$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
114 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Discussion and Feedback Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
The Battle of Agincourt and the Death of Chivalry
badge
Tastes of Siege is my new game for the Children's Game Design Contest
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve received a few emails asking about the rules for this year’s Solitaire Print and Play contest so I thought I would start a discussion thread to get some feedback about it. This is not an entry thread. Please don’t discuss individual game designs, etc. I’ll post an entry thread closer to the beginning of the contest. Also, tips to this thread will not directly go to any contest prize pools. You’re welcome to tip, but be advised that I’ll just blow it on microbadges.

This thread is very early, the contest isn’t scheduled to begin until July (I’ve already reserved the time) but this will give me plenty of time to plan an awesome contest. I think that the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest was a big success and I’d like to see this one get even more participation.

I’m planning on changing the way voting is done. I wasn’t a big fan of the email system I used last year but I also don’t want to create a public poll on BGG. I might end up creating an offsite voting system. The general prize pool will probably be divided between the first, second, and third place games, although so much geekgold was collected in last year’s contest that I’ve thought about dividing it up between the top five games since there would be plenty for everyone.

One of the biggest changes I’m planning on making to this year’s contest is the way I handle the categories. This year, people will be able to contribute geekgold either to the general prize pool or to any of the categories. This way, people can contribute to the category they are most interested in, such as wargame or sci fi game. In addition, people will be able to vote on the individual categories, in addition to the general best games.

The planned categories this year are:
Best Wargame
Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Themed Game
Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Themed Game
Best Artwork
Best Small Game (limit of a certain number of pages. Probably a play in bed type game)
Best Large Game (minimum of a certain number of pages)
Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game. (This category will contain some limitations. The game should primarily consist of cards. A reasonable amount of cubes or other tokens that the average game has will be allowed but other than a possible player board and the rules, there shouldn’t be additional components that need to be printed).

Of course, people may offer geekgold for their own special categories, but I think I’m going to encourage participation in the official categories more strongly than I did last year. The reason for this is that I want them to be successful but I also noticed last year that not very many people participated in the special category prizes.

Another change is a stronger emphasis on the WIP/Entry thread. Last year I let this slide a little and let a few games enter that didn’t have an entry thread, but this year I’m going to enforce it. These threads make it easy for people to quickly find your game and all the components needed to play. A lot of new users participate in these contests so I don’t want anyone to have trouble locating the games.

I don’t envision a lot of changes to the rules from last year. Right now. they are largely the same with a few minor edits. I’d like to get some feedback from everyone about these rules.

Contest Rules
Game Play
This contest should be purpose-designed solitaire play games. Multi-player options are allowed but the primary focus of the game should be for solo play. A good example is something like B-17, which has a two player option, but was primarily designed to be enjoyed by one.

The games should have a decision tree or a way for players to react to the randomness. Games should not be decided (won or lost) regardless of player action (ala Klondike). Also, games should not be two-player games in which the player must play both sides (ala A Victory Lost).

Components
Other than solitaire play, there are no specific design qualifications for this contest. The game mechanics, theme, and amount of randomness are left to the discretion of the game designers. There is no minimum or maximum limit on the number of components or rule length. Designers should be aware that larger games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

All games must be printable on regular A4/American Letter Paper. Large format maps and boards are okay as well so long as they can also be printed on A4/Letter paper. (For example, if a designer made a board that was designed to be printed on A3/11x17 paper, they should also provide an alternative where it can be printed on two sheets of A4/Letter paper.) Here is a useful document for determining the margin size of sheets designed to be printed on either A4 or Letter paper.

Designers are free to design whatever components work for their game. If designers want to make games that are Artscow ready or designed to be printed on perforated business cards, etc they are welcome to do so, provided that the game is also available in PDF form.

Circle, hexagonal, and other shaped pieces are allowed. If you are going to create games with difficult to cut pieces, please be aware that not everyone has a good tool to craft these and consider using squares if possible.

Designers can require that players provide a reasonable number of cubes, dice, etc.

Game Design
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game cannot have been entered in a previous contest and it can't have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to Jan 1st, 2012.

Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, etc.

Designers may submit multiple games to the contest.

Designers may plan on selling their game when the contest is done, so long as it is freely available as PNP during the the contest.

Game Submission
Games entered in this contest should have a WIP/Entry Thread entered in the Design Contest Forum, the Board Game Design Forum, BGG Blog, or an Entry on the BGG Game Page (assuming the game has been submitted to the database). The first post of this WIP thread should contain the following:
A link to the entry thread
A two or three sentence Game Summary
An image of the game
Description of Components
Playing Time
Links to the game. Rules and components should be in pdf or 300dpi JPEG (pdf is preferred). The files can be hosted on your own webserver, Google Docs, Drop Box, or in your personal BGG image gallery.
All of the above information will be required in the entry thread. Any other info is at the designer's discretion. Please keep the first post in your WIP/Entry thread updated with current links and information about the game.

To enter a game in the contest, please post to the entry thread or email me directly with a link to your WIP/Entry thread. The first post of the Contest Thread will contain a link to all games entered in the contest.

Example WIP/Entry Thread
Quote:
WIP Thread for Electric Boogaloo Solo
Designed for the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

In Electric Boogaloo Solo, you are a dancer hoping to win the Electric Boogaloo Dance Off. You'll battle your way through five elimination rounds using cards to make dance move combinations. Hand management is key if you want to defeat the reigning king of Electric Boogaloo in the finals!

Electric Boogaloo Solo contains 60 Dance Cards, 10 Dance Master Chits, and 10 Dance Challenge Scenario Cards. Players must provide their own rhinestones. The game plays in under 30 minutes.

Download links:
Rules
Game Components
Low Ink Version

Recommendations (Not Required)
Games should have a Low Ink alternative so people can try them without using too much printer ink. This could be a version without graphics or a greyscale version.

Games should be as easy to assemble as possible. Designers should be aware that larger and hard-to-build games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

If the designer knows how to build Vassal mods, it might be nice to provide one for the game so people can try it without the cost of ink and build time. This could help more people try more games - especially if the game is larger. To be clear, building a vassal mod is not a requirement for entering the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: 2012 Contest Categories
Please rate the proposed contest categories.
Please rate how you feel about the proposed 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Categories.
  Dislike this category Not excited for this category No Opinion Excited for this category Very excited for this category Vote Count
Best Wargame 3.0% (3) 14.1% (14) 22.2% (22) 36.4% (36) 24.2% (24) 99
Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Themed Game 9.2% (9) 17.3% (17) 22.4% (22) 32.7% (32) 18.4% (18) 98
Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Themed Game 0.0% (0) 2.0% (2) 8.1% (8) 42.4% (42) 47.5% (47) 99
Best Artwork 2.1% (2) 7.2% (7) 12.4% (12) 38.1% (37) 40.2% (39) 97
Best Small Game 3.0% (3) 5.0% (5) 10.0% (10) 35.0% (35) 47.0% (47) 100
Best Large Game 3.1% (3) 14.4% (14) 26.8% (26) 30.9% (30) 24.7% (24) 97
Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game 14.1% (14) 42.4% (42) 19.2% (19) 17.2% (17) 7.1% (7) 99
Total Voters 100
This poll is now closed.   100 answers
Poll created by chansen2794
Closes: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 am

Also, please reply with any additional categories that you'd like to see. Once I get a few suggestions I'll create another poll about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
These polls are specifically about the entry rules for the contest
1. How far back should entries be allowed?
Jan 1 2012
September 2011 (The end of the 2011 Contest)
March 1 2012 (The date the 2012 Contest was announced)
2. What should be the limit on number of games a designer can enter?
No Limit
3. Some people felt that by allowing Vassal versions of the game last year, some games had an unfair advantage since not every game had a Vassal module. On the other hand, the Vassal modules enabled more people to play the games without assembly time. Should Vassal/Cyberboard/Other versions of the games be allowed with entries this year?
Yes
No
4. Last year's contest had 33 entries which was quite a bit to assemble. Based on the emails I've received from designers, I anticipate having even more entries this year. Should the total number of entries be restricted to a manageable number?
No, people will just make the games they are interested in regardless of the number of entries.
Yes, we should discuss this possibility.
      101 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Vassal Use in the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
A quick poll on how much you used Vassal in the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
How many games from the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest did you...?
  1-5 6-10 11-20 21-30 31+ Vote Count
Read the Rules 29.2% (7) 20.8% (5) 25.0% (6) 12.5% (3) 12.5% (3) 24
Print and Build 70.8% (17) 20.8% (5) 4.2% (1) 0.0% (0) 4.2% (1) 24
Play 66.7% (16) 12.5% (3) 16.7% (4) 4.2% (1) 0.0% (0) 24
Total Voters 24
How many games from the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest did you use Vassal on?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
50.0% 12
1-5
29.2% 7
6-10
4.2% 1
11-15
12.5% 3
16+
4.2% 1
Voters 24
Did you play/read the rules any of the games that did not have Vassal modules? (For example, Them!, Flipping Out: The House Remodel Game, Derelicts of Sin: Heresy, Touchstone: Oubliette, and Queens of Fate)
I didn't play or read the rules of any games not on Vassal
13.0% 3
I read the rules of some or all but did not print or play any of these games
39.1% 9
I printed and played some or all of these games
47.8% 11
Voters 23
How did you use Vassal in the 2011 Print and Play Solitaire Contest for the following games. The first question is specifically about the three winners, the other questions are about the size of the game and the games listed are just examples.
  I didn't use it. I printed the games. I printed the games and used Vassal as a supplement. I printed some games and used Vassal on others. I only used Vassal. I did not print the game. Vote Count
For the three contest winners (Inspector Moss: House Arrest, Shadows Upon Lassadar, and Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Game) 55.6% (10) 16.7% (3) 5.6% (1) 22.2% (4) 18
For large/difficult builds (For example, Coin Rail Yard, Raider 16: Atlantis, and Zed Force) 44.4% (8) 16.7% (3) 22.2% (4) 16.7% (3) 18
For medium size/moderate builds (For example 8-Bit Invaders, Slimes of D, Bibliogamo, and Sunburst City Transport) 50.0% (9) 11.1% (2) 22.2% (4) 16.7% (3) 18
For single page/easy builds (For example (Rallytaire, Enki-Des: The Soul Gates, and Thermopylae solo) 61.1% (11) 11.1% (2) 22.2% (4) 5.6% (1) 18
Total Voters 20
Did the availability of Vassal mods affect your playing/voting?
No. I didn't use Vassal Mods
52.2% 12
No. I used the Vassal Mods but they didn't affect my voting. I would have played the same games even if Vassal Mods hadn't been available.
21.7% 5
Yes. The Vassal Mods allowed me to try and vote for more games than I otherwise would have been able to. I still printed some games.
21.7% 5
Yes. I only played games on Vassal.
4.3% 1
Voters 23
Please rate your Vassal experience
  I am not interested in this I don't know how to do this but would like to learn I have some experience with this I am very experienced at this Vote Count
I can load modules, save log files, etc 30.4% (7) 8.7% (2) 30.4% (7) 30.4% (7) 23
I can play games on Vassal 25.0% (6) 12.5% (3) 33.3% (8) 29.2% (7) 24
I can build games on Vassal 37.5% (9) 45.8% (11) 12.5% (3) 4.2% (1) 24
Total Voters 24
This poll is now closed.   27 answers
Closes: Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:00 am

Poll: Follow Up Vassal Question for 2011 Contest
One further question, as suggested by Chad Mestdagh
How many games from the 2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest did you play...
  Not Applicable 1-5 6-10 11-20 21-30 31+ Vote Count
If you only printed the games 23.5% (4) 35.3% (6) 41.2% (7) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 17
If you printed and used Vassal on the games 78.6% (11) 7.1% (1) 0.0% (0) 7.1% (1) 7.1% (1) 0.0% (0) 14
If you only used Vassal on the games 73.3% (11) 6.7% (1) 13.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 6.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 15
Total Voters 18
This poll is now closed.   18 answers
Closes: Fri Jun 1, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i see you have some reservations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
All looks good except for one thing: the game I would have wanted to enter wouldn't be accepted! I finished it and put it up on the site after Christmas of 2011. It was too late to enter it into the contest last year, but, by the looks of it, it's too early to enter into the contest for THIS year.

Should you move the cutoff period back to the final entry time for your last contest so you don't end up missing games that were finished in that twilight hour between contests?

Just a thought. Otherwise I guess I'll just design something else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Should you move the cutoff period back to the final entry time for your last contest so you don't end up missing games that were finished in that twilight hour between contests?

That's something else we can discuss. On the one hand, I'd like to limit the number of games somewhat to avoid having an overwhelming number of games, but on the other hand I don't want to exclude people.

Also, I'm somewhat inclined to extend the deadline for the entries back to September of 2011 since this I think this contest is a good way for designers to promote their designs. On the other hand, I would like the emphasis of this contest to be on new designs. That's why I restrict games that have been entered on other contests.

I'll create a poll about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with the "No WIPs/BGG entries" part, but where do blogs fit in? I know that Michele Esmanech has a blog going about his new solitaire stealth game, and I've started one (irregularly updated) about a sci fi solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention that P. D. Magnus has given his blessing to including the Decktet as one of the categories. I know that traditional card games aren't thrilling, but I'm actually pretty excited for this category. I enjoyed Deck Siege and Queens of Fate from last year's contest. I think it's nice to have a few PNP games that don't require much more than the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
are small and large games by footprint or component count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I'm fine with the "No WIPs/BGG entries" part, but where do blogs fit in? I know that Michele Esmanech has a blog going about his new solitaire stealth game, and I've started one (irregularly updated) about a sci fi solitaire game.

These are part of the general time limit question. The bigger question for me is when the game was made available, not when the designer had the idea for it. The "No WIPs/BGG entries" refers to previous contests or games that have been available on BGG for longer than the contest time limits (whatever they work out to be). The fact that you and Michele Esmanech have discussed the design process in a blog does not in any way disqualify you from entering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
are small and large games by footprint or component count?

I picture it as a combination of the two. I was inspired by your category of 'Best game I can play in bed' from last year when making this. The category for "Small Game" would be for games with a small footprint and a limited number of components. "Large Game" (I'm thinking 7+ pages of components) are almost always larger footprint games by default.

Maybe it's best to split them apart into Easy Build and Small Foot Print. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that gets to be too many categories. 'small and large games' and let the designer wrought what they willst

for me that means an 8 foot long game using receipt tape! and don't think i won't do it naysayers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for keeping the categories simple. It would be very easy for them to explode into an unmanageable number.

I think that most of the designers ignored the categories and just designed the games that they wanted to anyway. The winner of the contest, Inspector Moss: House Arrest, didn't match any of the categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
dumarest123 wrote:
i think that gets to be too many categories. 'small and large games' and let the designer wrought what they willst

for me that means an 8 foot long game using receipt tape! and don't think i won't do it naysayers

I Challenge You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:

I Challenge You.

I'm making this an official category in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!!!I have been looking forward to this, and I have a couple of games that are waiting to enter the contest....

thanx Chris for another great contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WAIT!!!
Electric Boogaloo isn't a REAL game?!?!?!

cry cry cry cry cry cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
WAIT!!!
Electric Boogaloo isn't a REAL game?!?!?!

cry cry cry cry cry cry

This is your opportunity. Honestly, I'm excited about any game that uses rhinestones and dance master chits. For that matter, if there was a game that used rhinestones, dance master chits and 8 feet of receipt tape I'd be all over that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
For that matter, if there was a game that used rhinestones

Buccaneer comes close to having rhinestones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to participate in this contest again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How long has that second poll been up? I only just saw it...

Anyway, I don't think that flooding the contest with entries is inherently a bad thing. Will some of them go largely unplayed? Unfortunately, yes, and that will impact the voting. But I personally think that the goal of the contest should not be to reward two or three designers for doing a good job, but to encourage everybody to work on and complete their games. Discouraging creativity or limiting the number of entries is counter to that goal. I say, let's just generate a lot of awesome solitaire games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNvP wrote:
I am excited to participate in this contest again.

I'm excited to play the entries again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of your questions regarding the rules for the contest sort of work each other out. If you limit the number of entries any particular designer can submit to 1, then you shouldn't have a problem regarding having too many total entries, which would mean no designers would be potentially left out of the contest.

I also think being able to submit entries since September of 2011 is fair, instead of trying to fit the contest to a more restrictive time spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think part of the strangeness with these contests is that each game has a different number of people trying it out and we don't know who's going to try what. It makes it hard to perceive an election/contest as "fair" when the total number of voters possible for each entry isn't the same. This makes me wonder if the contest is more about game designing or marketing.

The only way I can see to work this out without having some kind of "sign up process" (which may limit contestants options on which games they can play) is to say that a certain number of people need to be willing to say "I'll try that out" before it can be added to the official list.

Also, if there is a minimum number of people trying out each game on the official list, maybe the final winners should be judged not on the total number of votes but rather on the percentage of votes that favor it?

Or maybe I'm the only one bothered by the marketing aspect. It is a crucial part of the print-and-play gaming industry, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.