so good? Did I get this right?

As far as I can tell from your description, you appear to be playing this correctly.
LipaB wrote:
Now here’s what puzzles me: If I’m playing solo with one investigator, I get devoured against most of the GOO’s. For example if I’m battling Hastur and don’t have any clue tokens, I’m dead within four turns if playing with the six-hour time lapse rule. And there’s nothing I can do about it. So should I just draw another investigator, and then another, and another, ... , until they run out or I finally manage to eliminate all the doom tokens from the card, or am I missing something here? I’m also asking because I saw some comments that battling the GOO is extremely easy, but I just don’t see it how?

To be clear, once the Final Battle starts you do not get to draw new Investigators anymore. If they have all been devoured then you have lost.

As for you finding the Final Battle difficult, I'm not surprised! Playing with only one Investigator and using the house-rule where you advancing the clock 6 hours, you are going to get creamed.

The Final Battle game mechanic breaks down with only one player (and I don't think using two Investigators is much better). Once the Investigator is devoured, then it is over. I suspect the Final Battle was balanced for 3 to 4 players and they didn't bother adjusting the balance for 1.

Mind, going into the Final Battle against Hastur with no clues is a good step to being devoured Having 6 hours turns only makes this worse of course.

If you want a house rule for playing only one Investigator then I would suggest that you are allowed "replacements". Allow a total of three replacements before you lose. This could apply to 1 to 3 player / investigator games, allow it such that you only lose when the fourth Investigator is devoured.

BTW, don't forget to check out the official FAQ on the FFG site.
LipaB wrote:
Now, moving on, I have a second question / request. Are there any interesting house rules regarding the final GOO battles? I also like the idea that battling the GOO should be mandatory after collecting the required number of elder signs, but how is this best handled? Any ideas, suggestions, house rules etc. would be most appreciated!

I now use this house-rule.

* If you fail to collect the necessary Elder Signs before the AO awakes then you automatically lose.
* Once you collect the necessary Elder Signs, then you enter Final Battle. The AO awakes but you do not fill the Doom Track. If you do use Azathoth then it's an automatic win at this point, all other AOs mean you need to remove the remaining Doom Tokens to win.

Makes for a more interesting game IMHO.

I must finish my Elder Sign: Abominations Expansion project and make it available here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Brynildsen
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think you need to lock the dice after completing a GOO task (IIRC). You can try again and again, discarding a die everytime you fail the task. When you are finished, you move the clock and your turn is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Slimduck87 wrote:
I don't think you need to lock the dice after completing a GOO task (IIRC). You can try again and again, discarding a die everytime you fail the task. When you are finished, you move the clock and your turn is over.

If I understand what you are saying then you are incorrect.

Perhaps an example would help to ensure everyone is on the same page.
You are in the Final Battle against Nyarlathotep, you need to roll 2 Terror results to remove a Doom token.

On your turn you have 6 Green dice in your dice pool.

You roll 6 green dice and the result is
Terror, Lore, Lore, Peril, 3 Investigations, 3 Investigations.

You decide not to spend a Clue (because you need them to survive an attack by Nyarlathotep) so you fail and put aside 1 die.

You roll 5 green dice and the result is
Terror, Terror, Lore, 1 Investigation, 1 Investigation, 3 Investigations.

You succeed so you remove one Doom token, The two die (Terror, Terror) remain on the AO card.

You roll 3 green dice and the result is
Terror, Terror, Peril.

Lucky! You succeed again so you remove a second Doom token, The two die (Terror, Terror) remain on the AO card.

You only have 1 green die left to you now stop. In this example you rolled the dice three times and managed to remove a total of 2 Doom tokens in your turn.

BTW. While it doesn't matter, the term "lock" is incorrect in this situation (since locked dice mean something specific in this game). The dice are not locked but they are no longer available to be used again this turn. Whenever you complete a task, the dice used remain on the task and are no longer available to be used again this turn, this is true for completing tasks on Adventure cards as it is true for completing tasks on the AO card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.