Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Comeaux begged for a game of Groo, so I reluctantly agreed. Not that it is a bad game, it's just that we played quite a bit of it awhile back and I kind of got burnt out on it.

The card game is based on the Groo series of comics wherein Groo, a bumbling barbarian, unwittingly wreaks havoc on each player's troops and towns. The idea is to build a town worth at least 7 victory points while trying your best to keep Groo away from it.

Each turn, players roll dice, which not only steer Groo's movement path, but also give certain supplies needed to construct buildings, build troops and play 'Groo effects' cards, which usually cause Groo to go on a rampage, destroying troops and/or buildings at the town where he is currently located (hopefully an opponent's). The player uses which supplies he can to perform these tasks, then passes the unused supplies around the table for his opponents to use (if they can). Everyone refills their hands, and the game continues. This cycle continues until someone constructs a town worth at least 7 victory points and keeps it intact by the end of their turn.

The diabolical part of this game is that Groo frequently wanders to your town and kicks the heck out of it. It is a constant struggle of building and rebuilding. As in many card games, it ultimately comes down to luck. And in this game, luck comes not only in the 'luck of the draw', but in the luck of the dice rolling for supplies, too.

Now, normally all of this luck would be a big turn-off for me, but for some reason, it kind of works in Groo. The game is meant to be chaos, and it achieves just that. One is never quite safe from the rampaging barbarian, or the nastiness of the cards played.

This was one of the quickest Groo games I've ever played. We were all worried about Lenny, who built the Orphanage on the very first turn. The orphanage protects that players town AND troops from any Groo effects cards, so we all were constantly attacking his troops in an effort to get through his defenses and destroy that Orphanage.

Suddenly, after a card which required us to switch hands, Jon promptly constructed an incredible seven points of buildings on his turn and captured a surprising victory. Did I mention that there's a lot of luck in this game?

Finals: Jon 7, Lenny 3, Ashton 1, Greg 0

Ratings: Ashton 7, Jon 6, Lenny 6, Greg 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.