Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
In the original rulebook (not the anchovy expansion), the safety rule states, "If a player has no more than 1 topping in any slice, all of that player's toppings are safe and may not be removed or replaced this round."

Another way of reading this rule provided by one of the game designers (Greg Powers) is, "If all of your toppings are in separate slices then you are safe that round."

Greg elaborates with, "The Safety Rule is most common during the first few turns of the game, guaranteed to apply if you only have one topping on the board, and impossible to apply if you have more than 7 toppings on the board."

Hope that clears up any confusion. You can always play the anchovy rules and skip the entire issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
spoelzing wrote:
In the original rulebook (not the anchovy expansion), the safety rule states, "If a player has no more than 1 topping in any slice, all of that player's toppings are safe and may not be removed or replaced this round."

Another way of reading this rule provided by one of the game designers (Greg Powers) is, "If all of your toppings are in separate slices then you are safe that round."

Greg elaborates with, "The Safety Rule is most common during the first few turns of the game, guaranteed to apply if you only have one topping on the board, and impossible to apply if you have more than 7 toppings on the board."

Hope that clears up any confusion. You can always play the anchovy rules and skip the entire issue.
Thanks. That helps a LOT. As worded, I couldn't tell if it was trying to say that all singletons were safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU for posting this. Incredibly unclear in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the example show green's topping in one slice being replaced with white's, then?

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wichita
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because while it's true that green had only one topping in Slice C and D, green had two toppings in Slice A, thus negating safety in ALL slices.

In other words, safety isn't applied on a slice-by-slice basis, but rather on the whole board. If you have more than one topping in even just one slice, you lose safety in all slices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris James
United States
Payson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the clarification, as I also found the wording to be confusing.

What still irks me about the safety rule is that it doesn't protect you from losing all of your toppings if you have more than 1 topping in a single slice. For instance: red has 2 toppings in slice A and 1 topping in slice B; green has 3 toppings in slice A and 2 toppings in slice B; green replaces all of red's toppings. A great move for green, but overly crippling for red - getting enough toppings back on the board to start gaining momentum again is too difficult.

This came up 2 or 3 times in just a few plays and all but destroyed the player's chance of winning. I'm not sure if this is intended or not, but it seems that the purpose of the safety rule is to prevent something like this from happening.

Perhaps the safety rule should be extended: if a player is in a position to lose all of his toppings, they are all safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
stratus wrote:
I appreciate the clarification, as I also found the wording to be confusing.

I concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.